1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shade ideas for score keepers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by stockguy, Dec 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stockguy

stockguy Member

What does your gun club do to help shade the scorekeepers from the scorching sun? Looking for ideas to build or have built some kind of attachment for shade that can be added to scorers chairs - especially utilizing the new recycled plastic type of scorers chairs.

Metal hoops with fabric (canvas or better yet, beathable mesh fabric of some kind)? Shades using a built up wood structure? What would hold up to several years of wind and sun?

I wish I'd taken pictures of the shades used at Sparta. As I remember, they are incorporated into the chair (slipped-on?) made of fabric and had side shields. I know they were sturdy enough to act like sails for the chairs during the big storm last summer----LOL!

Any ideas or even better, pictures, would be appreciated.

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Do you think you could take care of the shooters too? HMB

3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

1 hand to write with and 1 hand to hold a golf umbrella if they want shade.

If they want to sit back there listening to Ipods and texting their BFFs then they can do it without the shade...their choice.

Keller

4. stockguy

stockguy Member

Barfin,

We're going to need something more substantial than umbrellas. I'm in the Central Plains and our wind will have those turned inside out in no time.

Those are the type of chairs I'm referring to. Thanks for the idea and the pictures!

Anyone else with some more ideas?

5. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

If you don't wish to use an umbrella, you can modify your chairs and use something like this...

http://www.nofaultsports.com/Tennisfolder/umpire_chairs/umpire_pvc.html

6. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

We used this type of umbrella at are club. Attached via a pipe (inserted), attached to the trap chair. Wind was not a problem...

http://www.walmart.com/ip/9-Wood-Market-Umbrella-Olive/15230083

7. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Tractor umbrella or sun shade.

Ede Ward

8. stockguy

stockguy Member

Joe, Thanks for the links. I'll consider them.

We have several custom awning makers in the local area that I have yet to contact and look into something custom for the stands. I'm just worried about the expence but that will work itself out once I get all ideas into the equasion.

We have a super bunch of youth scorekeepers that their coordinator would like to keep protected from the intense sun in the summer here in the midwest. Wind can be an issue so I don't want to consider something wimpy that wouldn't hold up.

Thanks for the ideas so far.

9. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Brock-a-Brella! Stupid looking but works great.

10. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

We use tractor umbrella's and they work great. Have to really tighten them down when the wind gets to whipping.

FRedmon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.