1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Serial number on an older 870 barrel

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by benniesdad, Feb 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. benniesdad

benniesdad TS Member

I just picked up an older 870 Wingmaster Magnum. The barrel dates it to 1972. The barrel itself is a 3” magnum barrel with vent rib. It has what appears to be a serial number on it. The number is 5 51xxx. Does anyone know what this number means because I have never seen a number like this on a Remington barrel before?

BTW – the barrel also has target beads on it and the bore measures .745 with 38 thousands of choke.

2. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

I have an 1100 barrel that has almost the exact dimensions as yours. It came with an 1100 Trap model that was a demo gun from the Remington tent at the 1971 Spring Grand in Phoenix. It too has the serial number from the gun stamped into it. According to the reps from Remington there it was an evaluation gun from the Remington testing shop. Jimmy Borum

3. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Does the bbl.# match the receiver#?? Most early 870s were matched,(I have 2 like this) the later ones do not have serial #s on the bbl. if they do match I think you may have an early 50s gun & not a 70s era, if not then perhaps an early bbl. on a later receiver. Anyway if that bbl. does have a serial# on it you have a very good bbl. Ross Puls

4. benniesdad

benniesdad TS Member

Jimmy - you might have pointed me in the right direction on this mystery barrel, especially since it has target type beads on it which doesn't match up with any field barrel I have ever seen from that time period. The serial number does not match the receiver and the stamped number doesn't match the other markings. I may post something on the Remington society board and see if they could confirm it.

5. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

Another point I should have mentioned. The serial number on my barrel was kind of strange to me. It started with MM followed by numbers. That might mean something to our Remington experts. I know I shot a lot of good scores with it. Jimmy Borum

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.