1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

## Share a Pat Ireland Story ##

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by FlaLagarto, Dec 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FlaLagarto

FlaLagarto Well-Known Member

Reading the other thread .. I thought it might be nice to start another, just to share stories of Pat Ireland. So many of us who had contact with him ..

I had purchased an older home and was doing some remodel work before moving in .. I had ask a couple of questions on TS.com about cutting and replacing woodwork. Pat was very quick to email me and offer the much needed help and information that I was asking about. He later called me and ask how the job was going and gave me even more help and we traded stories of wood working projects we shared interest in.

I knew of Pat's love of Winchester hulls.. and that he used them for his reloads. So I decided that to thank him I would take him some once fired hulls and give them to him on his next visit to the Silver Dollar.. Little did I know that Pat had brought me a present as well.. When I met him to give him the hulls he gave me a miter saw.. explaining that it would serve me well for many years to come with my projects.

A very special friend. . I will miss him..

Jerry B.

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Nice story jerry. He saw the Carnitas recipe on TS.com ( which was not mine originally) and wanted me to make him some as he claimed he did not cook. I was looking forward to a time when we could meet somewhere and share it with him. I told him my brother lived in Knoxville and he said he would gladly drive over there to meet me and taste the Carnitas. I knew it may never happen but I was planning on going there next year and making the offer to him

3. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I don't have a story like yours Jerry, but in reading Pat's posts I'm sure there are many stories of his kindness toward others. There will always be a deep hole in the posts on TS.com without him here to fill them with advice or his witty humor..RIP Pat.

Bill

4. JRW

JRW Member

When I met Pat at Vandailia we had gun lockers next to each other. On about the 3rd day he had walk out of the locker room and left his locker wide open. There were 3 K guns and other misc shooting things there, after locking it up and then telling him about it we laughed about getting old and memory slipping. The next few years we were able to joke about it. He was a friend. Jerry in MI.

5. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

Just this last Saturday there was a thread about Browning Cynergy's.

I hijacked the thread into a discussion about classic styled guns. Pat quipped that he also like classic styled guns and that was why he had painted the stock and forened of his gun Red.

I replied that "since he was obviously Irish, I would have expected Green".

I never got an answer.

I'm sorry to hear of his passing he was a level headed force on this site and I'm sure anywhere else he was present.

Randy

6. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

Here is a PM from Pat to me. I PM'd him to comment on a thread about staying in the gun, lifting your head, or some such. I told him I bet I was lifting my head enough to miss a few birds per hundred, and then I just miss a few more. This was his reply, from September 2008. Notice the last line he typed before his signature.

Danny

"Danny- Absolutely, staying in your gun is most important. Seeing the bird clearly while staying in your gun is the next most important thing.

I had a long talk with Leo Harrison at the Southern Grand last March. He has the same problems that we have but they do not happen as frequently to him as they do to us. Most of our three hour conversation involved why we lift our heads. Leo told me that he thought, but he was not absolutely certain, that he lifts his head now and then because he does not see the bird clearly.

Phil Kiner has the vision thing down so fine that he concentrates on seeing the front edge of the bird. I am a long way from that point.

But, a real problem arises if we think about seeing the bird too much. We can see the bird much clearer with our head up. I am striving to use Frank Littles advice of many years ago. Look through the front sight and see the bird.

And, always remember the most important part of shooting is to have fun.

Pat Ireland"

7. steele

steele TS Member

At the Va State shoot this past summer, Pat & I were sitting on the porch BS'ing about nothing in particular. I mentioned to him that I just recieved my 25,000 target pin from the ATA. He giggled a little, then told me how many registered birds he had, and then what his average was. He laughed a little more then said, "Ya'know, I just figured out, I missed more birds than you have shot at!!" Yes, he was a man who loved the sport dearly. Butch

8. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

At the Middletown Fall Shoot in 2008, I was set up selling reloading supplies and factory shells. Pat came over to me and introduced himself. We knew each other from posting here. I am so glad that he came over to introduce himself. We talked for about 2 hours, and he even bought some supplies from me.

