1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Serious Handicap loads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dove Commander, Nov 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Last spring I bought a Seitz Titanium 35", .035 choke. I've tried 20.7 gr Super Handicap load, 20.5 gr Green dot and a Windjammer, and 20 gr Green dot with the Win AA wad, all with some success. One of my best scores was with the 3 dram Rem. new factory loads. I like to stay at or around 1200fps. The Seitz is very tightly choked and throws a great pattern. I shoot fairly quick (27 yard). Is there a great reload out there for long yardage in a tight gun? A reload I should try? And yes, I've shot both 7 1/2's and 8's, and prefer 8's in hot weather over 70 degrees unless very windy. Also tired of politics and bailouts. Want to talk about shooting again, and reload some of my expensive shot for next summer.

2. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Dove Commander,

Try this one:

Remington Hull

18.0 grains of Hodgdons Titegroup powder

Remington TGT-12 wad or Downrange replacement

1 1/8 oz of your favorite shot

Winchester 209 primer.

This load will clock in aroung 1235 FPS and is a very soft shooting load. Titegroup doesn't seem to be very temperature sensative, so it works well year round.

I've been loading this round for 3 years now and it has never failed me, when I'm doing my part, from the 25 yd line on back.

ec90t

3. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I have had great luck with both Grren Dot and Unique in tightly choked guns.

I prefer Unique in my HCP load, but a lot of folks have been using Green Dot for many years.

4. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Last spring I bought a Seitz Titanium 35", .035 choke. I've tried 20.7 gr Super Handicap load, 20.5 gr Green dot and a Windjammer, and 20 gr Green dot with the Win AA wad, all with some success. One of my best scores was with the 3 dram Rem. new factory loads. I like to stay at or around 1200fps. The Seitz is very tightly choked and throws a great pattern. I shoot fairly quick (27 yard). Is there a great reload out there for long yardage in a tight gun? A reload I should try? And yes, I've shot both 7 1/2's and 8's, and prefer 8's in hot weather over 70 degrees unless very windy. Also tired of politics and bailouts. Want to talk about shooting again, and reload some of my expensive shot for next summer.

5. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Dove Commander,

Try this one:

Remington Hull

18.0 grains of Hodgdons Titegroup powder

Remington TGT-12 wad or Downrange replacement

1 1/8 oz of your favorite shot

Winchester 209 primer.

This load will clock in aroung 1235 FPS and is a very soft shooting load. Titegroup doesn't seem to be very temperature sensative, so it works well year round.

I've been loading this round for 3 years now and it has never failed me, when I'm doing my part, from the 25 yd line on back.

ec90t

6. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I have had great luck with both Grren Dot and Unique in tightly choked guns.

I prefer Unique in my HCP load, but a lot of folks have been using Green Dot for many years.

7. Frenchy

Frenchy Member

The late Don Zutz did a real good and throw series on this for shotgun sports magazine,maybe if you contact them they can give you a copy of it.It covered loads for 16 yards,handicap,and doubles,as I recall he said that green dot gave the best patterns for handicap. He was up a few more grains than you are.Good luck and good shooting !!

8. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Strongly consider the load ec90t stated above. It is almost the same as what I use (I back down on the powder just a tad, 17.7 to 17.9.)

Mine chronograph at about 1200 fps.

Very nice load.

9. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Through several guns I have had my best performance with Green Dot in GM plastic cases. By_the_way, I actually pattern my guns too...

10. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

pheasantmaster, I pattern my guns too. The Seitz @.035 patterns tighter than all my other guns @.035. Last year I shot my average @ 27 in a long time, but I laid off and shot reg sporting for 3 years. Maybe I just concentrated more. I've been shooting Green dot in STS hulls with a windjammer and AA primer. Sounds odd to some , but a good load. ec90t's load has been mentioned a lot too for 27 yard. It's time for me to pick a load and stay with it. Learn to shoot it, and have confidence in it. Trying to keep it simple. Sometimes I think this gun is too tight, but it didn't hurt my single's average. Makes me think about it that split second before I trip the trigger on 16's. I have my own pattern board, and keep records of POI's when I shoot a good score. So far, Green dot and Tite Group are on my list to try. Maybe PB and Universal.

11. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Dove, sounds to me like you are on the right track with the statement "It's time for me to pick a load and stay with it." One of the best pieces of advice I received early on is "trust your gun, trust your load!" Sometimes we get caught up in experimentation. Nothing wrong with that, for some it is a hobby just as much as shooting. I truly believe that what shoots well out of my gun may not be the recipe for your's so stay with the pattern board, but be satisfied with good enough and shoot with confidence.

Robert

12. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Dove Commander , what PE average do you get with the Seitz at 40yds?

13. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Jerry, What diameter? 30" at 40 yards? Believe it or not, I can tell at 28 yards. I shoot all my guns on the plate at 28 yards and measure the diameter and count pellets out side 22" diameter. I keep the POI's on a computer chart for comparison and reference just incase a post come loose or a particulair reload shows something interesting. All my guns have adjustible combs, so I like to keep track of shims and such at long yardage. The Seitz is the only one that holds em all in 22". I have a MX8, K-80, SuperX-1, 1100,. The Seitz and 1100 are the only fixed choke guns. The 1100 is an old original tight shooter, but the Seitz tops it. Despite the diff in triggers, Seitz vs 1100 vs Sup x-1, I've seen no diff at short yardage, but long yardage....well, lets say that's still up in the air. I swear I can get away with murder @ the 27 with Seitz, but it's also a light, fluid gun with a soft touch.

14. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

MIA, I don't know. Never weighed it. I had a standard Seitz with Stock Lock prior to trading for the titanium/soft touch. I couldn't believe the weight difference. Probably 1.5 pounds or more, maybe 2 pounds lighter. The Stock Lock has some weight. I noticed it, and thought the old gun was "stock heavy".
    When I picked up the 35" / Soft touch/ Titanium....It was a no brainer to me.
    Had a 98.66 ave. on 16's and 92.25 ave. @ 27 this year. I shoot a MX2000 adjustible rib w/ a PFS on a MX8 frame on doubles. I added a 4 oz forearm weight to the Seitz, as it felt a bit barrel light. Thought it balanced it out a little better. Tried an 8 oz, didn't like it. Richie helped me with it at the Ohio State Shoot. What a great guy. Service, Service, Service.

15. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Sorry MIA, the old gun with the stock lock was 11.5 pounds.

16. phirel

phirel TS Member

I have never found another powder as good as Green Dot for my handicap loads.

Pat Ireland

17. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Don't mean to interrupt, but I have the exact same set up that Dove Commander had in his old gun except mine has the titanium receiver. Mine weighs 10 # and 2 ozs. As you can see, the titanium receiver takes out more than 1 pound of weight! Tom Rhoads

18. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Green Dot is the way to go. Go up to 21-21.5 grains and you'll get the speed for the 27 you want. Best patterns I've ever shot. You could go to PB. But, the cost is a lot more for nil gains in the pattern. I've been trying the Fio 616 primer and it's working great at a reduced cost. It' seems to be a little less hotter than the WW or Cheddite I've been using. I also use the WW wad and both STS and AA hulls.

19. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Rem hulls, 21 Green Dot, Downrange Versalite wad, Wolf or Cheddite primer, 7 1/2 STS, West Coast or Lawrence shot. You can substitute 23 gr Unique, or 25 gr WSF as well. I truly believe it's the wad and the shot!

AndyH

20. Vince McNamara

Vince McNamara Member

Dove Commander

You might want to try WSH at less than the max load listed (20.7 gr). I have been loading 20.3 gr WSH in an AA or STS hull, AA type wad, using winchester primers. It is extremely fast and there is less felt recoil than the max load (20.7 gr). Load some and compare the loads to AA Super Hdcp or Rem Nitros. You will be suprised. I have shot a lot of good scores this past year with this load and some bad ones also. One of my friends at Kingsburg is shooting 19.9 gr WSH and it breaks the targets extremely well with less felt recoil.

Vince McNamara

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best trap handicap reload

reloads with super handicap in federal paper