1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shell Box collectors?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by halfmile, Jan 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I'm going to say late 60's approximate. I have a box of Monark field shells with the picture of the hunter and dog, and a roll crimp. If I remember right I bought them in 1966, the price on the box is 2.35.

Plastic shells came in around that time, and the paper field shells remington had before that were called Cleanbore ore some such. they had a paper disc with shot info printed on it on the end of the shell over the star crimp.

2. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

I believe Fed started using that box in the late 50's and continued using it well into the 60's. The Peters looks like mid to late 60's vintage.

3. KS user

KS user TS Member

John, I just had thread on here last week about those same federal shells.Any help would be appriciated.

4. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

As others have stated, the Feds were through the 60's and the Rems I believe went into the early 70's.

John, how many full boxes of the Feds did he have?

5. whiz-bang

whiz-bang Active Member

All ammo that has the child warning on the box is post 1962. John since your boxes all have the child warning it's safe to assume they were made after 62. halfmile dates are in the ball park.

I don't collect shot shell ammo but I do collect vintage 22 ammo and 22 related items. I have about 175 bricks and a bunch of shooting gallery ammo. What I have found as well as most ammo collectors is when you have a damaged box like your Peters wrap it in clear shrink wrap plastic and hit it with the hair dryer. That will help shore up your box. Most collectors do that with all there ammo.

Your ammo is collectible and is worth more than modern ammo. So why shoot it also it displays nice.

6. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

John, I will trade you three boxes of new premium ammo (your choice) for the two full boxes of Federals if your interested.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.