1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

setting angles on Pat Trap

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Capt_ed, Jun 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Capt_ed

Capt_ed Member

A while back there was a device for sale that you put in place of one of the relay inside the control box on the Pat Traps and it allowed you to check the hard angles of the Pat traps. I have been thru the search function but don't seem to be able to find it. Can anyone help me out.

Thanks, Ed

2. pulllit

pulllit Member

Here's an easy way to verify the switch positions. Jim

Subject: Setting Field

Radman, This is a copy of a post I saved before the big server crash. Since we have lost a lot of good reference information with the server crash here a helpful tip on setting the field limit switches. Setting the left and right limit switches with the interrupter stopping the travel before reaching the limit switch can be a problem. (Relevant to the one relay and a interrupter in the new G series machines) I have found a much easier way of setting the left and right limits. Turn power off, remove the interrupter and place a jumper wire in the octal socket pins #2 and #3. (a _ U _ shaped piece of #12 solid copper wire works well). Restore power and place the Manual / Auto switch in the Auto position. Machine will cycle back and forth on the limit switches. At the moment the machine stops at the end of the left stroke, flip the Manual / Auto switch to the manual position. Machine is now stopped at the left limit switch. (left limit switch is the switch on the right side of the machine as you face out of the trap house) Trip the release switch to throw a bird and observe if it is a straight away from post 4-1/2. I place a target on top of the house at point “B” to use as a reference aiming point. Adjust the switch (if needed) and re-tighten the left limit switch and return the Manual / Auto selector switch in the Auto position. When the machine again stops to change direction to the right, flip to the manual position and release a bird to check the adjustment. If the bird is a straight away from the 4-1/2 post then place the 4&1/4 inch adjustment rod between the just set left limit switch and loosen the right limit switch. Snug the right limit switch against the adjustment rod and tighten. The field is now set for a two hole target. Turn off the power, take out The jumper, replace the interrupter and turn on the power. I find this method much faster. In place of the jumper wire, I use a 8 pin octal relay with the insides removed and pin 2 and 3 connected. Attached is a picture of where to place the #12 jumper wire. The interrupter socket sits in the Pat Trap control box with the index Pin at 9:00. Pins 2&3 are at the 6:00 position. (facing the control box door)

Jim Warner

http://inlinethumb28.webshots.com/39963/2960857470053274439S600x600Q85.jpg

3. Capt_ed

Capt_ed Member

Thanks so much. This was part of the post but I thought there was a device for sale that had a set of buttons on it that took the machine to its left and right limits. This is a great option though

Thanks , Ed

4. goldenbear

goldenbear Member

Capt ed:

Is this the post you were looking for?

Subject: New Product for setting angles on Pat Trap
    Email: piercesales@frontier.com
    Date: Mon, Jan 03, 2011 - 07:38 PM ET

The price is $295 Plus shipping
    Bryan Pierce Pierce Sales & Repair 432 Oakridge Drive Portage WI 53901
    e-mail piercesales@frontier.com
    Phone 608 617 6631

5. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

I use the cheap way, works fine, thanks Jim.

6. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Good info to keep.

7. BD Trapshooter

BD Trapshooter Member

Capt ed,

Golden Bear has it right. We own one of Bryon Pierce's Angle Masters. They work great. I can set or check all 4 traps in about 1 hour by myself and use a total of 16 targets. E-mail me and I will give you the full run down on how to check the angles and set them with the Angle Master or call Bryon and he will certainly fill you in.

Dan McDermott
    Beaver Dam Conservationists

8. grunt

TTT

9. Martin Benko

Martin Benko TS Member

Jim:

Will the jumper wire also work the same way on the older G series machines or is there a different procedure for these machines?

Thanks;

Marty

10. grunt

Works the same.

11. Martin Benko

Martin Benko TS Member

Thank You

12. scratcher

scratcher TS Member

Brian Pierce's device is really slick.....Well worth the money for the quality of target setting that will be the result.

