1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Share your physical fitness story

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by joe kuhn, Jun 21, 2013.

1. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

In this thread I'm going to try something new. I'm going to tell my story in pictures with captions. Feel free to tell your own story however you care to.

Thanks,
    Joe

Here I am at the gym. Some days I don't feel like going, but go anyway. I scale the workouts heavily and I get my reps in:

[​IMG]

The Kuhns doing a warm up exercise. There are girls at the gym that are way stronger than me. And my daughter could kick your ass:

[​IMG]

Tried all last year to break 100 straight with steel shot. Did it second time out this spring after working out from mid winter on:

[​IMG]

A fellow shooter and myself. He's half my age at 26. I'm 59:

[​IMG]

Shot a 24 at 21 yards to win this fine Colt Peacemaker replica:

[​IMG]

Broke 380/400 over eight weeks in our club's spring singles league:

[​IMG]

Didn't think physical fitness was that important, but it is, for me anyway. What's your story?

2. joe kuhn

That's one heck of a story Jim. Congrats to you. How is your shooting these days? I bet you didn't shoot much 5 years ago.

I wanted to add that 3-4 years ago I went to Dennis Devault's for a gun fitting just before spring shooting began. I ran out of steam when it came time to testing at the range. It was embarassing and not a wise choice before a fitting.

3. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

I bought one of those aerobic exercise pads.

Every time that I feel like exercising ... I lay down on that pad and take a nap until that feeling goes away!

4. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Joe:
    You should be congratulated, keep up the good work. With that being said, here is my daily regiment and some history. In 1967, I purchased a pair of Pro kid tennis shoes. They were the most expensive that I could find at the time as they were $11.00.

My father thought I was insane spending that much on tennis shoes, but they lasted. Last year the shoes still looked like new, had plenty of tread on the bottom. One day, my wife said that I should get a new pair of shoes.

I go to the nearest Foot Locker and a guy in a basketball officials uniform and a whistle greets me and ask, How can I help you? I told him I need a new pair of tennis shoes. He says what type of running do you do? Do you run on asphalt, cement, cinder,?

I told him I'm looking for a shoe that would be good from carpet from the couch to linoleum to the refrigerator.

I purchased a pair that cost me $90.00 + tax and wear them watching television. I have a few tv trays set up by the couch filled with Chettoes, chips, and pretzels.
    My other tray has soda, beer, and wine.

I wear these same tennis shoes to get the afternoon mail, as well as going grocery shopping.
    Your doing better than myself.
    Good luck,
    Steve Balistreri
    Wauwatosa Wisconsin

5. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Go to a personal trainer twice a week, water jogging once a week, balance walking twice a week--blood pressure is 112/74,cholesterol 185--Just had micro lipo on tough areas--shoot @ least 400 targets a week--when its not too hot in Fl.

Eat healthy except for portion size and at least 1 ltr of Glenfidich a week

Phil Berkowitz

6. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Jog to the bathroom first thing in the morning, cool down walk to get my coffee, sit and exercise my thumb on the remote and my eyes watching the news ... Jog back to the bathroom, shower after the work out so far and then breakfast to recharge the old body ... Lost 50 pounds by just cutting back on quanity of food, my Cardiologist thought it would be a good idea after open heart surgery ... Take the dog for a walk on the golf course so he can play in the watcer and water the fairway a little bit ... Back home get the bike, take the dog for his jog so he can sleep better until its time for supper ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

7. APrice

APrice Active Member

I do a 20-30 minute regimen of calisthenics every morning and 30 minutes on an elliptical every afternoon. I eat whatever I want, but in moderation. The "moderation" thing was the hardest to get accomplished. Started this about 10 years ago after the physician told me I had hypertension, diabetes & hyperlipidemia. After a few months and about 50 pounds, all my numbers returned to normal.

It was really tough to change my eating habits, but far from impossible. I really cannot understand why fat people refuse to admit their problem is gluttony. This talk about a "disease" is just another cop out. At least be willing to say, "Yeah, I eat too much and I need to change."

8. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Exactly Aprice. Everything is super size, all-you-can-eat, etc. If all you do is watch a little bit of WHAT you eat (No white flour, processed sugars added in foods and drinks, starches), and HOW MUCH, most people that are over weight will lose pounds. The times that you hit the plateaus is when you need to go for walks, or do cardio exercise to get it started again, or lose the weight faster. Lost 27 pounds in two months, with no exercise involved. Now that the weight is dropping, it gives you more incentive to now exercise, because you are seeing results that you now want to speed up the process. Also, it makes exercise easier, then just starting from the beginning, making the whole process together discouraging.

My whole process started one Friday evening when out for a fish fry. Drinking a V.O. and coke, I thought to myself, this tastes way to sweet for me. Then I had it dumped, and drank it with seltzer with a twist. Ordered my fish baked, with steamed vegetables, and have not looked back. Smaller portions, meats with sauteed vegetables in olive oil, taco, and different meat in salads, hamburgers and brats without the buns, no chips (Potatoes, Corn), rice or pasta, etc.

Once you get into the regiment the food actually tastes better, and it is becomes second nature to order, and eat healthier, without having to think about it.

Oh yea, for dessert I eat a couple of mini size Hershey's dark chocolate bars, or chunks.

