1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Service Browning XT - How often?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bluedsteel, Jun 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

I shoot a Browning XT O/U. I really enjoy the gun, and it shoots well for me. I bought it new in January 2008. So far, I have fired at about 2400 registered targets (some were actually hit), and I have also fired around 300 additional practice shots.

So, my XT has had about 2700 rounds through it. I hope to have put about 5,000 rounds through it by the end of this trap year. My question: Should I have a gunsmith (assuming I can find a competent one) go through the gun (remove stock, lube action, inspect springs, etc) at the end of this year?

The gun works perfectly, and I clean it after every day's shooting (clean bores, wipe out breech, grease hinge pin, etc).

Thanks for any input, especially from anyone with experience with this model.

Jeff

2. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I have had my xt 2 years now, bought it used, well used. When I removed the stock I was surprised hoe clean it was. I have only cleaned the complete action assembly. I plan on remove/replace fire pins, action springs, top lever spring. All has been said easy to do with a little patience. I have a gunsmith problem where I am. nearest authorized browning repair/warranty is 2 hour drive to NH. PS went over my shooting records, what I did log down I got just under 10k through it. Not a single hick up. Regular clean/wipe after each outing. remove stock and clean internals 2 times a year.

3. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Proper wood-off cleaning and lubrication quarterly, and annual replacement of firing pins, lower firing pin spring, mainsprings, and top lever spring will keep your gun running like a top.

4. lasal

lasal TS Member

I have an XT that I bought new last year. Probably has 2000 rounds through it and I like the gun but this spring, a spring in the trigger broke. The local gunshop sent it to Browning on May 15 th and other than verifying they have received it, I still don't have it.

Fortunately, I had just bought the new Cynergy trap combo which I like better than the XT, so I can still shoot.

My recommendation would be to find a local gunsmith if you need any repair.

5. SR1

SR1 TS Member

I have a special trap made in '99 it has over 20,000 rounds through it.I take the stock off once a year and clean all the junk out and put it back together.The springs and fireing pins are the original and are still ok but this winter I am going to put all new guts in it maybe I got lucky but unless it makes you feel better with new parts just clean it and shoot it.

6. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

FWIW... My XT is just over a year old. I've put maybe 5-7K rounds through it, however, that is changing as I'm shooting considerably more now.

I'm having Jim Flynn give it the once over in Kingsburg this week - just because. I've had the experience of my other gun breaking down at the worse time possible and don't care to repeat that, ever.

There's absolutely nothing wrong (knock on wood) with my XT (other than it needs a thorough deep cleaning) and I'd like to keep it that way.

7. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

If you do not have a competent and recommended shotgun type gunsmith nearby, I will urge you to take some time and learn how your gun works. There are PDF files on the Browning web site so you can start to understand what makes the gun go bang. Take the second step of pulling off the buttstock and observe the workings of the gun when the trigger is pulled. Using a rubber mallet, tap the back of the reciever and watch how the trigger switches to the other barrel. While you have the buttstock off (and obviously the recoil pad), you will want to get some finish onto or into all that raw wood or never, ever take the gun out in the rain.

There is nothing to be gained by inspecting a spring. Either replace it or observe that it still exists. based on my ownership of a Citori Special Trap I will say that those firing pins do not wear out and there is no need to replace them as long as the gun goes bang. Hammer spring life is much longer than one year. Unless you leave the action open or just the top lever over, that spring will also last longer than one year.

Everyones shooting conditions are different and gun care is an individual thing. I believe taking them apart each winter and cleaning the reciever areas where the firing pins fit and re-lubing the moving parts is very worthwhile. Just don't go crazy with the grease. More is not better. Grease attracts and holds dirt. Greasy dirt is just like sandpaper and you don't want that.

As far as saying spring and parts replacement is an easy job, that is only true if you have done it once. And that does not make it easy, it just makes it simple. When you find it difficult to compress and remove the hammer springs, ask yourself you hard is it going to be to put them back? Maybe you should stop right there. And that top lever spring is a case of needing a screwdriver that really fits the slot and you will not get a screwdriver like that from Home Depot. I am only saying to tackle the job with your eyes open.

8. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

Frankly, I am a bit surprised at how often it's been recommended to remove the stock, etc. In my 40+ years of shooting shotguns, mostly hunting, I have never removed the buttstock from a double gun. And, I have never had one malfunction. Then again, none of my hunting guns were ever fired as much as this XT has already been fired.

I have known of cases where buttstocks cracked or chipped when they were removed from receivers, so I am hesitant. I bought the gun at Gander Mtn, and their gunsmith there seems to be fairly well thought of, so I might let him tackle the cleaning/replacement job at the end of the year.

Gary, I couldn't find the PDF files you were referring to on the Browning site...do you have a link?

For what it's worth, I always release the hammers after shooting (on snap caps) as well as the tension on the top lever.

Thanks for the info.

Jeff

9. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

The browning site changed since the last time I visited but the parts catalog seems to be available. I agree with letting the top lever go back but will say that I don't think the "extra" compression on the hammer springs makes a measurable difference on the life of those springs. Those springs are under compression when at rest. You will understand once you actually take one out and put it back.

10. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

The Browning Citori based guns are not complicated to service and rarely break i would however obtain the folowing parts, top and bottom firing pins, Hammer springs and top lever return springs. You should be able to find some one local who can service the gun if not someone at the club who would be willing to help. Gary is right about the hammer spring and compression I learned the hard way and on a much more expensive gun. With those few parts you should be prepaired for anything. Good luck propery cared for your gun will give years and years of reliable service. If you have any problems Call Arts gun shop in MO atr is tops with brownings. Joe goldberg

11. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

Gary;

I downloaded the pdf file at your link. Thanks.

I consider myself pretty decent at mechanical work...at least I generally don't make something worse. I'll get up the nerve to take the stock off later in the year. The gun actually came supplied with the large hex key for that purpose.

Joe, good idea on the parts to have on hand. I'll order them soon.

Thanks again.

Jef

12. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

As a gunsmith, sometimes I forget not everybody can work on their gun.

The Browning Citori series is a pretty faithful copy of John Browning's elegant and simple design from the 1920's. After designing so many military arms, he wanted to build a gun that was simply delightful to shoot. He succeeded!

I bought an ANIB Signature GTI that had set in a box for many years (1991 model) with hammer springs cocked and top lever to the right.

It needed springs. I have serviced so many of these guns, I do not think anything about it.

As far as inspecting parts, if I finally do get one of these beauties to service, since the parts are out of the gun, I replace firing pins, lower firing pin spring, mainsprings and top lever spring. Many of our shooters reload, and use primers with steel cups, or those which pierce and erode firing pins.

These parts are cheap. I now charge $75 to thoroughly clean and lube the arm, replace the aforementioned parts, wax and seal the stock, clean its case if it has one, and clean any extra choke tubes.

I guess some 'smiths charge more, but I do not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.