1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shell catcher wanted

Discussion in 'Want to Buy/Trade Threads' started by cottondoctor, Jun 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cottondoctor

cottondoctor Member

0   0   0

I am looking for a shell catcher for a Winchester Super X-2 and X-3. Does anyone have any experience with the Birchwood Casey Save-It Shell Catcher as sold by Gamaliel? Or does anyone have any suggestions…..thanks in advance

2. drh08

drh08 TS Member

0   0   0

I use one on my Super Sport. They work OK but take some fiddling to get it correct. They come with 2 faced tape to hold them on. My suggestion is to throw the 2 faced tape away. Head to the auto parts store and get the 2 faced tape that made for car moldings. The one that comes with the catcher will fall off about every 3-5 weeks and more if you clean the gun using oil.

These work great, you just need to make sure you use the same shell. Meaning you will bend this thing to catch every 1 oz load you are using, however 7/8 may bounce back into the gun, 1 1/8 may jump out of the catcher and land on the ground. I assume you are thinking trap and you favorite round, then you are good to go.

Make sure to get the body molding tape, it can take a little time to get it bent just correctly to catch everything and then it falls off and you are back to square one.

3. mirage1

mirage1 Member

0   0   0

T & S may make one for that model-check with them.

4. Tom Morton

Tom Morton TS Member

0   0   0

Hi PhDTrap;
    Tom Morton and Company produces a gas operated shell catcher and recoil reducer for the Winchester Super X-2. I don't know if that catcher will work on the SX-3, as we don't have one of those guns to make that determination.

If you go to this URL (( http://tommortonandcompany.com/maforwisxau.html )), which is a page in our Website, you can read all about the Morton Automated Shell Catcher and Gas Operated Recoil Reducer (MASC-GORR) for the Winchester Super X-2 and Browning Gold (these two guns are virtually identical).

If you have any questions, please feel free to give me a call. Contact phone numbers are on our Home Page, which is: http://tommortonandcompany.com/ Or you can send me an email at tombmorton@aol.com

Tom Morton

5. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

0   0   0

I use the Birchwood Casey on my SX2 and it works very well. I am familiar with this shell catcher design since the 70's, as well as the Tom Morton design. It takes a little fussing to get the BC unit right, but once it does, it works quite well.....better than nothing, short of a large rubber band over the ejection port.

T&S does not currently make a shell catcher for the SX2 or SX3.

Another design I have seen is where 2 holes are drilled along the bottom edge of the top of the ejection port and piano wire is bent and shaped to run about 1/8 inch down from the top edge of the ejection port, parallel to it. It is almost un-detecable when installed correctly, but I would suggest a professional gunsmith install it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
save-it shell catcher falls off
shell catcher for super x3
shell catcher for winchester sx3
shell catcher winchester sx3
shotgun shell catcher for winchester
sx3 shell catcher
winchester shell catcher

winchester sx3 shell catcher