1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SHARK FISHING??

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by blkcloud, Aug 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

Will be heading back to Gulf Shores shortly shark fishing again, this summer I had 10 hookups between 4-6 feet long, I was using brand new 80 pound power pro line, the sharks skin shredded my line, finally I went to the bait shop and bought a shark rig.. 9' long stainless steel cable with a 10/0 hook.. only had one shark hit after buying the new rig.. and I didnt get the hook set on him.. I used it for 3 days, when we were leaving the beach a guy told me the sharks could sense the cable and wouldnt hit it.. I about half way beleive him.. any suggestions,ideas? thanks!

2. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I think you just found out the truth yourself. Yes the sharks can see and sense the wire. But you do still need about 12-24 inches of the stuff (#5-#9) at the hook, tie the single strand wire with a albright knot to over 8 feet of 60-150 mono or a doubled up bimini twist of simular strengh and tie that to your main line. If you find some spinner sharks around you will have to increase your leader length. Ballons are sometimes used to get the bait away from the boat for the big boys who are shy of the boat and use other poles for close up work. If you really want to have some fun with these toothy critters lighten up on that tackle of yours say around 20-40 and you should be fine. The clearer the water your fishing in, will dictate the lighter the line you will need to be to get the bites. As in all fishing I will keep as light as possible to get the bites, even if I loose some, I will still know how deep and what they are biting while the other guys are still trying to get their first hookup, and may pass over a good area to work. Hope this helps you out. Break-em all. Jeff

3. twotimer

twotimer Member

blkcloud, bring your shotgun & come over to Port St Joe and shoot some trap with us while you are here. PM me if you want & I'll give you guidance. Mike

4. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Just buy some oil colored leader and they won't be able to see it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.