Dick Gries

13. arrow

arrow Member

For what it is worth here are some of my findings on setting the angles on
    the Pat trap. I am familiar with the system Jim Warner uses. I use to make up relay sockets with the jumper to do this with. One of the advantages the Pierce Angle Master (P.A.M.) has over this is it throws a target at the end of the left or right swing while the trap is in motion. This gives you the widest angle that the trap will throw. The momentum of the trap will throw a wider angle then a stopped machine. This will give you a more accurate angle setting. Another advantage is the PAM detects maintenance issues with the trap. If you set PAM for a right angle and throwing 3 or 4 targets in a row they should all go on the same path. If they wander to the right or left you have maintenance issue with the trap. First thing to check is the brush. Another possible issue is the turret timing. Even though you cannot set doubles angles with PAM it will show up the maintenance issues that will cause doubles targets to wander. Another use is PAM can be used to set the high and low target limits on a Pat wobble trap. The unit has been well received by the customers that are using it. It makes it much easier to set the angle fields on the Pat traps. The price is $295 plus shipping. If you have questions I will be very happy to help you in any way.

Bryan Pierce
    Pierce Sales and Repair
    piercesales@frontier.com
    608-617-6631

14. arrow

arrow Member

The Pierce Angle Master is a New Product I first brought out in January
    of 2011. I have not done much advertising on the unit but the feedback on the units that are out has been very positive.

You only need one unit as it moves from trap to trap. It works on the G and SW
    model traps and the wobble trap.

If you are a small practice club or league club that is not that concerned about target presentation you do not need this unit.

If you want to throw the most breakable legal target possible you will find the unit very helpful.

You will find the savings in time and targets setting the traps and the number shooters happy with your target presentation make this unit a very worthwhile purchase.

Bryan Pierce

15. rogertc

rogertc Member

This is about as simple as it gets!

Turn power off, remove the interrupter (inside the control box at the back of the trap machine) and place a jumper wire in the interrupter socket across pins #2 and #3. A "U" shaped piece of #12 solid copper wire works well. Tin the ends of the jumper to ensure good contact and bend it to provide a friction fit in the pin holes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Restore power and place the Manual/Auto switch in the AUTO position. Machine will cycle back and forth on the limit switches. At the moment the machine stops at the end of its right travel, flip the Manual/Auto switch to the MANUAL position. The machine is now stopped at the right limit switch (This is the right switch as you face the front of the trap machine).

Place a target on top of the house above the turret center bearing to use as a reference aiming point from post 1-1/2. Trip the release switch to throw a bird and observe if it is a straight-away from post 1-1/2. Adjust the switch (if necessary) and recycle the machine (Manual/Auto to AUTO) and then stop it at the new switch position. Snug the right limit switch clamp screw when the adjustment is correct.

Return the the Manual/Auto selector switch to the Auto position. Machine will cycle back and forth on the limit switches. At the moment the machine stops at the end of its left travel, flip the Manual/Auto switch to the MANUAL position. The machine is now stopped at the left limit switch (This is the left switch as you face the front of the trap machine).

Trip the release switch to throw a bird and observe if it is a straight-away from post 4-1/2. Adjust the switch (if necessary) and recycle the machine (Manual/Auto to AUTO) and then stop it at the new switch position. Snug the left limit switch clamp screw when the adjustment is correct.

I find the 4-1/4" rod spacer between the switches does not work all that well. Not all magnets and switches interact exactly the same. Set your switches individually and measure the gap between them. Is it 4-1/4" - probably not.

The field is now set for a two hole target. Turn off the power, take out the jumper, replace the interrupter and turn on the power.

I can't justify $300 for a device to set my 3 traps when this $.03 piece of wire works just fine.

16. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

I second that Rogertc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
pat trap setting relay
adjust pat trap machine
how to set the right angles for a trap launcher
pat trap angle adjustments
pat trap angle set for singles

pierce pat trap angle device