1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

shell crimp

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Beni, Nov 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beni

Beni Member

I use mec reloaders,and have a 650 jr.set up for my homamade sabots,the final crimp on this one really puts a dish on the crimp. Compared to my other loaders the crimps are more level,all crimps appear to be perfect. My question is why deep dish a crimp,does it help develop load PSI. Beni

2. MKillian

MKillian TS Member

The height of the crimp shoulders (not the center of the crimp) effect the peak pressure of a load.

A dished crimp indicates that the component stack inside the load is too short for the hull.

Mike K

3. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Mike said it nicely; in an ordinary shotgun cartridge, you need the appropriate wad for the hull, the appropriate amount of shot, and a good choice on powder and amount thereof. Stack all that together and tighten it all up with a crimp and you have a nicely loaded shell. I don't know what the sabot situation might do for you.......breakemall

4. MKillian

MKillian TS Member

Can we assume from your reference to "sabots" that you are loading slugs?

I haven't seen it all but I've never seen a slug loaded with anything bu a roll crimp.

Mike K

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

A special Turkey shoot round with an eight point crimp?

6. Beni

Beni Member

Yes Mike it is a sabot slug load right from the Lyman book. I loaded some sabots today on both loaders and the crimps on both were different. What I found out was the loader that dishes the crimp ultimatly tears the pedals from the wads,the flat crimp loader does not and has way better accuracy at the 50yd. mark. I still cant understand the deep dish Im sure its in the crimper on the older press?? beni

7. Bama73

Bama73 Member

You might try raising the final crimp die on the 650 to see if that helps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.