1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Setting up a Bumpbuster

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by johnt34, May 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnt34

johnt34 TS Member

Those of you that have a Bumpbuster could you please give me a hand with setting mine up. I had the unit installed on a Miroku Mk10 (Browning Citori in USA). Honestly can't tell the difference in terms of recoil reduction and maybe just slightly more perceived recoil. Which seems odd but probably because I went from a 1inch Kick-eez to a 1/2". Currently, set on "7" and last night moved it to 8.

Now the setting of the hydraulic part of the unit if I make it easier to compress the hydraulic part ie. softer I increase the recoil reduction? Am I right or going the wrong way?

Also how do you guys make the pad adjuster adjustable with the pad on. The hole does not seem to stay in the one spot so now to adjust I have to take the pad off, make adjustments then put pad on a gain. A bit of a PITA.

If you have photos of the view from the recoil pad end, I would appreciate that.

Thanks & regards,
    John

2. RidefastShootstraight

RidefastShootstraight TS Member

Here is an answer to your question, wrap your miroku in some bubble wrap, and quietly leave it in a dumpster, then get to the nearest gunshop and place an order for a Perazzi! with a Perazzi, you just need to hold it, it will crush every target by itself, and do so without any recoil at all! because Mr. Mauro Perazzi has built the "Recoiless Nano Technology" in the steel and the wood of all his guns!and if you put your Perazzis on a proper diet and good excercise program, and mate them with other thoroughbred Perazzis, you have very good chance of getting thoroughbred Perazzi offsprings! and sell them for a profit!

Only kidding dailou, I could not help myself...hehehe, you have to spend some of your millions, somehow, you know. see you when I get back!

3. curly1946

curly1946 TS Member

should have saved yourmoney I'm on my 3rd one . Still kicks the sh*t out of me

4. johnt34

johnt34 TS Member

I'll buy a Perazzi when I shoot as good as you. I'm glad you realise how good Perazzi is - should place that Gamba in the Dumpster without the bubble wrap! They are supposed to be tough aren't they?

Take care & see you when you get back.

Regards,
    John

5. Church Key

Church Key TS Member

I'd give Ken Rucker a call and have him talk you through how to set it up. You should also have written instructions on how to adjust it. Admitedly, these are minimal, but clear after a few trys. As you noted, adjustments have to be done with the pad off. Mine came set on a 4 and I just left it there.

6. johnt34

johnt34 TS Member

Church Key,

I did twice so he must be away or something wrong with his email. Lots of people here use the Bumpbuster so I was hoping for some help in the meantime. Just to steer me in the right direction.

On the pad I'm glad I'm not the only one that can't figure out how to adjust without removing pad. It seems if you cant it at all, you need a very big horizontal slot.

Thanks,
    John

7. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

John, check your email.....hopefully mine got thru. As far as adjusting the pad goes, I put a .30" hole thru the rubber with a punch and a .625" hole thru the hard back of the pad. I have adjusted thousands of them this way(my pad adjuster is the same way) without any issues. This is the same way many different stocksmith's pad adjusters are set up....mine, Larkin, Hissem, Heeg, etc. The trick is the clearance hole in the pad's hard back surface.

Ken Rucker

8. johnt34

johnt34 TS Member

Ken,

Thanks. Yes I got the email. For benefit of others you make the hydraulic part stiffer to get more recoil reduction and I was doing the opposite.

regards
    John

9. johnt34

johnt34 TS Member

Duke,

Have read the instructions. Firstly, my unit does not have the set screw referred to, nor does it have the knurled knob at the end of it. Secondly, "0" is the stiffest and "9" the lightest-which is the opposite of what the instructions on the blog site says. I don't know if they have changed models and the numbering system.

However, I believe that Ken is coming up with detailed instructions and hopefully pictures as well.

regards
    John

10. johnt34

johnt34 TS Member

Ken if you read this - I set the Bumpbuster on "4" & shot it today. Now I can feel the recoil reduction. Your instructions say "6" should be about right for target loads and that is all I use but it did not work. Not just me but other people that shot it too.

But when you said it should be set stiffer for more recoil reduction it all clicked in & fine now. Shot 6 rounds of skeet & no worse for wear from recoil.

regards,
    John

11. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

Hey, John...different guns, loads and shooters ......that's why it's adjustable...glad you got it set.

Ken

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.