1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Setting up doubles gun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Go Fish, Dec 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Go Fish

Go Fish Member

I am restocking my 30" Browning Broadway rib shotgun with a left handed semi-inletted stock from Wenigs. I want to set it up for doubles. In an article by Joe Ljutic on setting up a shotgun for doubles his two main points were 1) LOP should be 1/4" longer than your singles gun and 2) 1- 2" more down pitch on stock. Any thoughts on these two points or any other suggestions?

2. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Is there any truth to your handle? I `find the extra 1/4" interesting. I think I'd have guessed the opposite. Bob

3. Go Fish

Go Fish Member

Bob
    Info was taken from an article "TWEAKING PERFORMANCE FROM YOUR DOUBLES GUN" by Joe Ljutic. Don't remember where the article came from by I made a copy of it. I can e-mail you a copy if you want. Let me know.

4. Patrick Haskins

Patrick Haskins Member

If you don't mind, I would love to have a copy of that article.
    thanks,
    Pat Haskins

5. Bob Hawkes

Obviously, you weren't fishing. Sorry about that. Sure, I enjoy reading anyones thoughts on shooting and Joe certainly was a good trapshooter. My e-mail is XXrhawkessr@redmondconcrete.comXX, drop the X's of course. Thanks, Bob

6. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

May I have a copy, too, please?

Bob

7. cueguy2

cueguy2 TS Member

If you don't mind, one also please.
    I accidently got on a squad with Joe at one of the Grands in Vandalia. Not very talkative though, but he shot well if I remember.
    Nubs Wagner

8. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

'preciate it, Joe.

Interesting article.

Bob

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

Certainly, Joe Ljutic was an excellent shooter. But, I fail to understand his advice about both length of pull and pitch. Can anyone explain this to me?

Pat Ireland

10. Bob Hawkes

Go Fsh, Thank you for the article. I did find his thoughts interesting and contrary to what I would have thought. I hate to admit that my thought process would be similar to Pat's. His early morning thoughts and post's can sometimes put me in deep thought trying to understand what he meant. Shoot well and thanks again, Bob

11. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The most important thing a doubles gun can do is hit the second bird. Get the POI of the second barrel set so you can hit the second bird. This is all related to your timing, how fast do you shoot the first bird? Is the second bird rising or falling when you shoot at it? You have to know these facts before your gun can be setup for you. HMB

12. gnprts

gnprts Member

Hey Go Fish...... I would like to have a copy of Joe Lujtic's article.....Several years ago My doubles gun came up lame and I borrowed an O/U with a stock too long for me and to my surprise I broke a good doubles score with it...

13. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

For a period of about 5 years I was privileged to shoot a lot with my late friend Joe Ljutic. Joe was very intense about his shooting and a real student of the game. We had a discussion about the longer stock for doubles guns when I bought a Ljutic O/U in the late '90s. He suggested 1/4" longer than the Mono gun I was shooting at the time, frankly I thought he was nuts, but since making it shorter was no big deal I had the stock set up as he suggested. Well, I have to admit that the thing worked like a charm. The longer stock with the increased downpitch allowed me to keep the barrel down after the first shot and make a straight line swing to the second target. I shoot moderately fast so the longer gun helps me control the longer swing. My 34" Perazzi MX-2000RS has a slightly longer stock than my single barrel does today. (Thanks, Joe.) I wish I could give you better and more logical reasons why it works for me ... I can't ... it just does.

Bob Schultz

14. Bob Hawkes

Bob, Thank you for the personal explanation. It certainly doesn't hurt to try something a little different. I've stopped shooting doubles a few years ago, but intend to start again this year after I get from one eyed to using two eyes, I hope. We need better weather, 17 this AM, or get my fanny to AZ. Thanks again for your good service to the club, Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

setting up a doubles gun for trap