1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Setup for Doubles

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by supersenior, Jun 4, 2013.

1. supersenior

supersenior Member

I have a Browning Citori (adjustable comb) dedicated for Doubles only.
    It's setup for a 60/40 POI,however,I can't seem to break the 2nd target consistently.
    Do most shooters have their gun setup for flat shooting or a 60/40,70/30?
    Just wondering............
    Any help would be appreciated.

2. Kemper

Kemper Active Member

Its probably not your gun, its you eyes are to slow Away from the first target.

Barry

3. alf174

alf174 Member

Or have someone video tape you; your head may be coming off the stock after the first shot which would change your perceived POI for the 2nd.

4. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

. . . Or you are a bit slow and the second target is flat or falling and so you are just going to have to either

1. Speed up or

2. Shoot under it

But I also wonder about

"It's setup for a 60/40 POI . . ."

How did you go about doing that? Did you check it? How?

Neil

5. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

Stop watching the first bird break!

SW

6. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Can you consistently break 16 yd. targets with the top bbl.? If you can;I'd think your problem lies elsewhere.

Steve

7. 27 YD'ER

27 YD'ER TS Member

What is the point of impact of the gun you shoot the very best from both singles and handicap?

Once you get that established, The over/under barrels should shoot exactly the same POI. You elimenate the brain from having to learn different places to look to break targets. THIS is a simple minded persons sport.. Don't try to out think it.

There are three basics to shooting doubles....

Foot position

Where to hold on the first target and

Post Three...

You should position your feet to shoot the second target.
    Next, Concentrate on the path of the first target by picking a spot that the target passes through and hold your gun level at the point. When you call and see the target come just above the barrel, make a small upward movement as you pull the trigger and then lock your eyes on the second target until it's broken....
    The key to post three,,,, is somewhat the same..except, take and draw an imadginary verticle line from the right front corner and see where the target passes through that verticle line. Hold the gun a touch under the flight path of the target and just inside the verticle line. THEN, when you call for the target you make a small right movement then lock your eyes on the second target until it is broken... The key work is "Broken". Do not take your eyes off the target...until it's broken.. I have tought three state and national rookies of the year to shoot doubles... My disclaimer is that this may not work for everyone... I'm not tooting my horn... but have broken 25 plus hundreds in doubles...I'm just trying to help everyone to be AA or better and love shooting doubles the same as I do....Bruce

8. supersenior

supersenior Member

Thanks everyone with your excellent tips.

9. Steve Bills

Steve Bills Member

27YD'ER....Bruce, Do you shoot doubles right handed,or are you a left hand shooter.....Thanks Steve

10. 27 YD'ER

27 YD'ER TS Member

Steve...

I'm a right handed shooter... The points that I made have worked for left handed shooters,,, Except some what the oppsite side of the trap for post three... thanks Bruce

11. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

My doubles gun is set to the same poi as my singles/handicap gun, 13".

12. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

P'master, is that at 40 yds?

13. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Big M, yes. But keep in mind that both mine are rising. Also, its what I see.

14. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

It seems a good place to start. I figured 13" @ 13 yds would be a bit high!

15. James344

James344 Active Member

27 YD'ER, I took my son to practice traps today and told him about your setup for post 3. He started holding just above the front right corner and he was hitting his targets a lot better than previous . Thanks for the tip. Post 3 and 1 are his hardest spots, and now I think he has 3 licked. We're just going to have to spend more time on 1.

16. 27 YD'ER

27 YD'ER TS Member

James,

Thanks for the "'Thanks". It's always good to hear good results.. I'm just happy to help.

17. flashmax

flashmax Well-Known Member

27 YD'ER,

Shot doubles for the first time last week Sunday. 25 pair after the registered shoot just to try the game. My GURU is good but I like every detail I can stuff into my brain. Practiced 600 targets Tuesday, read this thread Wednesday, then shot 50 pair registered Saturday. Not a bragging score but not bad either. Re-read this thread Saturday night and shot 50 more pair registered Sunday. Shot a respectable score and was in a shootoff with another shooter who's name often appears as class winner. 2 rounds and finally I won it. Straight twice.

If all the advice on here is paid attention to, and the parts that make sense for the shooter in need are tried, many of us will become better shooters in shorter time. Thanks for posting straight skinny.

Don T. Littleton CO

18. James344

James344 Active Member

27YD'ER,
    Took my son to a registered shoot on Saturday and he shot his best doubles score ever. 94/100, with a 48/50 on first trap. He ran post three both times. Told me that post 3 is now his relaxation post when he used ot hate it. Thanks again for the advice. He really needed that good score to boost his confidence. Now if we can get 1 and 2 down he'll be good to go.

19. targetchip

targetchip Banned User Banned

supersenior, ask somebody to film you with a smartphone and send the video to " Qwickrespose"

It may not be the POI it may be a a setup problem for doubles.

20. 27 YD'ER

27 YD'ER TS Member

Don....& James....

First...I'd like to say thanks for the compliments..

I am glad to hear the success that you're having. I had a real good friend tell me that I was giving up too much info...and I live him like a brother...But, he's probably right... At this point, Good luck and shoot well.
    Don.. I'll be at the Colorado State shoot this week. So, If you and your son get to Delta Trap Club, look me up..I'd like to say hi..