1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Setting Pat-Trap doubles

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by JDEERE, Jul 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JDEERE

JDEERE TS Member

What is the proper way to set doubles on a Pat-Trap without a radar gun ?
    thanks, S.D.

2. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Adjust until the guys who are paying to shoot them say they can hit them.

3. washandwear

washandwear Member

Hi

From the ATA rule book:

In doubles shooting, targets shall be thrown not less than 44 yards nor
    more than 51 yards. Distance measurements are on level ground in still
    air. Targets shall be between 8 feet and 12 feet high, when 10 yards
    from Point B. The recommended height is 9 or 9 1/2 feet. The height at
    a point 10 yards from Point B is to be understood to mean height above
    an imaginary horizontal straight line drawn through the post and Point
    B (See Diagram II). The trap shall be adjusted so the angle of target
    spread is not less than 34 degrees. (See the alternative to setting by
    distance - setting by speed - in Section F, following.)

The 17 degree angle will appear to be a straight-away from a point
    3 1/2 feet to the right of post 1; the 17 degree angle will appear to be
    a straight-away from a point 3 1/2 feet to the left of post 5. This 17
    degree angle refers to the flight line of the target from the house to 15
    or 20 yards out and can be used for singles, handicap, and doubles target.

4. Kingbang

Kingbang TS Member

Thats a little tough only for me because we have a gun. However what ive seen before we had the gun is this. After you set it to straight aways, set to doubles, adjusted your doubles finger so your targets are the same height, We put on 8 cranks and then back it off one (band type) 6 for spring type (older PATS) Then adjust your height with the hoop. Doubles should be at 38 MPH, So I would think that if your PATs are set to ATA standards in the house the targets would fly close to regs. But find someone that is ATA/PITA A class doubles shooter to help give you a nod. You can pick up a gun for under $300.00. However you will get pro's and cons on using a gun. Trap 2 may weigh in on this, I hope he does. Wind, The proper setting of the trap in the house, the brand of targets you throw, the arm on your PAT having good rubber, is it kind of soft?, if hard replace it(rough it up just a squoosh with a 200 grit paper if soft)your singles brush and singles finger all good and properly alighned all come into play. Not only with doubles but especially with singles. Because if the single aren't right the doubles can't be. My 2 cents

Dennis

5. napawino

napawino TS Supporters TS Supporters

Set the elevation to the correct notch, tighten the spring by 9 turns of the crank, set the machine to throw straight ahead, and move the bird stop wheel to the other notch on the housing. Throw a pair for a test and start shooting.

6. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Perfect opportunity to rant a little about poorly centered doubles,

Far too often we wind up shooting doubles where the field isn't well centered because they set 'em by putting one guy standing halfway between posts 1&2 and another guy halfway between posts 4&5 and when they both agree that they're lookin' at a straightaway.........they call it "good". Talk about target setting by committee? Juda's priest!

If I might be so bold as to suggest------>ONE guy standing on post 3 can easily see if or not the field is centered and a whole bunch better than the aforementioned "committee" method.

John C. Saubak

7. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

True enough, John, but you left out the part that a single setter standing on three is _also_ the only one who can tell if the two targets are level. A double reason for one "appearance" (on 3) and one "speed" (on 1 1/3) setter.

Neil

8. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

I think what he is asking is how many winds on the main spring and how many notches up. What works for one Pat won't necessarily work on another. The springs and the bands work differently. As well and each machine is different.

But, if you are just shooting practice, and you have the machine set for nice singles, what works for most of the machines we have is to go up 4 on the elevation and wind it up 8 full turns. This will make for some decent, altho maybe not legal Doubles targets. The level is set with the finger in the back and the field with the right left toggle switch. Good luck and shoot well.

I am assuming that you know to reset the back wheel so it will drop the second bird.

Rickyd

9. JimmyP

JimmyP TS Member

How about using an inclinometer? Anyone use one? 7 or 8 cranks gets us close on speed and we have angle stakes set in the field for seperation. But the wobble trap doesn't have an elevator that is notched like the regular Pats so it is a little more difficult to set them consistantly.

Jimmy

10. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

Jimmy,

A Sears 10" digital level works absolutely perfect. I wouldn't reference it so often if it didn't work so well, but it does. It fits neatly between the throwing plate and the target turret on a regular Pat, and a wobble. Jog the wobble up or down to get 24.0 to 24.5 degrees in calm winds and you're all set for angle, providing your speed is correct. Adjust angle slightly as needed for wind, but 39 MPH doubles targets at 24.0 degrees are very stable targets. $29.95 to $39.95 will bring it home.

11. JDEERE

JDEERE TS Member

Thanks for all the replies.
    S.D.

12. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

Someone mentioned that to level the targets you have to adjust the finger at the back of the plate. That's true. It only takes a SMALL movement. Since I can't recall right now which way to move it if they are not level I don't want to give out false info. Someone else can answer it, I am sure. What you will be doing is changing the level of the right target. If you do have to make that adjustment, you'll also have to re-center the field as that will change.

Tim

13. missemucho

missemucho Member

I'm also interested in the correct way to adjust the "finger" to level targets; seems the right bird on our machines are always tipped slightly. Anyone got pictures? I'm too slow to follow written directions (thought I'd get that in before someone else does)!
    John

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

If you push the finger forward, it will raise the right bird. Puling it back will lower the right bird. A very little change in finger position will have a significant change in the height of the right target.

Pat Ireland

15. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

Pat is right on, as usual.

shoot well and have fun.......Rickyd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how to adjust the finger for doubles

pat trap setting for doubles

pat-trap g series setting doubles

setting doubles with pat traps