1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Settle an argument

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by esoxhunter, Apr 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

My son and I were discussing what load to reload to save him a few $$. He feels it would be better to load 1 1/8 oz. reloads using reclaimed shot for his 16 yard and sporting clays shooting. I said that before I would use the reclaimed, (deformed and possibly dirty) shot; I would load new shot with a 1 oz. load. I felt the performance of the 1 oz. load would be better and it figures out to be the 1 oz. load costs him $.58 a box more than if he would load 1 1/8 oz reclaimed. Bottom line; what would you prefer to shoot? ( 1 oz. loads with new shot or 1 1/8 oz with reclaimed shot). Thanks. Ed

2. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

I shoot 7/8 ounce will work great on both 16 and sporting try it they shoot that in bunker and you can shoot a fast load with out heavy recoil just my thoughts.
    Buddy

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I would not shoot reclaimed shot if it were free..... I do like however the reclaimed and re dropped shot from Larry Stockman

4. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

1 1/8th oz Virgin Shot #8s I like lots of soldiers.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

5. himark

himark Well-Known Member

I wouldnt use reclaimed in any of MY guns. I always use 1oz from 16/s.

6. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Not all reclaim shot is created equal. I shoot reclaim that has been cleaned and regraphited, and have shot a ton of it without any problems. Mark

7. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Use 1-1/8 of new shot.
    Clyde

8. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

You should know better than to come to Trapshooters to settle an argument. :) Mark

9. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I settle arguements as a side job, my first love is picking up shotgun shells that people have let fly and resell them by the box ... Go figure, no over head and all profit ... I shoot all new shells so I don't have a choice in the matter regarding reclaim, magnum, or square shot ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

10. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Whatever but with new shot.

11. Skeeix

Skeeix TS Member

Dan Orlich told me that we should be able to break 16 yard targets with oatmeal. Easy for him to say.

Clyde

12. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

One more distraction to take away from concentrating on the bird... we're talking 16 yard trap... and I'm figuring the use of reclaimed is for practice purposes... who cares as long as it's all shot and relatively clean...

Unless you've got buckshot heavily mixed with #8s, bridging wont be an issue with #9-#7.5s... you're talking 1-1/8oz... 12 gauge loader, using 12 gauge wads?

Want to really save money... load 3/4 oz and use 15-16g of fast burning powder in a cheapie clone wad... with some imported primer... that will really save you some scratch... and you'll still break straights...

Jay

13. kcbullets

kcbullets Member

What spitter said...

14. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

The light loads they are talking about are great. 24 grams of shot at up to 1300 FPS will break the target with one shot where heavier loads of shot at 1150 to 1200 FPS requires 3 or more pellets to break the target. This will work from the 16 yard line but the speed of the shot drops a lot at the 27 yard line before it hits the target.

15. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

1 1/8 oz with reclaimed shot for me and the heavy shot like TG = Top Gun. Now that is what I used on all. Ray

16. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I can see the dirt factor making a difference if you pick it up off the ground and load it in a shell. If it is worked, as in polished, then re-graphited it pretty much is the same as what is leaving your barrel in the first place. Even the new shot is penned, and out of round when it leaves your barrel, correct?

17. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

It depends on the cost of the reclaimed shot vs new. I paid $2.50/bag for the reclaimed shot I'm using so...

18. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

Clean reclaimed, works great at the 16 !

19. Lead Miner

Lead Miner Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

My customers want you to shoot new shot because I am having a hard time polishing my reclaimed shot fast enough for them the way it is. This will leave them with a better supply of clean polished reclaimed lead shot for them to use. Lol duh. Use 1 ounce of good clean polished reclaimed shot. Terry

20. jimctrap

jimctrap Member

Dan also said he did'nt know they made anything except heavy 7 1/2's

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.