Relating this to trap like Joe has done, I find that just going for a walk before I shoot, seems to help make me relax, and concentrate better. Seems to oxygenate the blood, and increase circulation for the brains benefit.

9. SBray

SBray Active Member

Great job Joe!

I retired in 2004 and was in poor health. I weighed 213 pounds, at 6 feet tall, of course, that weight could sort of be hidden. But a trip to the doctor's office told the real story. My cholesterol and blood pressure was above normal. I ate poorly and did not exercise. I was headed for serious health problems.

I decided to start exercising and eating properly. I rode my stationary bike or used the tread mill just 20 minutes per day, and did some strength training (pushups and setups, etc.). I ate only three meals a day, and did not snack in between meals. When I got to the table, I gave myself reasonable portions of food, and did not go back for seconds. I avoided desserts, candy, and breads. Sure I would occasionally cheat and have some of those items, but as a general rule, they weren't part of my regular intake. Oh yes, sodas, and other carbonated drinks are gone from our frig. Once in awhile I will have a beer, or small glass of wine during the holidays.

Now I weigh 175, and my cholesterol and blood pressure is down in the healthy range. My body mass index (to fat)is very good.

So, it really only takes some discipline and I feel 100% better.

At first it was a constant struggle of my will power to overcome the temptations of dropping the ball and going back to my old ways. Eventually, I succeeded in making a lifestyle change.

Of course at 63, I have faced the reality that no one gets out of this world alive, at least I am going to hopefully enjoy the rest of my years feeling much better than I did before.

Steve

10. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms TS Supporters TS Supporters

You started this last night, Joe. Here's a brief overview of my situation.

We have long been involved in healthy living and take no drugs. We're licensed pharmacists who do NOT sell commercial drug products. We are open ONLY Monday through Friday, 9 am to 5 pm. No nights, weekends, or holidays. A whole person needs a balanced life of work, rest, and play. I play with shotguns. Our motto has long been, "Too many people take too many drugs".

Eating? We follow a mostly paleo diet - not actually a DIET per se, but a living style. That means no grains, no sugars, no artificial sweeteners, no potatoes, no dairy, fruit but no packaged fruit juices or soda pop. We eat vegetables, grass fed beef, game meats, free range chicken, eggs, fish from Alaska (as fresh as it can be legally), and water (filtered to remove fluoride).

Workout? Three days a week at an athletic center; speed walking, leg exercises, and upper body strength work. The leg work has paid off. Up until I started this living style I could no longer do squats. Today I can handle three sets of 12 with no difficulty. I shoulder my shotgun 50 to 100 times a day - either at home or at a range - more strength conditioning.

This all began late last year. My 30 something son follows the lifestyle and also does crossfit. He has dropped over 70 pounds. There are numerous health benefits to eating and living well. I dropped 30 pounds (waist from 44 to 39 and still shrinking). My wife went from a size 10/12 to a 4/5.

Has it had any impact on my shooting? In the past I had a difficult time obtaining any consistency in shooting. My scores were all over the place. I had one 25 and my average was in the 65% range. Scores are better and there are numerous straights - no 50 yet, but a bunch of 49s. MENTAL! My score last night was 92. It is coming together and I think the health and strength parts are important. I also bought a nice Beretta 682 Gold E that seems to fit well. I've had some coaching and made a few adjustments that got my eyes off the gun.

I'll be 67 this fall and cannot recall feeling better - ever. Sleep is great. I am intrigued by the regimentation of a crossfit program, but haven't located one that fits our daily schedule.

11. joe kuhn

Great comments on food. Wow.

The paleo thing: eat like a cave man (meat, vegetables, some fruit).

The Cross fit thing: Work out like a farmer.

You guys have made positive changes for yourselves. Good group to hang with.

12. mallard2

mallard2 Active Member

Bought a dog. She walks me twice a day. Lost 25 pounds so far. Also quit eating sugar or products.

13. Sprinklerman

Sprinklerman Member

If my body is ever found dead on a jogging trail, rest assured I was killed elsewhere and drag there.

14. reddbudd

reddbudd Well-Known Member

I used to work up a good sweat on a stationary bike. I could the speedometer at 20 to 25 mph for 30 to 45 minutes. The only trouble was I was so rubbery legged it was all I could do to stagger to the fridge and grab a couple of beers and flop down on the couch.

Bud

15. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I try to lift three 16 oz. drafts or four 12 ozrs. right hand only each night. Blood pressure 112/78, weight 162 for around 40 years. Typing likely increases finger strength somewhat. At age 65 I'm as healthy as any 85 yo!!

16. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

jerbear

17. 8 Straight

8 Straight Active Member

I bought a membership to the local YMCA to try and lose weight. It didn't work. Apparently you actually have to go there.

18. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

At our age (50+) the key is to find something you don't hate, that you will actually do on a regular basis.

Pick out a time, and force yourself to go.

If you really, really start coming up with excuses not to go, maybe it's somethign else. For me, it was a thyroid problem. Solved that, and now my brain doesn't talk me out of it (as often...)

Oh, and I had back surgery in 1991 (in Bangkok, of all places) and I HAVE to do regular stomach muscle exercises. To look at me you wouldn't see it, but I have six-pack abs hiding under a little flab.

19. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

My best year shooting, average wise, I was working out regularly. that should tell me something but right now I'm not listening. Bill