1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Share your RELOADING TIPS

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JACK, Jul 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

For lack of more entertaining activity yesterday, I reloaded some STS on my PW. But found that the effort was noticeably easier as I elevated my self about 1" using 2 carpet samples. The arm effort was lessened, the leverage was greater, and my feet more comfortable...

How about adding something about your reloading that might be useful to your shooting bretheren. Just something simple or involved, but soemething that others may not have thought of and just may be able to incorporate into their reloading process.

Anything, effort in my case, or a product that helps, or anything else you can think of.

Jack

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

Jack- I have found that removing the arm on my PW makes reloading much easier. I am less likely to get hit by the arm when I push down the pedal that activates my hydraulic unit.

Pat Ireland

3. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

Thanks Pat....
    You almost owe me a keyboard..!!
    My best tip for anyone who loads on a Grabber...(without hydraulic assist..Pat)is to get yourself one of their "wooden handle extender"...or whatever it's called. I've used mine since the early 80's and it's been the best thing I ever did to make loading large quantities of 12 ga. loads an easier task without going to some kind of power unit. On that note...one of my buddies loads on a hydraulic MEC and to be honest...it runs too slow for my taste. Don't know if that's just his unit...I've never seen anyone else's.

4. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

Mount your loader on a cookie sheet to keep shot off of the floor.

5. warren

warren Member

Ground your loader it helps eliminate static and makes the powder flow better.

warren

6. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Actually Pat. I am of the opinin that inexpensve haydraulic and electro/mechanical devices can be developed fo rus reloaders. As after market items.

7. chipking

chipking TS Member

I use gravity fed dog feeders from petsmart. The large on the left for my Spolar holds just over 500 empties and the medium on the right will hold over 600 wads. Just remember to remove the white ring in the top for better smoother feeds.

--- Chip King ---

8. crk

crk Member

Get a low cost wet/dry vac and mount it near the loader for ease of use. Get the model for wet that has both the sponge AND the white sleeve that goes over the sponge to keep it out of the venturi. As these are cheap units, the impeller is plastic, not metal.

Also - bright lighting around the loader makes for ease is seeing what is happening.

Now will someone please invent a shotshell loader where I can load shot/wads/primers/powder and hulls, flip a switch, and come back in 20 minutes and have 1000 beautiful shells? Oh, and make it affordable, too. :)

9. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Reloading is actually one of my specialtys ... I go into the garage where the shells are stacked up neatly and take one or two flats off of the top of one of the stacks, a few stacks being 3 dram 8's and a few being 3 dram 7 1/2s and a few flats of 2 3/4 -9's for playing sitting next to them on the wooden grates ... I then put them in the truck (thats the reloading part) and head for the club ... I open the gun and let them fly so I don't have empty shells laying all over the place which makes me and my wife happy ... When the truck is empty I reload it and do it all over again ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Keep a reloader in your bedroom That way when you wake up in the middle of the night, you can reload a few shells after you get back from the bathroom. HMB

11. ryanhammer

ryanhammer TS Member

I use a ribbed rubber back-seat floormat under my MEC jr. It does a pretty good job of catching loose powder flakes and shot. Plus, it's low profile, so it doesn't get in the way. Second, and might I say, my greatest innovation, is the handle. I found the red plastic bicycle grip to be somewhat slick. I tried flipping it over so that the finger groves were pointing up. That just made loading uncomfortable after a few boxes. So, I went to my local TSC and bought a piece of 1/2" round steel stock, cut it about six inches long, and welded it to the top of the loder handle, overlapping of course, for strength. Now I have an automotive shifter handle for a manual transmission mounted on the steel shaft. It fits my hand really well, and is much more comfortable over long periods of reloading. The best part may be that, because of the extended length, I don't have to pull down so hard, which seems to not shake the press around so much, giving better powder metering. I will try to post pics later. p.s., I have also done this on my pistol press, and it is wonderful too. Ryan

12. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

My tip is to stop listening to all these people talking about "grounding" their reloaders. Humidify the air and you won't have static problems!

It's funny you never hear of anyone complaining about static problems when the weather is warm and humid. I wonder if their is anything to that?!?!?!

ss

13. rustygun

rustygun Member

I think it's easier to ground my loader than to humidify my garage.

Rusty

14. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Pat...DUH!!....good thing I didn't have a mouthfull of coffee when I read your post!

15. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Best tip for MEC reloaders. Get rid of that useless, messy anti-sieze grease and use Super-Lube grease. Clean, non-staining and goes 3 times longer between collet lubes.

Mark

p.s. I agree with short shucker...you boys in California may have static problems but down here in the South we have to wipe the dew off before were reload.

16. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

How would you explain the static at my place.. Southwest Florida ??

Just open up the bottle of powder a few minutes prior to dumping in the reloader and let it soak up a little moisture. Problem solved!

I've also quit storing my hulls in plastic containers and now just use cloth hampers and cardboard boxes. This was also another place where static was being concentrated.

ss

17. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

My tip... don't store powder in anything but the container it came in.

MK

18. deadpair51

deadpair51 Member

I load different shot size in my 12ga hulls, to tell on from the other I mark the primers (while still in the tray) Black 7 1/2 Red 8 Green 9 . I use sharpies markers.

19. phirel

phirel TS Member

Should I ground my loader first and then figure out how to get the static potential to flow through the non conductive plastic hopper?

Jerry B.- How many grains of dryer sheets do you load in each shell? If I were to slip a couple of dryer sheets in my wife's purse, would I get less static?

Pat Ireland

20. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

Don't worry about labeling my boxes, each type of hull is a different load, rebox the hulls in their original box
    STS= 1 1/8 oz # 7.5 DRRF-8,
    GC= 1 oz #8.5 & DR jammer XL,
    AA= 1 oz #8 & DRA-12,
    Rem. Black= 1oz. #8 & DR-XL-1,
    The Gun Clubs, AA's and Black Rem. all use the same amount and type of powder so the MEC 9000 does not have to be changed, my other 9000 does the STS's

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.