1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shade for shooters at the "Grand"

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Butler, Aug 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Butler

Butler TS Member

Was talking to a friend last night and he told me that a 30' X 30' tent put up and taken down after shoot is over cost around 450, we were thiinking that if the state associations all put up 1 tent going down the west side of the line at the grand it would be a great deal......check with your state association and see if any of them would be interested....... Jim Butler

2. Fox32

Fox32 Member

Shade for shooters at the

GREAT idea. However I don't see Ohio participating, so we would be one short.

3. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Trolling! trolling,trolling. Need better bait. Clyde

4. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

I think a better idea along these lines would be for each State Association to donate toward permanent shade structures. Then we could put a plaque or plate on indicating the donor.

Individuals or gun clubs could also donate.

Since we're going to be there for at least 15 more years (once the lease extension is negotiated and signed) it makes more sense to do permanent structures.

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

V10's idea makes better sense if you can get the already cash strappd clubs to donate. It would be an identifing spot for shooters i.e. "meet you at the Edwardsville Gun Club" shelter behind bank 14. Need them on the east end though more than the west end. JM2C---Matt

6. chipking

chipking TS Member

Good idea how about something like this.

(different sizes and styles available)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Can be anchored to the ground and cost depending on size ranges from $500 - 1200. Still well within the means of every State association and even some smaller clubs.

--- Chip King ---

7. primed

primed Well-Known Member

I think we could do with something much smaller. It seems rare to see more than one squad waiting behind a starting trap. Most will sit in their cars until it's almost time to shoot. Some shade would be much appreciated though.

Bob

8. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

But you have to realize, Bob, that people are sitting in their cars, in large part, because they don't want to stand in the sun to wait.

Whatever permanent shade structures are put up, they need to have a good shade "footprint" and they need to be able to withstand high winds.

9. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

Maybe the IDNR could use some of the $86,931.00 they got from the entries this year. I for one would not put up my money for a stucture on state owned property.

10. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

If the money is donated through the ATA it's a tax deductible charitable contribution.

11. Roc'n C

Roc'n C TS Member

The tents we discussed would be similar to the Down Range tent that Kevin uses, a true vendors tent, not a pop up tents,
    Chuck

12. primed

primed Well-Known Member

Sorry about that V10. I thought they were sitting in their cars for the air conditioning like we were. LOL

Bob

13. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Well, Bob, I did say "in large part." :)

I'm sure the AC was a big draw, but I think if folks could have gotten out of the sun they would have been more inclined to congregate near the traps sooner.

14. tomlieb

tomlieb Member

What about Planting trees? Is there a reason why Sparta has no trees? Tents would be a good temporary measure, but the absence of trees seemed obvious to me this year. No tent would have stayed up during Wednesday's storm this year.

15. grntitan

Trees have had trouble growing in the poor old strip mine soil.

16. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Tent.. Nope.. for those of you who were not up there this year..You'll need heavy steel.. concrete roof.. Dan's 20 foot trailer was "moved across the parking lot in the first storm".. and a trailer was flipped over.. A mist cooler would also be useful..

17. Donm

Donm Active Member

CyKick
    They can put up $55,000,000 but for a state to put up $500 for you to have shade there when you shoot on that same state owned land that you wouldn't give a penny too is out of the question. Think about how dumb you just sounded.

18. grntitan

Well stated.

19. snowbird

snowbird TS Member

Why would we need shade it got down to 96 degrees at 9 pm.

Terry

20. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Just a thought. I used the old Vandalia tram cars for shade. I don't think I ever saw one filled. Our squads were always in hottest times of the day. I agree that we need more shade though and would be glad to donate to my state to build them.

I don't like the looks of the ones pictured here. I think they look cheap but that's just me. They would be practical since they are cheap and pretty much maintenance free. Like GTitan said, it's tough to grow trees on the soil there. All the trees were terribly stressed and had borers. They don't have a chance. Most of the trees there are slow growth trees like pin oak and hard maples (some others that I couldn't identify.

I've been doing a bit of digging and there is a hybrid poplar that grows about 10 to 12 feet per year and is very drought resistant. It they were properly planted they might make it. I'm going to ask permission to plant a ten footer on the WSRC grounds in a hole at least 3 times the size of the root ball and back fill the hole with good soil and see if I can get one started. Worth a try. These poplars are not like the ones that only live about 30 years and grow in a spire. They have a nice canopy like a maple and provide very good shade.

I think we need trees and the shelters. A ten footer is about $15 bucks in bulk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.