1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

?? Shelf life of gunpowder

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bb-84, Mar 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bb-84

bb-84 Member

I have some 700x that I have had for 10+ years. It has been stored in cool dry basement in a closet. Was wondering how long gunpowder can be stored and still be useful. Thanks Barry

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

If it doesn't smell of acetone, it's fine. Last summer I shot up all my 20-year-old half-cans of powder I bought when I thought there was a difference. Beyond noticing that Royal Scot was really smoky and - looking at the proces on the cans - we used to get powder for amazingly low prices, it all worked just like the newest and greatest available today. Stir it a little to break up any lumps that may have formed and start reloading it.

Neil

3. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

Actually the acetone smell is normal. When powder breaks down, you get a strong acrid smell, not an acetone smell. Powder stored as you described is good for 50+ years.

4. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

You are right, Bob. A very mild acetone smell is normal.

Neil

5. gasman03

gasman03 Member

I would advise loading a few and go out and shoot them to make sure they go "BANG" Just in case they don't go off you won't have a bunch reloaded.

Corey

6. bb-84

bb-84 Member

I no longer reload. So my next question is can you ship gunpowder and what are the requirement to ship these items and who will ship? I probably have roughly 10 lbs of 700 x and 1500 Fiochi primers. Not counting the rifle pistol stuff too. Thanks again Barry. I am located in W. Ky if their is any interest.

7. thedemoguy

thedemoguy TS Member

load it, shoot it, have fun...
    I just started loading some 700x that I don't know how old it is the can is all rusty this crap is OLD...lol
    But it went bang hell it went bang 25 strait then 2 24 strait then a 23 and that's when I started to question it's effectiveness,,, it had to be that crappy old power...lol

Bill

8. chc

chc TS Member

I've been using some Red Dot that was purchased in 1982 and it works fine. Also just shot a box of blue Magic shells from around the same time period.

9. new loader

new loader Member

To bb-84:I am interested in the powder & primers. E-mail me with price & location. Will discuss shipping or pickup. Thank you.

10. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Last year I acquired two kegs of 4831 circa WW2. One opened and the other sealed. Powder in both smelled OK and has shot OK so says the person I sold it to. 3 or 4 years ago I purchased an unopened keg of Red Dot from the late 50's early 60's and all used thus far has performed just fine.

11. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

I've never heard of properly stored powder going bad. Should last forever.

12. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

I am shooting some OLD Green Dot that is in a fiber 15Lb. "drum", other than leaving the barrel dirty, it seems to be fine! No idea how old, but OLD!

13. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Alliant has some Red-Dot over a 100 years old and tests it once in a while. Works fine. Will last longer than most trapshooters, when stored properly. Hap

14. gasman03

gasman03 Member

Let me know if you still have the stuff for sale please.

Corey

15. dkdevries

dkdevries TS Member

I remember hearing a story about DuPont storing some smokeless powder in water since early in the 20th century and taking some out every year, drying it out, loading it and shooting it with no significant change in performance.

Has somebody who can provide better details heard the story?

Doug DeVries

16. Scott Thompson

Scott Thompson TS Member

John Malcolm,

Your UPS guy is not terribly well informed. Gun powder is a flammable and is handled as Accessible Dangerous Goods having very specific handling rules.

The rules on the actual delivery truck aren't so much but these packages pass through hubs with thousands of other packages, and depending on who they are shipped with, could even fly part of the way.

Furthermore, the penalties for undeclared DG are up to 5 years and $250,000.

Finally, as someone who works around packages all day, please consider my safety when you are shipping dangerous goods. Your package in and of it self may not cause a problem but if it should be ripped open and leak (accidents happen) then there could be real problems.

Those stickers are put on the box for a reason. Please don't risk my life to save yourself $20.

Respectfully,

Scott T.

17. Scott Thompson

Scott Thompson TS Member

By the way, I am not a UPS employee. I work for one of the other guys.

18. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Old Red Dot Manuel's had a photo of a glass jar in which was stored in water their gun powder. From time to time they would remove a sample and test it.Don't remember how old it was except that it was old. Anyone else remember this ad?

19. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Dave, I remember that ad. I copied this from Alliants web-site concerning the age of Red-Dot. It isn't the old jar of powder under water I was looking for though. Hap

"Our History
    Alliant's origins as a gunpowder manufacturer can be traced back more than 125 years to the DuPont Company, whose leadership position in the explosives industry is legendary. DuPont's divestiture in 1912 created the Hercules Power Company as an independent entity, and eventually resulted in Alliant becoming America's premier gunpowder manufacturer.

The long, proud history of Alliant Powder began in 1872 as Laflin & Rand, later to become Hercules Powder Company — the most respected name in the reloading industry.

Our Canisters
    We haven't changed them in 100 years...except to make them better."

20. bb-84

bb-84 Member

Thanks for all the great info. If anyone in the western Ky. area is interested in Roughly 7 lbs. 700X and 1200 fiocchi primers and 100 rem primers. Also have some small rifle/pistol powder and primers. Email me at walleye481@yahoo.com Thanks Barry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

shelf life of gunpowder