1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SHARON KINGEN

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by indycamster, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. indycamster

indycamster Member

I received word this morning that Sharon Kingen passed away earlier today.
    Indiana shooters are well aware of The Kingen's legacy in Trap shooting. Her father founded KINGEN'S GUN Club and hosted 4 or 5 Indiana State Shoots, the last in 1970. As a teenager I remember my father winning a Color TV at one of the many shoots at Kingens.
    Trap Shooting has lost one of it's best. Details on services as they become available.
    Ryan Clark will post the 2009 Trap and Field article that documented the Kingen's Story, on ITA website later today. (www.Indianatrap.com)
    Clarence Mason
    Carmel, Indiana.

2. JT 27

JT 27 Member

I shot my first live pigeons & broke my first 100 at Kingen's 40 yr.s ago. You could shut your eyes and listen to Sharon and you would think Dennis was still alive. I sat on the porch some years ago when Sharon was being pretty demanding of her father to get inside due to the heat. Dennis broke up everybody when he said "I don't know where she gets that attitude". Sharon kept the legacy of "The club built for trapshooters" alive irregardless of her poor health. I suppose this is the end of an era. This family truly loved the game of Trapshooting. I had e-mailed condolences and special thoughts to Sharon after Dennis and later Pidge passed away. I received personal messages and replies after both. A great family and a great lose to trapshooting.

3. DON1911

DON1911 Member

Very sad news, what a great family for the trapshooters.The Indiana stae shoot was held there many times in the 60's.It was rotated between Indiana gun club and Kingen gun club several years.
    Sharon was in college most of the years I shot as a junior and she didn't shoot often but what a great person!
    Dennis had one of the very first "CAR SHOOTS",winner got a new 1964 Ford Mustang,donated by Foxworthy Ford,another trap shooting name, Roy Foxworthy.Don Mason

4. Jason B

Jason B Member

Very sorry to hear of Sharon's passing. Words cannot describe the roll she played in Indiana trapshooting history, past, present & future.

Here is the link to the Trap & Field article about Kingen Gun Club's 50th Anniversary.
    http://indianatrap.com/Tales%20of%20Trapshooting/50%20years%20of%20Kingen.jpg

5. Jason B

Jason B Member

Page 2 link for that article.

6. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Member

Sharon Ann Kingen, 68 years old, passed early this morning. Her family allowed me to be with them and with Sharon when she passed.

Shortly after the nurses confirmed death, I looked at the clock at 4: 01 am.

Since Thanksgiving especially, I had noticed a steady worsening of her breathing problems.

She called me from her house early Monday morning December 31st and said she needed help. With the help of another cousin, we convinced her to go to the hospital emergency room in Greenfield. From there it was a spiral down. First one thing and another kept going wrong with her body. On Friday January 4th, plans were for her to be transferred to a more specialized facility in Indianapolis sometime Monday, January 7th.

Saturday evening, January 5th her breathing was getting worse, Sharon’s already weaken kidneys were shutting down and she was filling up with fluids and making her breathing even harder. The hospital was already forcing pressurized oxygen into her with a very uncomfortable breathing mask.

After a meeting with a doctor Sunday evening, She refused to be poked and prodded with any more needles and IV. Another meeting Monday morning with a admittance nurse from the other hospital she said “she was tired and wanted to go home“, but she wasn’t talking about the Gun Club home, Sharon made it very clear she wanted to go HOME with Mom and Dad.

She refused all other treatments and medicine except for her nasal oxygen. Sharon passed about 18 hours later.

Sharon was the closest thing I ever had, or ever will have, to a “Big Sister”. I am devastated. My mind is just not letting me cope well with this tremendous loss and it has taken me over 2 hours to write and post these few paragraphs.

As per Sharon’s wishes, The Club WILL BE OPEN regular hours Wednesday, January 9th and barring unforeseen circumstances, will be open Saturday January 12th as well.

The Kingen Legacy lives on!

