1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Serious Question About The Grand American

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Mapper, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Mapper

Mapper Member

A couple of thoughts. 1 As you said, ATA doesn't own the land. 2 Only part year customers and 3 ATA is a non-profit. There might be a hang up there.

2. Gary Beer

Gary Beer Member

If the State of Illinois is in financial trouble and wants to unload the Sparta complex, why doesnt the ATA buy it??? Then we have home grounds and the ATA offices are there in Sparta already. HoF building is built on our property???

3. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

6 million dollars to make a 500 bed hotel? Have you been smoking crack cocaine?Jeff

4. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

TSaa27aa I have one, hoping you will take this kindly, word for you. Paragraphs.

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I think the 501 status would interfer with this.

But, remember, Disneyland was built in an orange orchard on wishful dreaming.

If the facilities are built people will come!

6. RLC323

RLC323 Member

I believe we could help attendance almost immediately by putting in more full hook-up RV spots. If you notice the full-hook-up spots are almost all used. Electric only is very unpopular with families and way too expensive for what you get. After a couple years in electric only people either move up to full-hookup if they can, or quit coming. I believe there is a lot of quit coming going on.

At any rate all the camping fees are too high, over 30 bucks a day may work for campgrounds along the interstate, but we need to make it more reasonable and livable to draw in the crowd to the event. If I am camping there I am shooting and spending money, I've paid almost $4 a gallon to drag my camper there. Why charge me an arm and a leg to stay?

7. sptnclays

sptnclays Member

Never being to Sparta. I have heard hotels are 30 min away? Don't see why that's a big deal.
    Buying the property and esp getting nssa on board would garuntee more utilization.
    Maybe the Grand can be moved later in the year when it's cooler.

8. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Purchase would be the best option if it comes to that.

Hopefully, the ATA would have the first option to buy.

The worst senario would be the politicians that would sell to some speculator that would run up the lease price and put it out of reach of the intended purpose.

Regards....Gerald

9. FRO

FRO Member

I sure hope the 12 million number is right, the ATA will need it before to long.What are we going to do when Shicago and Crook county bankrupts the state?

10. John55

John55 Active Member

Unless I'm mistaken, the IDNR controls the camping facilities and the rates they charge, don't think the ATA has anything to do with that.

11. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

John,

The IDNR controls the camping for everything except the Grand. The ATA handles the Grand camping. I'm not sure how all that works out.

12. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

I am still trying to picture a 500 room hotel in Sparta!

13. 7mag

7mag Well-Known Member

Sounds good. When they built this whole complex wasn't they trying to get the nssa,nsca, sass world championships moved there? I had heard and can't confirm but they were trying to have archery and tactical shooting there also. I'm assuming that they were from the world shooting complex murrells. It would be great if the Ata could purchase this facility. Then the Ata & the Grand could for sure have a permanent home.

14. bigben

bigben Active Member

Chis,i it pains me to see what has happened to ata traphooting, I dont't care where, but you must a moron not to realize that the largest group of ata shooters are located in Ohio,Pa.,Michigan, NJ etc the eastern USA of USA,, as they say build it and they will come is BS.! This will not happen, economy rules it false! Disney projected the numbers, the Asians from the outer world made Disney, not so with the Sparta mistake! . incinerate em!

15. John55

John55 Active Member

Coyote,
    While I am certainly NOT proud of my state's fiscal troubles or it's Chicago based anti-gun views, have you took a look at California lately? They have every bit as much state debt as IL does, and are way worse on gun laws. As is NY, NJ and now even CO. We might bad but we aren't that bad!

16. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

The only bashing I see is in the OP. Everything else is just speaking the truth.

17. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Location Location Location

Ok coyote, why don't you clue us in to what happened to Vandalia after it was built in the middle of nowhere and then the city grew up around it?? Where is that club now? Huh? Oh that's right, it was squeezed out as the ground was needed for something else. But smart guys like some on here would rather not learn from that mistake.

Take a look across the country at all the clubs that have been closed do to their location in relevance to housing etc.

18. ChetH

ChetH Member

I find the availability of hotel rooms to be an impediment to my attendance. I am not sure if the ATA is in a position to actually do anything, but it is an interesting idea. I did a little googling and came up with the info about construction costs at the above link.

chet

19. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Matt, the Grand in Vandalia was a cornfield over 90 years ago. Do you really believe the Sparta Grand will be around and look like Vandalia in another 90 years??

20. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

Something I've never been able to understand............why are those who have never fired a shot there nor ever plan to, the ones so worried about the GRAND @ Sparta? Don't worry it will be there for a long, long time, maybe your grandchildren will get to try it out & tell you all about it.