1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

setting adjustable pad

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by mr.mark, Jul 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mr.mark

mr.mark Member

I have finally bit the bullet on getting a recoil reducer for my 682.

I had Ken @ Speedbump put one of his new "bump busters" on.

It has the adj. butt pad and I was wondering how is the proper way to set those? I am getting quite a bit of cheek slap from the gun and hope that there is an adjustment I can make to cure that problem. I have read about toe in and toe out, but really have no idea what ya'll are talking about.

Would someone be kind enough to help me out with a proper explanation?

Thanks in advance,

Mr. Mark

2. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

just an off the wall thought - why aren't you chatting with Ken?

3. mt

mt Member

I'll assume that you have an adjustable comb as well. What we do is to first set the pad to fit the pocket on your chest by your shoulder. you'll feel it if you shoulder the gun and push your shoulder forward. Set the pad so it fits in there comfortably with the top of the pad near the top of your shoulder. Then adjust the comb so that you are not canting the gun (twisting it) and so that you can see down the rib without bending or twisting your neck... the gun should come up to your sight plane...not you bending down to fit the gun. Further refinements / adjustments are then made while shooting. Move the comb in the direction you want the shot to go.

Hope that helps.

4. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

In addition to what was suggested above, first, adjust the pitch on the stock/pad adjuster. When the pitch is correct, the entire pad, top to bottom, will make simultaneous contact with your shoulder when mounting the gun in your normal shooting posture.

I am not familiar with Ken's new pad adjuster and do not know if it is pitch adjustable or not. Hopefully it is. Inadequate pitch was probably a leading cause of the punishment to your cheek. (The bottom toe of the recoil pad was sticking out too far.)

Rollin

5. country gentleman

country gentleman Member

All good advice. Need to get some hands on time with a fitter to see where the problem is coming from and what the remedy should be. Hard to fit yourself. When you do it yourself, often something important gets overlooked. Not a solicitation here. Just an encouragement. Todd Nelson

6. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

Mark is a little ahead of himself here....his stock is still on it's way to me for the installation...LOL!!

Ken Rucker

7. mr.mark

mr.mark Member

Hey Ken,

The stock should be there today, I figured you could walk me through the various steps of setting the gun to fit me after this busy week you are probably having. Just wanted to learn a little about the toe in and toe out, and see what the congregation here at TS.com had to say about the subject.

I look forward to getting the gun back next week and will call you when I do, I'm sure I'll have a ton of questions.

Thanks to all here at TS.com for the input.

Mr. Mark

8. country gentleman

country gentleman Member

Hey Ruck, whaddya charge for gun fit over the phone? If you could teach me how to do that we could set up together with a phone headset and fit guns while stripe fishing in Texas. Just call 1 800 get u some Whoaaa i just got a bite LOL Todd Nelson

9. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

Hey, Toddie!! It'd be a neat trick if we could do it, Huh?? ...LOL!! Sorry I missed you this spring......hows the wrist?? See you in Sparta!!!

Jim, you're very welcome!!

Ken

10. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

Gee, I wonder why I knew that Mr Mark was FOS

11. mr.mark

mr.mark Member

It has come to my attention that some of the members here are a little offended at me. I understood this to be a site by which we all can communicate for the greater good of trapshooting. I was simply trying to learn all I could about how the adjustments work so I would know how to fit the gun to myself. It appears that most believe that to be an impossible task. Sorry for stepping on your toes.

If there is anybody else who would like to add a "helpful comment" to this thread, the information would be greatly appreciated as I am just trying to learn.

No I won't get my gun back til next week, as I sent it to the state shoot with some other shooters. Poor people have poor ways. But when I get it back I plan on knowing how all the adjustments work so I can immediately begin using it.

Thanks,

Mr. Mark

12. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

Mr. Mark - You could start by stopping the lying and story telling. You could admit that the darn gun was slapping you in the head before you put it in a box and sent it to Ken. You could admit that you don't know a darn thing about fitting a gun. You should have asked some questions or gone to see a fitter before you put the gun in a box and sent it off to get modified without knowing that the modification is even necessary. Toe refers to the bottom of the pad (the part toward the ground when you are holding the gun). Toe in, if you are right handed, means the toe of the pad is turned in toward your chest. Toe in and out aare not big contributors to face slap. But live and learn....