I will post funeral arrangements as soon as I know for sure.

Mark Burgess……..The Dark Horse……

7. hoosier

hoosier TS Member

My condolences and prayers to Sharon's family. Roland King

8. Ross Randall

Ross Randall Member

My condolences to the family. I got to meet Sharon this last fall. I shot trap in the 90's and I think they were closed at the time. I quit in 97 due to some health issues and so forth. I decided this last Aug. to start again and one place I wanted to go was at Kingens. I called her a few times and found out about the club and when they had their shoots. I finally made it down there for their last shoot of the year. I had a chance to chat with her for several minutes. Really enjoyed myself and even shot a good handicap score while I was there. Again, condolences for the family. I could tell she is a first class lady.

9. trap-guy

trap-guy Member

Top off the trap machine, I will be there Wed.
    Shooting some trap in Memory of Sharon.

10. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

Our deepest sympathy to the relatives and the Kingen trapshooting "Family".

She will be deeply missed, but not forgotten.

Danny Bennett
    Rush County Conservation Club

11. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Member

You, trap-guy, and several others I hope.....

Mark

12. rtclark21

rtclark21 Member

Here is the link for Sharon's obituary. Visitation is this Thursday (10-Jan) from 4 to 7pm at Erlewein Mortuary in Greenfield.

13. crusha

crusha TS Member

Sad to hear this...Sharon was a great lady.

14. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Member

Visitation will be on from 4 until 7 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 10, 2013, at Erlewein Mortuary in Greenfield with an OES service at 7 p.m.

Funeral services will take place on Friday, Jan. 11, 2013, at 11 a.m. at Mt. Comfort United Methodist Church. Burial will take place at Washington Park East.

15. mkstephen

mkstephen Active Member

Just heard of Sharon's passing. As Jason said "Words cannot describe the roll she played in Indiana trapshooting history, past, present & future." I have shot on the same squad with Dennis Kingen many times and have known Sharon for 34 years.

Our sympathy goes to the relatives of Sharon, Lowell Thomas, Susie Thomas, and all of the Kingen Gun Club.

Rest in peace, you have gone home now.

The Alexandria Conservation and Gun Club, Inc.

Michael Stephenson

16. Brad Dysinger

Brad Dysinger Member

I bought a live bird ring off of Sharon about 15 years ago, I shot Dennis's live bird shoot many times before he died. Best wishes from Ann and me. Brad

17. trap-guy

trap-guy Member

Just return from shooting a few rounds @ Kingen GC.
    Sharon, I'm sure you saw the one that got away from me on post #5.
    Made it to post 5, got 4 hard right and missed one.
    I'll clean em all up for you next time.

18. Gun Run

Gun Run Member

i like many others are saddened to learn of the passing of Sharon Kingen. I remember shooting there during the time the Indiana State shoot passed between Indiana Gun Club, Kingen Gun club as well as Evenasville Gun Club, what fun we had. I remember another time at Deer Creek conversation club when my wife Mary, & Dink tied for High Handicap. She being short yardage, shot off on 1 trap, while Dink shot off from 27 years . Mary missed 1 in the 2nd round & Dink ran them all!
    Sharon, you will be missed. rest in peace. Wayne Downham / Camden, IN

19. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

I counted Sharon as a friend and shot my first registered targets at Kingens. They made me feel right at home and welcomed me to a new family. Over the years I have spent much time talking and teasing Sharon, last time being at the state shoot meeting. She leaned over and said "you never give up do you?" I smile at her. Didn't know it would be the last one.

We should start a thread of Kingen stories about the family, oh man they would go on and on. Dink was a hoot, I shot with him at Wallace several times and learned from him.

Condolences to the family and friends.

20. t-bar

t-bar Member

Sharon was a friend and I will miss her. The Kingen family was a large part of Indiana trapshooting, they won't be forgotten.

Barbara Rocheford

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

sharon kingen obituary