1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Setting targets with a radar gun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by james huffington, Dec 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. james huffington

james huffington TS Member

Need advise on setting traps with a radar gun, Is it worth the cost? if so what kind of gun is worth purchasing? are used or recondition guns available? Have never used on before, so don't know anything about them, All help would be greatly appreciated. Big Jim

2. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

It's worth it if you have any wind at all and also..you want the best targets for your customers. If you have no wind, then a distance stake and height pole work fine. I have yet to find that club, but then I live and shoot mostly in Montana.

The best gun out there is one that gives good results with a minimun of effort.
    For me it's the Prospeed, but it's not necessary to have the most expensive. This one is handy because you can shoot the targets from the 16 yard line or even the 27 yard line and get good results.

JMHO Happy Holidays

Rickyd--Great Falls Trap Club

3. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

Big Jim,

Go to the ATA website, click on "About the ATA",,then click "View the rule book. You will see "Radar Guns and Chronographs" and "Rules for the use of Radar Guns and Chronographs
    to set Target Speed".

I have yet to hear of a club that regretted buying a high power radar gun, like the Decatur Prospeed CR-1K that Bob Schultz sells (an advertiser here). I have watched clubs struggle, using a low power gun, that does not allow one to randomly read the speed from behind the 27 yard line as an event is going on. Traps can change speed, both up and down for a couple reasons. A radar gun purchase shows that a club is serious about setting good targets. Shooters remember where good targets are thrown.

Mash on the Bob Schultz link.

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

The inexpensive guns will work well. I like my Prospeed gun, but it is not the inexpensive one. The important part of using a gun to set targets is to use it correctly and consistently on each trap. Using the best gun incorrectly will not result in good targets. Using the cheapest gun correctly will result in good targets.

Pat Ireland

5. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

The Pro Speed is worth the extra money. The low powered guns reads in whole MPH's, while the better guns read in tenth's of MPH. There is a big difference.
    Shoot well and often while we can, Bob

6. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

our lil club sits on a hill and we have never fiqured out the height stick due to that! we purchased a radargun from bob schultz, we set speed at 41-42 mph( the number of cranks on spring is then "remembered"! we also bot an angle meter- not sure if you call it that ,which has a magnetic base- attached to the thrower we set to 20- 21degrees. one last thing on the radarguns- there are 2 kinds - one at more $ which will work from the back fence and the other you pickup taget speed right at the thrower we have the later!!
    wally riebesell

7. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

I use the sports radar from Bob Shultz. Made a small stand for it and just sit it on the trap house. Works just fine.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v337/Jim45/Trap%20Pics/?action=view&current=Traphouse003.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Jim

8. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

DEFINITLY worth the cost if you wanna' set the very best targets that you can, especially if conditions are not the ideal "over level ground in still air" referred to in the old distance rules. You can buy a radar gun for from about $300 up to about $600, main difference being the cheaper model should be used from just behind or on or in the trap house......while the higher priced models can be used while standing farther back. Either will give you accurate speed readings for setting the trap, the higher power'd, higher priced one will allow you to stand behind the shooters and verify the speed while shooting is in progress.

John C. Saubak

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

use of radar gun for setting ot targets