1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Setting up a Chrony for Shotguns?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Quack Shot, Jun 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Put a peice of heavy plactic in front of the unit to keep it cleaner. My usual distance is 5 to 10 feet. Some work a little closer (5ft) and some a little further (7-10ft). I use the diffusers and mount two units in tandem. I also seem to get better results while using the most open choke I can get. (Cylinder bore)

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

5 feet, cloudy day. Stay a foot above the unit, a shotshell wad will terminate the display.

Don't ask how I know this.

HM

3. clayshooter555

clayshooter555 TS Member

+1 to all of the above. Best/most accurate reading on these types of chronys will come from the most open choke you have.

4. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

FYI- your shells will graph faster than you think. The manufacturers clock the cloud of shot & you'll be clocking only the leading pellets.

5. BunkerGuy

BunkerGuy TS Member

I do mine a bit differently. Oehler manual says 4 feet, muzzle to first screen. After set up, I fire a few factory 2 3/4 dram, 1 1/8 oz shells to calibrate the set up. Over the years, I have found the factories keep these pretty close to the 1145 '/s spec.

When the chrono reads about 1145'/s, I know I can have some confidence in the numbers. Cylinder is the proper choke, tighter boosts the numbers.

- - Bill

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I always heard what "Doug Brown" above stated. I was told they don't give very reliable readings because of the way it reads the first flyers instead of the actual dense pattern. Wouldn't using a more open choke even possibly make that worse. How do you get around that? Seems if thats the case your data wouldn't be very useful. I ask because i wanted to buy a chrono at one time to play with different loads but was told not to waste my money.

7. jakeduke

jakeduke Member

I try not to get to critical with dense or main pattern when checking speed, at the distance you are checking would seem to make little difference because it is basicaly a slug. I have shot quit a few shots with factory and reloads and they seem to be fairly close to published data in the summer time. The cheaper brand of ammo seem to differ a little more in speed. I cant shoot good enough to know the difference though.

I like to chrony my long range heavy ammo more than any as in oakly, jack pot loads, back ups turkey hunting ect . These are the ones I like to keep pretty consistant with certain speed at long range for pattern density.

Thats my 2 cents for what its worth

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

chrony for shotgun

youtube how to set up a chrony for shot guns