1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

setup for shot making

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by quicky, Nov 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quicky

quicky Member

There has been a lot of discussion of home-made, very modest production rate
    shotmaking systems here lately. One shooter suggests using a circulating pump of the kind used in patio waterfalls, and that is fine, but a bit expensive,
    if you are looking to save every penny possible. So......here in the southwest
    evaporative coolers are popular. They consist of a galvanized (usually) metal box maybe 30 inches high with louvers on at least three sides in the sidepanels.
    A pump is provided to circulate water to the three louvered sides, and this pump is of cheap and simple construction, yet lasts a long time.Output is small, only a guessed-at three gallons a minute or so, depending on discharge piping elevation difference, or head. The pump usually rests on the bottom of the cooler, and operates in water three inches or thereabouts deep. This pump uses only a 1/10th horse motor, maybe less. Also provided is a squirrel
    cage blower which pulls air through the louvers, over and thru the water from the circulating pump, thereby cooling it. Pads are used in home cooling to
    get more cooling effect, but you don't need those. The blower motor is about 1/2 hp or even 1/3. So you get the picture.....water being directed over louvers and cooled by evaporation, used over and over again to cool your shot.Even though the power draw is minimal, the actual lead melting should not be done from the same wall socket or even on the same house wiring circuit, to avoid tripping circuit breakers.

2. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

pictures please.

3. quicksand

quicksand Guest

I have been reading some of the various threads regarding shotmaking and I have some questions about the shot that is being produced. How round is the shot that is being produced by the various shotmakers?

Some of the photos that I have seen in other threads show the shot falling into a liquid that is just a few inches below the orifice. Doesn’t the shot need to fall a much longer distance to be round (40-50’)?

Some locally produced shot in general looks good. There was a percentage that had a teardrop shape and other marks. I’m interested in getting started, but want more information.

Thanks,

Dave

4. pduryee

pduryee TS Member

I've been fooling around with a Littleton and made my first run last weekend of about 75 lbs. Mine is a pretty simple arrangement. I notched the side of an ammo can about 1/4 inch (about 7X6X11) the Littleton hangs in the slot, Lotox antifreeze (aprox 1.5 gal) comes up to about 1/8 to 1/4 inch from the lip. Another ammo box sits beside the first with an elbow brazed in so that as shot displaces anti freeze, it overflows to the second can. Shot falls into a commercial fryer basket lined with window screen. After about 2 hours of use the coolant temp rose to 150 degrees. I have a small pump that will be rigged to circulate coolant through a transmission cooler then back to the main tank. Really a couple of hours is all I felt like messing with it anyway. Best shot seems to come above 100 degrees but all in all about 99% was shootable shot. Very pleased with the results. Will try to post a pic later

5. PATRICK L HOGAN

PATRICK L HOGAN TS Member

i have read that some people use an aquerium heater in there coolant tank to get the coolant temp near 90 deg before starting

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.