Matt Woodson

9. deereRalph

deereRalph Member

The first time I met Pat, he was at the computer at the SC state shoot, forgot to put me in Vet. After a bit I went up to him to talk about the ATA, at the time he was the delgate from Va. his biggest complaint at that time was that the ATA would take a call from him before an actual shooter that had a problem.
    He said they will take my call before your's because they think I am the boss. He knew that was wrong. I will seeing him.
    Grif

10. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Martin and I had a period where we weren't together due to both of us having family obligations which were starting to eat away at our friendship. Our circumstances changed, and I was able to make the commitment to move to Kansas, so we rekindled our relationship. Many people were very skeptical, but not Pat. He was so happy for us when I told him that we were engaged and on our way to a lifetime together. His faith in our intentions was strong, and he was supportive of our relationship when many were not. Very intuitive...he could immediately tell that Martin and I had something special. I will always love Pat for that and for many other things that we remember.

11. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I only met Pat once. It was at my favorite place in the world, the locker room at the Grand in Vandalia. We were introduced by John Hiter.

John and Pat were holding court on something important I'm sure. It was one of those southern boy discussions that a Yankee couldn't quite understand. One of my squadmates came to get me to go get shells at the shellhouse then go get lunch. As we walked away he asked me what those two guys were talking about and I said, "hell, I don't have a clue. I listened to them talk for 10 minutes and didn't understand a word either one of those guys said..................and that's exactly how I want to remember both of those gentlemen.

If I get to my heaven that's the way I want it to look like.

12. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I've never met Pat, but I've had several conversations via Email and one phone chat. A few years back I mentioned that I wanted to do some experiments with Bamboo and I received an Email from Pat and he explained that he had some growing on his property and if I needed any, just to let him know. About a week later, I received a large box of Bamboo and when I told Pat that I would like to pay him for his troubles or at the very least the shipping, he flat out refused and told me that there was more where that came from and to just let him know if I needed more.

He will be missed.

13. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

When I first came to TS.Com the move to Sparta was the big deal of the time. Having never been to Vandalia I did not understand all the fuss. And still don't by the way, Through all the rhetoric back and forth Pat was always respectful to both sides of the fence. It mattered not that he would present factual information to us and still be criticized. Through all this his demeanor remained what we all respect of him. I had the pleasure to meet and talk with him at the first Southern Grand at the Dollar I attended that year. I informed him that because of his positive attitude and obvious love of the sport that my wife and I had decided we had to go to Sparta and see for ourselves. We have been going to Sparta since the first one. I have seen Pat many times since that first meeting and we always had conservation, some short, some not. He was a man who truly loved this sport, its people and life in general. Yes my friends, he will be missed, but not forgotten. Jake and Sarah Jacobs

14. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

The light banter we had. I was always kidding him about his purple K-80, he always said it was red. I was always asking him to put me in D class and he always threaten to put me in AAA, I know some people in line thought we were serious.

Our original contact was not as friends. Years ago the ATA and Michigan moved the Great Lakes Grand to a week in July which happened to be the same week as the Virginia State shoot. Pat complained to the ATA and on TS.com about a Grand event going head to head with a state shoot as opposed to ATA regs. (He was right by the way) We debated the merits on here. It became the first of many conversations both serious and light hearted and the start of a friedship that has last since.

I once asked Pat if he was a moderator on this site and he gave me that smile of his and a "who me". But he later confessed.

I never heard of anyone having a bad experience with Pat.

At the Dixie we will have a strawberry for you Pat.

Don

15. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I made it a point to meet Pat at the Southern Grand a few years ago. We finally did connect and he later introduced me to BIGDON. We discussed a few matters on the way to the pond with Tammy and Tommy on a turtle hunt. He was obviously impressed with my turtle catching skills as I dove through the sticker bushes and made a great catch. Of course, I let him know that some of us Yankees are quite skilled at catching critters and this one ain't no city slicker.

I hope he still cherishes that new AA empty box I handed him. Quite an intelligent guy he was and I'm sure we'll continue our discussion about the merit of moving the yardage markers back to the 30 someday somewhere!!

16. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Met Pat in Vandalia in his locker area one time As he smiled he said your a little hiper.( Understatement) He said just keep you focus you'll do fine. He was right. Frank Hoppe told me I need cement shoes and Valium. lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.