1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Setting POI with an Adjustable comb

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bird_buster, Jan 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bird_buster

bird_buster TS Member

Hi new gun and somewhat novice shooter here. I am looking to get the gun shooting where I look. I have made some adjustments to the comb and notice movement on paper, but still struggle to hit targets. I have no problems with my old gun but can't seem to reproduce the results when I bring the new gun to the line.
    I am wondering what the best way to set the POI is. Is there a rule of thumb for how much the height of the pattern is increased or decreased @ 40yds when you move the comb up or down an 1/8th inch? Should I be shooting at the pattern board from 40yds or some other distance? I am assuming I should use the choke I intend to shoot with. With my old gun I tend to put the bead about right on the bird and have good success, I would like to set the new gun to do the same. Thanks for any adivce that can be given.

Cheers,
    SMK

2. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

birdbuster, there's way too many things not said in your post for anyone to give advice that's meaningful. How high is the old guns pattern, what kind is the new gun, same loads, same chokes etc..

With a new high tech shotgun with all the bells and whistles, shoot singles targets off a locked trap to throw straights. Adjust till you smoke clays from 3. Then move to 1 and then 5 and adjust a tad up or down till you smoke clays from there also. Hap

3. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

bird First question are you putting Plastic washers under the comb so you can repeat ?? Shoot your old gun on paper at 13 yards off a bench three or four shots at the same paper . Now shoot your new gun untill it shoots to the same place . That will get you close but you will need to shoot the new gun for a month or so before it,s feels right for you .

ALF

4. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Alf's right. Put it on the pattern board. Get it close to your old gun. Weight, balance, and trigger speed can all have affects. Remember, it's just like a rifle. You eye is the rear sight. Raise the comb to raise the POI, Move it right to move your POI right. Hap is also correct on the sequence for starters at the trap.

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

I strongly support shooting a gun on paper to get the POI where you want it to be. But, minor changes in the POI will not result in major changes in the number of targets broken. I would set the gun to shoot 2-4 inches high at 13 yards and make sure it is not shooting to the right or left. Then, go to the line and learn how to shoot the gun.

Unfortunately, most of us have bought several guns that we could never learn how to shoot. Many will accurately state that the gun must fit you properly. But, you don't know what a proper fit feels like until you get a gun that does fit you.

Pat Ireland

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Do what Hap suggests. Lock the trap machine on straight aways from station #3. Shot the birds and adjust the comb until you are hitting them in the center. Also you can try a couple different types of ammo. See what the gun likes. HMB

7. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

If you are busting good scores with your old gun, 1. I would bench shoot the old gun. As mentioned see if you can get the new gun to match POI as the old.
    Unless you are trying to achieve something different such as a higher shooting gun. Your best bet is to match as close to possible the new to old. Also your NEW gun maybe heavier/lighter? more weight forward or rear? When I switch from my XT to my 28" auto. I need to program myself to slow down my swing. or I will jump at the targets. Pats idea is good, I personally would just forget it is a new gun. Focus on the target pretend nothing has changed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

should i move ajustable comb up or down