1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

shark gill ports

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by JLW, Jul 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JLW

JLW TS Member

I have shark gill like porting on my bb'l and several people say they have been hit by something when I shoot. One person had their cap visor threads torn.

The porting is large, covers atleast 60* on each side of the bb'l. Is it possible they are being hit by shot?

Is there a way to cover the ports or fill them?-Jerald

2. Duck

Duck Member

Jerald,

It's not shot, could be plastic buildup from the wad or carbon/powder residue from the shell or a combination of both. The shot would still be encased in the wad until it exited the muzzle. As for thread's on a visor being torn after being struck, I'd have to question that it was already that way and was'nt noticed until the incident.

Regard's Don;

3. alpine

alpine TS Member

If the ports are that large, I would suspect that they may be being hit by plastic. Porting should be much smaller, your only letting gas out.

I would suspect that there is no way to reverse the large porting. You may be springing for a new barrel.

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I've been hit by a piece of carbon from a shotgun port. Was fairly small, but I was glad I had safety glasses on. It stuck to my face, so I was able to see its size. It would fit inside a lower case "o" on this page.

5. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Guess you could pick up a supply of white canes and pass them out to your "potential" squadmates.

6. jnoemanh

jnoemanh TS Member

I've heard people claim that those slotted ports can shear off a bit of lead and spit it out, but with modern wads, I don't see how that can happen. They could, I think, easily spit out a bit of hot, maybe molten, plastic, and that would be damned unpleasant to the shooter on the next station.

Maybe it's just me, but I wish folks wouldn't shoot ported guns. They're loud, and I don't believe they do anything meaningful for recoil.

7. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Put a piece of black electrician tape over them. It will also amaze you that it isn't blown off the first shot. Jeff

8. JLW

JLW TS Member

Pat-I am not familiar with that porting but I can show you the bb'l at Durand Sunday.

I will try the electricians tape and, see what Briley can offer. It may be cheaper to buy a used bb'l.

I was thinking about some type of clamp on hood to cover the ports.-Jerald

9. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

If ever barrels can be deported, Please let me know! My XT is ported, I get the geeeessss that thing is loud! One shooter has a spartan thats ported and that thing is always spitting plastic. I have not had that complaint with my XT. I really liked this gun when buying also got a good price. The porting was NOT a selling point for me. Thats just how they are coming. Hey Make porting a option again.

10. 333t

333t Member

You could very well be spitting out lead fragments through those ports. All it takes is one folded petal on the wad and there will be shot outside the wad cup. This is a common occurance in both reloads and factory ammo. The lead pellets outside the wad cup passing over the large porting slots will very likely be sheared to some degree. If you have squad members complaining about the barrel I would recomend that you stop using it immediately. Its just not worth the risk of injury to your fellow shooters, not to mention the personal liability you would incur should an injury result.

Phil

11. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    jnoemanh, quote: "I've heard people claim that those slotted ports can shear off a bit of lead and spit it out, but with modern wads, I don't see how that can happen."<br>
    <br>
    Don't forget that some people are still shooting paper shells.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

sharks slotted gills