1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Servicing four wheel drive

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by kolared person, Jan 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kolared person

kolared person TS Member

I have been getting a service four wheeldrive light on my Dodge Dakota"s dash since 45,000 miles. They want $250.00 to do the work. What do you truck experts recommend?

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

put a piece of tape on the dash.

HM

3. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

Find out how to reset the light via google search. Then perform the maintenance yourself.

4. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

You need to give us alittle more info. Does the 4 wheel drive operate correctly? Year and engine size? Have you checked the fluid level and color of lube? Ask the dealer what the service consists of. If its a fluid change and you can do it yourself then I would recommend changing the fluid with the correct type. You are probably talking front and rear diffs, transfer case and trans. Owners manual will inform you of that. You can pm me if you need help. Don

5. 5spd

5spd TS Member

Buy an OBDIII scanner for under $100 at harbor freight plug & scan your system, then clear the light code.
    Id be willing to bet its coming on for a transfer case lube change or something to that effect. $250 to turn off a lite is WAY over priced, but they wont tell you thats all they are going to do. Do you have any problems with 4wd at this time or just the lite??

6. Citori Shooter

Citori Shooter TS Member

Hi,I had a 99 Silverado that the front pinion seal was leaking on and when the lube got low enough it would kick on the light.I just added fluid to it....If the four wheel drive still works I would just run it....At 45,000 miles is it still under warranty?You could try disconnecting the battery for a couple of minutes to reset the computer and see if the light comes back on.With winter here it's possible water/snow/ice may have shorted one of the plugs on the harness.My thoughts,regards.

7. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

No need to buy your own scanner. Many auto parts shops will let you borrow one. The Advance Auto in my area does this, and lets you use the scanner in their parking lot and all you have to do is leave your driver's license with them until you return it.

Make sure you read the instructions on how to plug it in and when to turn the car to the on position. I've heard doing it wrong will fry the computer in the scanner.

The scanner will tell you the error code. Then you have to figure out what that means.

The scanner will also have a function that will clear the code(s).

I've had to do this with a couple of my daughter's cars. Each time, I went out on the internet to a Saturn enthusiasts forum, and got help there. I'm guessing there's a similar forum for Dodge fans.

In both cases, I was able to fix the problem myself and save a hefty chunk of change.

If it is just a warning light to tell you its time to change the differential grease, I'd get a Chilton's or Haynes manual and do it myself AND USE SYNTHETIC!

I put synthetic grease in my differentials and transfer case at 50,000 miles. When I changed it at 160,000 miles, it looked like I had put it in yesterday.

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Auto Zone scans for free here. Aaaaand, the counter guys usually have a good answer for you on the results, since they see the same problems over and over.

They will not clear the code, I suppose someone tried to get them to pay for a motor or something.

So pull the positive terminal for 2 minutes and it will reset. This could be a timed service warning that has no relationship to a problem.

HM

9. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Ignition key on to acc, off, on to acc and then the codes come up where the odometer numbers usually are. Maybe it was three times I can not remember exactly. No need for a scanner. Walk into auto zone and tell them what the codes are and they will tell what is wrong. Correct problem and then disconnect battery positive. Might have to switch the igniton on and off a couple of times while the battery is disconnected. I had to do that last one on a Neon once to get a code to go away. Bill

10. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Disconnect the negative battery cable for a couple of minutes and reinstall. That will turn the light off, drive the car if the light stays off, no harm no foul should the light iluminate again then have it scanned at an auto zone or some parts store like it once you have the code you can check repair prices at service centers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.