1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Serial Numbers...Big deal????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by PhillyD, Feb 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhillyD

PhillyD Member

Can someone tell me why there is such a big deal about "Do the serial numbers match" when a gun is for sale on this site. If the numbers match, does that make the shooter or the gun shoot better? In a theater where barrels, mono blocks,recoil pads,wood,ect are traded and sold like stock market stocks, why is it so important that numbers match? If my memory is correct (I'm an old guy)both Perazzi and Kreighoff at one time sold combo guns with numbers that didn't match. Correct me if I'm wrong.

If someone can break great scores with a gun without matching numbers doe's it really matter what the numbers are.I can break GREAT scores with the gun, but I don't want it because the numbers don't match Doe's it make any sence? Doe's it make the gun less valuable. If so .Why?
    I'am not talking about collectable guns here.I'm talking Trapguns.

I say, "give me a gun that I can break 100"s with, and I don't care what numbers are on it..................What say you?

2. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Krieghoff no longer stamps SRs on their bbls unless you order the gun with the #s on the bbl---The receiver does have the SR #s tho----I have 2 K-guns with no SR # on the bbls----Gun still shoots the same----"FORGET ABOUT IT"----
    George@SJB

3. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I am a function first, appearance second, "collectable" data last kind of guy. I have seen people turn down a good purchase because it didn't have the factory box. Not my style. I am a user of my material goods, no apology.

4. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Matching serial #s guarantee the barrels and action/forend iron were properly fitted to one another at the factory. Other than that, without documentation, there's no way to tell if someone fit the barrels themselves and most likely did it wrong, which will cause excessive wear or damage to the barrels or action.

As long as everything fits and functions properly, it is a non-issue. However, it doesn't require any extra investigation or leg work to prove this if all the numbers match.

5. billd3

billd3 TS Member

It's also a way to check the age of the gun. By reaseaching the SR you can verify the date of manufacture.

6. drgondog

drgondog Member

Skeetman has the right answer. Not everybody can fit a different set of barrels to receiver and forearm latch. Gicomo was trusted as well as Lucio - then the list thins out dramatically for Perazzi. Jim White comes to mind and he would know.

7. dale58

dale58 Well-Known Member

I'm with skeet man. Fitting is required on receivers, barrels and forearm iron on break open guns. Dale

8. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Perazzi barrels has ser. #s because Italian gov. required such.

All barrels are treated as firearms. There can't be duplicated barrel numbers since early '70s by law. So all combos will have different numbers, usually consecutive.

Perazzi put see. # on forend iron and trigger as tradition because in the old days, all guns were hand fitted. And they only made them in relatively small quantity. A little more than a hand full of guns per day.

9. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

If you buy a new Perazzi combo, the first barrel, receiver, trigger, forearm and even the wood (including the adjustable comb) will be serialized to eachother. The second barrel (in the case of american trap guns, the O/U) will be one number higher. Again, this would just represent verification that these parts were fit together at the factory.

10. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Many dealers will "discount" the gun on a trade or straight buy when you're the guy with non-matching serial numbers.

I have 2 Perazzi combos and the only thing that matches is my head and the stock. Non-matching serial #'s....no problem for me.

11. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

If you buy a TM-1 Perazzi and the trigger ser# matches the reciever, Bbl,and wood it is all original and worth more.

Elmer Fairchild had mmany mis matched swapped parts on guns, and he would say at times all the numbers match on this gun.

A K-80 with serial number lower than 23,XXX did not necessarily have all the upgrades, I would never buy a K-80 under 23,XXX that is my personal preference
    as there are at least 3 different hammers possibly 4.

The newer ser #s like 04-xxx was a 2004 built gun 05-xxx was a 2005

I am trying to buy back my TM-1 I had 20 years ago, hope I get it. It has been riding around in a trunk for years, got a lot of miles on it.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

12. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Matching serial numbers on a trapgun is like matching serial numbers on a Corvette, The engine and chassis are the ones it came from the factory with.

I like my Perazzi's to have original Trigger assy, Bbl, to match reciever.

CG Trapguns original single Bbl Match the recievers but the O?U Bbls do not in some cases, but not all, my first combo all matched the later ones did not as Bbls were fitted in Maryland Facility by their gun smiths.

Most Beretta combos ser# match, I said most.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

13. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

To end the conversation about K-80s---Call Ottsville and ask why they don't put a SR# on the barrels----I had two with no SR# but they would # it if I choose to---It is not unusual to swap or change bbls on K-guns and #s won't change value unless it is for a collector----There are much more shooters than collectors so ---"FORGET ABOUT IT"-----OH---If anybody has a mix-matched K-80 in good shooting shape,for cheap---Send me a PM-----Thanks----
    George@SJB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

gun serial number big deal