1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Serious Reloader ? (froth & bubble is unwelcome)

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by goatskin, May 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

What is it about reloaders that make people act as if their religion is under attack, or asking to borrow their 6yr-old daughter for a sex party or are going to castrate their prize bulldog?

Even k-gun/p-gun people don't get this frothy-bubbly.

Or .. is it still secretly Winter and shooting season has not started?

I can see the MEC crowd being a little insecure - as much time and effort as they have put into becoming one with their machine, that is understandable - but all the rest? Esp in 12ga, they are boring-predictable as they turn out perfect shells, with the occasional malshapened turd being recalled for it's rarity.

Bob

2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

It never ceases to amaze me why a shooter will think nothing of buying a spare trigger assembly for his trapgun at $1000+ ...but...will go out and buy the cheapest loader that will produce reloads!

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

That's really funny. Yep, I have several friends who bought 1000 dollar triggers.

They keep them in the glove box of their Maserati.

Get a life.

Used 870: 300.00
    Mec JR(used)60.00

Closer to reality for many.

HM

4. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

And??? It's part of human nature. Everyone thinks that the loader they use is the ONLY loader to use, and it's better than anything you use. Unless it's a Spolar of course, I think pretty much everyone agrees that they are the best loader out there. I simply dislike MEC because I used them for 5 years and thought they were a perfect example of what happens to quality when you're going for quantity. They are stamped junk...So I'll stick to my PW and I hold nothing against anyone that uses a MEC. My 2 cents. Josh

5. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

Stamped junk, HA,that's funny. Isn't that what they said about 870's???????

I had the "best", sold it and went back to the "stamped junk" and never looked back. I must be a little insecure because I shoot a 391 with a home made stock and who knows, maybe someday I'll learn to shoot and reload too.....GOOD LUCK

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

And some of them pay $1000 for a trigger that is non adjustable, amazing. HMB

7. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I have 8 mec's and a Hornady and have never felt they were the best but the best for the money. I have a progressive for every day loading and a jr for special loads. I have had opportunity to use about every kind of loader there is and still like my mec's. Part of it is the cost as I have no intention of spending $5000.00 to replace them because someone else thinks another brand is the cat's meow. I have seen bloopers from all types of reloaders, some more than others, of course there are a lot more mec's than Spolar's. Jackie B.

8. Gross Man

Gross Man Member

Dr. Freud might explain ones attachment to their reloader in sexual terms.

9. drh08

drh08 TS Member

A MEC makes a good shell, just like the others. Lets face it, primer, powder, wad, shot and close it, is pretty simple. MEC's fit a price point and honestly for the money they are a decent loader ( after the price increase I would question this however). That being said, they are also like a dodge dakota with a 6 cylinder. Very easy to work on and you will be doing that a lot.

I have one, probably 7000 rounds through it, but wouldn't purchase another one, I just don't enjoy tweaking it all the time. Maybe I do because you can and I keep thinking a little mod here and it will be perfect or something. No one is bashing MECS, they do have weak points like most things, but a few more that other more expensive reloaders.

Like they say, get the correct tool for the job. 9000 are probably the first progressive people purchase because of the price, However my shooting is down to about 3-4 flats a year and I don't even use it anymore. If I sold it and got into shooting again at somepoint, it would purchase something different.

10. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

Looks like fishin' is good after a long winter, eh?

11. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

All gages considered I have 3 PW's, 5 mec's, 1 RCBS Grand, I once had a Lee LoadAll (Made BEAUTIFUL roll crimps and I wish I still had it just for kicks).
    I have NEVER missed a single target because of the loader the shell was loaded on.
    Get a life people--they all do a good job when properly used.

12. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

"Froth and Bubble". Kinda like the "Texas two-step" around a cow pie.

13. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I must have an exception to the rule - after getting it dialed in when I first started using it, the only thing I adjust on my 9000GN (aside from bar and bushing changes) is the wad seating depth when I switch between 1.0 and 1.125-ounce loads. And if I wasn't fussy about the appearance of my crimps, I wouldn't have to do that. Otherwise, I never touch it.

And like Shady, I've tried some of the "best" and always went back to a MEC. When the Auto-Mate II came out, I bought another one but this time, I'm not buying another "better" loader.

Ed

14. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

Goatskin,

The answer to your question is "cognitive dissonance". Look it up. It explains a bit about human nature and the "Chevy vs. Ford" debate as well. My best friend has a fatal case of cognitive dissonance and I must tread lightly about discussing many subjects so as not to get into an endless (and pointless) argument.

HBT

15. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

MIA: <i>"Froth and Bubble". Kinda like the "Texas two-step" around a cow pie. </i>

aaaannnnddd Jack is not interested.

OTM: What is an old jarhead doing hanging around 'dissonate cogni-sassy' anyhow? What a good, parsimonious explanation, tho ... MEC is the Saturn or KIA, and the others are various full-size rear-wheel drive sedans, or half-ton pic-um-up trucks.

Jim: Are you getting Lee LoadER (the 5-pc chromed set) and Load-ALL confused? But yes, Lee Loaders make perfectly perfect crimps of any kind, including roll. I use several of them regularly.

Bob

16. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I'm helping the economy. purchased 10 mec 600's and hired 10 immigrant laborers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.