1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

setting target height ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ky205, Oct 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ky205

ky205 Member

When you set target height, it is set with the cross bar at 10 yds and between 8 to 10 feet. Some clubs set it by using a protractor or a type of angle meter, I know that Pat trap makes a device to do this. Where in the ATA rule book is this found ? Is this way actually legal ? And what is the correct angle if the ATA does approve this method.
    Thanks,
    Harry W.

2. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Make a stake and set them at 9' but just before the grand, set them at 14 so you will be ready.

3. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

We are a small club and only throw one PITA shoot a year. We don't have a radar gun, but set the PAT traps to 21 degrees (I use an electronic level, Sears $25)and throw the bird to the 50 yard stake for singles in calm air. They get tweaked from there by the veteran shooters. For doubles, center the field, set for doubles, raise the trap to 23 degrees and give the speed about 7-8 cranks. Give it a visual check for straight aways from between one and two, and then between four and five, and you're set, until they start complaining. We actually throw some pretty good looking targets.

4. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

Actually I think the Grand targets are flatter than at a lot of places.
    Not saying they are flat just that they are no where near 14' AND they are not strong. Since Jim took over they are a lot more consistent than previously (and a helluva lot better).

5. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

It's not the rulebook. The ATA trusts people to use their heads and most do.

I'm not a believer in setting by angle, but as long as squads can change them, I don't worry.

Neil

6. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I'm with Phil. Especially in the last couple years. Targets have been very good at the Grand lately. They are setting them at about the height that is usually set in the Midwest. It's been my experience that the further you travel west in the US, the higher the target setting.

7. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

ky205,

This is from one of Bob Schultz' excellent previous posts on the subject. Bob does sell radar guns and angle finders. A Sears 10" digital level is absolutely perfect for Pat Trap though. Target height review by an experienced setter or shooter is necessary in stronger winds. You can't get around that.

"IF your Pat Trap is located in the house properly. Meaning that when the target on the arm is at rest, with the machine cocked, it is at the same level as the top of the pad on post three...then a target launched at 21.2 to 21.5 degrees will be very close to 9.5 feet high at the 10 yard distance. Each full degree on the angle finder represents 6.2 inches of elevation change and each tenth of a degree ( measured with the Digital Angle finder) is 5/8 or .62 inches. This seems close enough for me.

Knowing this, if you are setting targets on a bad day with windy conditions you can set the targets to the standard setting THEN make minor corrections to adjust for the prevailing conditions. However, you would be amazed at how little of an adjustment is necessary from your standard target to obtain shootable targets.

The point being, on a good day you can set very consistent targets field to field and shooters will be happy. On a bad day you can adjust from a known standard on each field and throw very consistent targets and shooters will be happy. Last time I checked we do this for fun. Most shooters like to shoot good targets and good scores. If you want to have shooters return to your club, make an effort to set the best targets you can. They will appreciate the effort and come back for more.

Thanks and shoot well, Bob Schultz Toll free 800-684-6329"

Where some clubs with multiple traps run into trouble with the T-Bar, is the fact that the pedestals the T-bar rests on have been known to be NOT the same height. And houses with inconsistent trap installation height will accordingly throw inconsistent angles of target presentation when using a T-bar.

Setting with a digital level will give the same angle of presentation. I think that is very important, especially when shooting one event over multiple traps.

8. KRK32

KRK32 Member

What is the proper length supposed to be for a T bar with level ground and what distance from the trap. Kirk

9. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

KRK32,

For a "9' target" the "T" bar should be nine feet from the point on the vertical bar that's the same level as the trap and the shooting pads to the TEE bar and should be placed 10 yards out in front of point "B" which would normally be the location of the trap.

John C. Saubak

10. butch's90t

butch's90t Member

Why can't you set the post 26 yards from the front of post 3 of the 16 yard line?

Harry is Eustis shooting registered this Sunday? HarryC

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

butch- The level post actually should be set 26 yards from post three. And the height should be measured from the ground at post three. The distance of 16 yards from post three to point B is a measurement of the proper distance of the trap house from the shooting positions, it is not the distance from the position of the trap machine from the shooting posts. The trap machine is best located in the house as far forward as possible. None of the distances in the rule book are measured from the trap machine.

I, like Neil, have had little success setting target height with an angle gage.

When setting targets, don't skip step one as many clubs do. Step one is adjusting the machine to throw a level target. No other adjustments should be made until the target is level. This is not as simple as it sounds, especially this time of year. The angle of the Sun will cast a shadow on one side of the target and this will make a level target appear to not be level.

Pat Ireland

12. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Our club has a level guage with a magnatized surface you can set on the plate on the throwing machine. We set ours at 21 degrees, which I didn't like at first. They seem higher than at other clubs, but I've come to like it because you see more of the target.

13. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

There is all the knowledge neede expressed already in a few of the above posts.26 yds, 10 yds, KISS. Neil has most of us using their heads and is still working on the rest. Pat makes a very significant point about the shadow or high light created by the angle of the sun. Shoot often while we can, Bob

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

joe- What angle do you use if one trap is set back 8-10 inches further forward in the house than another trap? What angle do you use if there is a 10-12 MPH NNW wind?

Pat Ireland

15. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You don't need no stinking angles, just set them so they look good. HMB

16. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

. . . because that's what some early squad is going to do anyway. Besides, it's the best way.

Neil

17. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Pat had to stir the pot didn't he, now it's started.LOL. Neil, you've got a long way to go, good luck to you. Bob

18. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

I set them in the morning, then Daro tweeks them. He has seen a million targets, and if Daro likes them, everybody likes them. Conditions change, that's why the traps are adjustable. Set em and shoot em! Reset em and shoot em some more! Change and repeat! To me, it's like the diffence between playing football or baseball in a dome or outside. Part of the game includes the outdoor conditions if you play outdoors. Trap is an outdoor sport. Set a legal target and play the game. See the bird, shoot the bird. Mark

19. KRK32

KRK32 Member

Thanks to everyone that helped. Me and my shooting buddy was asked to run our local club the other week we agreed since we want a place that throws good targets. We set them by eye last week to the stake the birds were going ten yards past it and were in the 4 hole when we first got to the trap well we made them as close to ata as we could. The guy that used to set the targets did not shoot there and would make them wild and then set on the bench and laugh at everyone that misses their bird. That was our main reason for agreeing to run it was to get good birds that new and experienced shooters can break. Kirk

20. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Joe -

When I set targets I never use the gauge. The only time I use it is if the trap was on wobble and I want to get it back to "about right" before we start looking at targets. Conditions dictate the angle of the trap, it's not a constant (just like the number of cranks on the spring is not a constant).

Scott

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
trap height sertings

ata target height

ata trap target height

how to set trap target height
setting height on trap macahine
setting trap angle and hight
setting trap shooting targets height
setting trap target height by angle