13. mr.mark

mr.mark Member

Thanks for setting me straight. And thanks for the definition of toe in and out.

I will politely back away now and let ya'll get on to more important business here on TS.com.

Mr. Mark

14. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

Mr Mark, people like you really are amazing. You cause the crap and then act like someone else is responsible. You absolutely refuse to take responsiblility for your own actions. Nice, really nice.

15. mr.mark

mr.mark Member

Havegunwilltravel,

Let me attempt one last time here.

I wanted to learn how to adjust all the variable features commonly found on competition shotguns.

Apparently I did this the wrong way. I sincerely apologize to you and any others who were offended.

I posted asking about toe in and toe out, and whether it would affect cheek slap. As well as how to generally set up an adjustable pad for proper fit.

I was simply trying to gather info so I could adjust my stock when I get it back.

You helped me by explaining toe in and toe out.

Thank you. No further comment was needed after that comment.

These personal attacks on my character are totally uncalled for.

If you don't care for "people like me" then please don't bother reading a post if it has my name on it. I'm sure it is something you won't want to read.

Thanks to the rest of you for the helpful hints you have provided on this post and others I've posted in the past.

Havegunwilltravel, please don't read any more of my posts. I have no desire to read any more of your degrading comments directed towards me.

Mr. Mark

16. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

There is a thread here about a very interesting book. "Stock fitting secrets" told me enough to let me know that I needed a fitter to do it right. After reading the book at lease I knew what to look for when shooting. The book also has a lot of tips for shooting as well as stock fitting. http://www.stockfitting.com/ is the link to the author's website.

I downloaded the book from the site in PDF format. Nothing faster.

You can find the thread that references the book here: http://www.trapshooters.com/cfpages/thread.cfm?threadid=127280&messages=6

Several companies sell angle spacers to change the angle of the pad if your new one is not adjustable. Both Brownells.com and Midway.com carry them. Others have them as well.

Good luck.

17. mr.mark

mr.mark Member

Thanks for the help slowdp, I will look into this.

I always welcome friendly advice.

Mr. Mark

18. country gentleman

country gentleman Member

Mr. Mark, Did not mean to offend you. Just having some good natured fun with Ruck. If you were in the business full-time, youd understand. We see it all and I do mean all. I have found loaded shotshells, steel wool, rabbits feet, styrofoam, fishing sinkers, and dirty underwear stuffed inside gunstocks. Ive seen stocks butchered , bent, slung, stomped, pitched twisted and raped by people trying to fit themselves and after a while it just becomes a little funny. We all ought to remember that there are people who ask genuine questions and are looking for help on this post. I personally will try harder to remember that. Yours in shooting. Todd Nelson

19. mr.mark

mr.mark Member

Funny you should mention that, let me tell a good one on myself now.

I keep hearing about added wt. vs. dead mule vs. recoil reducer.

Of course w/o experience in any of it the choice that obviously looks the best to a rookie like me is just put a "shock absorber" between the part that touches the shooter and the gun. In other words, I was instantly drawn to the r.a.d. and had lots of fellow shooters at my club with rads on their gun and have been telling me for almost a year now that is the way to go! And they also all recommended Ken to do the work.

But I thought well I'll play around a bit. So I took a 20 gauge hull and filled it with shot and crimped it down with a little hot glue in the crimp and placed it between two springs inside the bolt hole in the stock so that it was lightly sandwiched between the two springs. I actually think it helped with the recoil just a little. I also added some homeade spacers under my recoil pad to lengthen the gun about a half inch, made these out of plexiglass.

In the end the problem seems to actually be in the fact that the stock doesn't fit me and the kickpad doesn't make smooth contact with my shoulder as I have tried other guns belonging to fellow shooters that had adjustable kickpads and this seems to help.

Luckily I though to take my homeade recoil reducer out of the stock before I sent it to you Ken, I didn't want you to laugh too hard as you were taking my gun apart!

No complaints from me Mr. Nelson, thanks for the helpful advice.

Mr. Mark

20. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

Hey, Mark....I have your stock and will send it back , completed with Don. Like Todd said, he and I were just playin' with each other a little, no harm intended. Hopefully you and I can get together in the near future so I can help with your fit issues. And for the record, Todd has me beat....I haven't found any dirty underwear.....YET!!...LOLLOLLOL!!!

Ken

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.