1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Setting Release Trigger

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Pull & Mark, Jun 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Dick, I say get yourself a Sporting Clays gun w/ a pull trigger and shoot some Sporting Clays and some Skeet for awhile. Do not shoot any Trap for a few months. Have some fun shooting the others for some time. Then once you have forgotten about your problems with trap go back to the same thing you always have done. I'll bet all will be fine, and who knows you might just like all three by the time your done. When I have a problem with one I just switch to another for a few months and all goes back to normal. Try it, might work for you as well. Beats pulling your hair out over something you can't control!!! Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

2. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Hi Dick.. Just a suggestion here. I also shoot Precision releases in my MX3 Special. I have a single release for the single barrel and a double release for the O/U. I have been shooting Precisions for many years now and have never had one pull through on me. If this is what is happening to you, return the trigger to Jim Coons immediately. He will check it out and fix it right away. If you are just having trouble setting the trigger, try mounting the gun and set the trigger firmly in the first joint of your trigger finger just before you call pull. This has helped others overcome the fear of the trigger pulling through. Once you get comfortable doing this, you should be good to go.... I hope it helps for you.. Dan Thome (Trap2)

3. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I understand anxiety and fear when setting a Release. A trigger that is too fast is very upsetting to me. My current McDaniels leaf spring release goes off at 24 oz where as the common let/off for a Precision Trigger is 32 oz. I can handle the faster release in my Doubles gun only because I know exactly where the first bird is going.

4. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

You're among many. Find a qualified hypnotherapist first. Otherwise, your only option is to set the trigger with the gun open and then close the action. That works for most and is the cheapest!!

5. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Dick... miketmx has a very valid point as well. I had both my triggers re-done by Precision to set at 88oz. and release at 26oz. This slowed them down quite a bit and made them much easier to control.... Good post, Mike.... Dan

6. oleolliedawg

Congratulations John on 20 successful years. Beware of year 21!!

7. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

Your release has probably sped up and you need it retuned.

8. oleolliedawg

Increasing the set pressure can help. This will slow down the trigger but since you've tried different triggers without success my original suggestion still stands.

This situation often begins when a shooter experiences a pull through. I often liken this to walking out of a dark bar room into bright sunlight and having someone smack you in the nose with a 2x4. Sure gets your attention the next time you exit that bar. Some human brains can handle pull throughs-others cannot and short circuit the wiring!!

9. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Regarding seeing a hypnotist, the first year I shot I had a terrible time with peripheral vision. Too many times a guy to my right would move around, raise his gun while I was shooting and that really bothered me. Ya, I know use blinders. I did, and in fact I spent $400 for a machine to make blinders that I designed a die for. Still used them to this day.

It bothered me, not mentally, but because I shoot/shot so damn fast, my eyes were always looking for a quick movement, e.g.; the target leaving the house. And, unless you know the squad, you really never know what idiot is shooting to your right until it's too late.

An MD friend, a plastic/cosmetic surgeon, suggested that I see a hypnotist. I did and he gave me a routine to use prior to shooting. I honestly thought it was a waste of my time, and also really felt that I'd never really been hypnotized, although when I did put myself through the routine, I really felt relaxed.

Long story short: two weeks later I shot a 99x100 in the Vandalia Handicap at the Grand. Can't say if it worked, but I was sure relaxed.

Following that, I was on the 27 the next year, so I was not so bothered as we were further apart when shooting handicap. However, if a guy raises his gun to my right, now, and I am in the act of shooting singles or doubles, he will be talked to. Consequently, many of us of the same feeling on this subject usually squadded together, and most 27-yarders have been aroud the block a few times, so they understand squad harmony.

WW

10. williamkelly

williamkelly Member

got the same problem 25years shooting from the shoulder with a release problem solved buy a gun that you can set the trigger with the action open set the trigger with no problem raise the gun close the action gun to shoulder call for the target release the trigger break the target. try it you will love it

11. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Jim Coons...303.699.6273...... Dan

12. snowbird

snowbird TS Member

Hi Dick.

I went through the same thing did you get the PM message I sent you?

Terry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.