1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shell boxer

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by sakoboomer, Sep 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sakoboomer

sakoboomer TS Member

I spent another boring evening boxing loaded shells and am wondering if there is a shell boxing machine out there. You would think someone would come up with one since this is a task we all have to do and I am sure we would all agree is not the best use of our time.
    I am thinking that with everyone trying to build a better whatever someone has come up with one somewhere that would be affortable.

I am anxious to see pictures if some one has home built one of these!!!!!!

Anybody got any ideas???????

Rick

2. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Is that not the wife's job????????

Gne J, what thinks I'm gonna get plenty of flack over this.

3. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

I'm not aware of any shell boxing machines. The MEC E-Z Pak may be as close as you get.

4. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I use the MEC ez pak while I am reloading. It does save a little time. Good Luck

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

I have never used the device. It appears to me to be about as time consuming as putting them in boxes. I load 400-600 shells that fall into a drawer under the loader. It does take a while to box them. I also separate the red and the gray AA shells into different boxes. I have no idea why I do that.

Factories have a system where the shells are stacked first and then a box is formed around the stack.

Pat Ireland

6. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

<blockquote>"I also separate the red and the gray AA shells into different boxes. I have no idea why I do that."</blockquote>
    You probably do it for the same reason I do, Pat... out of fear that the shells won't perform to their potential if they aren't among friends.

Seriously, the E-Z Pak is WAY faster than putting shells directly into the box, and it's even faster than fast if you're not someone who is anal about having to have the bases alternate in the box.

Carol Lister

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

ez pak saves time

8. RV4driver

RV4driver TS Member

"you're not someone who is anal about having to have the bases alternate in the box."

I'm going to pretend that I didn't hear that...

OMG, the horror! If you think they get aroused by being in boxes with "mixed colors" just try to imagine how they'd react to being misaligned!

Jeff

aligning and sorting as we speak, just to be safe

9. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I separate them by colors, except around Christmas when I put Red and Green together.

I can actually load a box just as fast or faster than the EZ pack. I have a few I've collected over the years and rarely use them.

I always align the bases in an alternating pattern. It becomes an "automatic" process when you do enough of them. I'd have to think about NOT doing it that way. It also gives another chance to inspect the final product.

10. DENNISMASTROLIA1

DENNISMASTROLIA1 Active Member

I went this route in the past.I now just empty the shells into a carry all and at the field place 27 shells in my vest pocket.Saves time and all of that "obsessive compulsive" non-sense.

11. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

I have several friends who box their shells then dump them out of the box into the pocket of their shooting vest. They never know how many targets they have shot from a post and are always looking around to see if they should put a new shell in their gun or to move to the next post. I just don't get it. Why not shoot "out of the box"? Then you would know how many shots were left at your present post and when it is time to move.

12. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

<blockquote>"... I just don't get it. Why not shoot "out of the box"? Then you would know how many shots were left at your present post and when it is time to move."</blockquote>
    I think learning to count to 5 would be far more useful (and less costly) than buying a special pouch to haul boxed shells around in.

Lister

13. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

It does seem counterproductive and counterintuitive to take the time to painstakingly suff the boxes with alternating brass only to tump them out in your favorite pouch on the line--I'd never thought about it before.

I must confess that I've never reloaded a single round of ammunition. Since the Grand however I'm the proud owner of 20 flats of STS, AA and Gold Medals. My friend and neighbor Federal Mike has promised to show me the ropes this winter on his reloader.

I'll have to decide which route I'll follow regarding the boxing of my new creations as I'm not a "tumper".

Like Birdogs I keep my place based on what's left in my box. I'm very dependant on this technique. To illustrate, just this past weekend while shooting doubles one of my shells didn't go off. Calmly and with the composure of a tenured veteran, I removed the offending culprit from its tube, gave it the once over, then grabbed another from my box (instead of my spares clip fer some friggin reason) and shot my pair. I then turned smartly to my right from post five and went into meltdown as I notice the guy on one shooting a pair and the guy on post four looking at me like I was a retard. Oh the embarrassment of it all!!!

Green and red ones mixed together sound rather festive. Those pesty Gold Medals with their gauche burgundy hulls and long brass will clash with either, and I can't keep their boxes cause I had to mutilate each in order to redeem my coveted rebate.

I'll bet Redskins fans really like Gold Medals. I was never much of a Skins fan. I wonder what Pat, Martin and Bob Dodd would do???

If only I'd bought some silver bullets instead....

Guy Babin

14. Pull Bang

Pull Bang Member

Go MEC E-Z Pak. Why handle your shells the second time? Been using one for years. I pluck the finished shell from my loader, place in E-Z Pac, when full, strip a box down over the Pac, invert, all in one motion. This really goes great, don't have to handle the shell the second time.

Frank

15. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

Learn to count to five!! Now that's going too far! This game is hard enough and now I've got to count too. Ridiculous.

16. phirel

phirel TS Member

Carol Lister- It seems that both you and I separate, by color, into different boxes the two types of AA shells. Would you suppose this could be considered some type of housing discrimination ?

Pat Ireland

17. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

<blockquote>"It seems that both you and I separate, by color, into different boxes the two types of AA shells. Would you suppose this could be considered some type of housing discrimination ?"</blockquote>

Not at all, Pat. It's simply separate but equal gender-specific accommodations.

Carol Lister

18. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

If they ever come up with one of these, I WANT ONE. I tried to get MEC to do this but as you can see, there still is not one.

Charlie

19. brownk80

brownk80 Member

Use either your wife or girlfriend to box them. If they really get along well let one of them reload and the other box them. I also let them switch from time to time so they don't get bored.

Brownk80

20. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

i use 3 EZ paks when I load and I alternate my hulls into the 366. STS, RGC, STS, RGC, and stack them in there own little house. The third is for bad crimps. Finished boxes are marked accordingly to what is in them. Since I don`t change bushings and use all the same components, all my shells are the same.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.