1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Septic experts I need advice..............

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ks5shooter, Nov 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ks5shooter

ks5shooter Member

Word is thet NJ is going to change laws about rebuilding septic systems soon.The new law will require an engineering inspection and recomendation from said engineer as to what to do for your septic.This could go as far as to recomend sand mound system etc.This sounds expensive and paperwork could be a disaster.I currently have a 28 yr old system.Ive obtained permits and approvel for 3 new 60 fooot laterels and a new distrabution box.Received a price of $2275 complete from an aquaintence of mine,me helping with some of the labor.Is this a good deal?Should I do it now or will the system last?thanks Don

2. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

You cant predict the future- so dont try to figure that out

1. They wont require people to change what they have

2. They "might" require an upgrade upon change of title- but that would anger a lot of people so I dont think that will happen

3. You dont know what the standard will be when you sell your house

4. New systems can cost - 25 K to 50K depending on where you are and how large of a sytem

5. If you have the permit- I would do your upgrade now

6. I would have your tank pumped and install (if you dont have it already) an easy access pipe for future pumping out

regards from Iowa

Gene

3. sammyd95

sammyd95 TS Member

Here in Ohio in my county we have to put in a mound system or a wetlands system,either of which is upwords of 10 grand to have installed.

4. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

I just installed a new system also here in northern MN. I could still go with a drain-field system. $4100 installed. We have sand. In fact, the new well we also had installed has sand all the way to 60ft.

The original system had to be inspected if...there was a change of title, or if any improvements, ie.. building permits were to be issued. I'm putting up a 30x40 building.

The system failed because...1)the baffle from the holding tank to the drainfield was broken, for who knows how long, and 2)The tank hadn't been pump for probably 15yrs. My bride had purchased the house "as is" in the early 90's, and I moved in two yrs ago. When I had the tank pump two yrs ago, it was like clay, and it took the pumper a few hours to backwash it to loosen it enough to pump. At that time, I was not there to check the baffle before it all got covered back up.

I decided to go with the newer "chamber" system for the drainfield. The drench doesn't need to be as deep (only 3ft)and also does not require rock. The chamber system cannot plug up with hair or other non bio waste, and provides a much larger bio mass area.

Here's is a sample of the chamber system....

http://www.infiltratorsystems.com/productline/quick4_infiltrator.asp

I'd like to also add that the new tank is a two chamber tank with a washable filter (big brush) installed in the drainfild baffle. It's added protection to trap hair and lint. What I've read is washing machine lint is the number one killer of drainfields. Put a filter on your washer, as I did. You will be surprised!!

Doug

5. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Here in my part of Ohio, Fairfield County, they went back to the old way of installing systems as they did not work and in some cases of pump failure sewage backed up in the buildings, and cost around here was $25,000 up

Buying land I had engineeres office do soil and percolating for septic system before purchasing land that could be developed.

The land behind my property must have a mound system, the poor guy, a young man and his wife, now have property and they cannot afford the septic system, two acres in a wetland, property is actually useless.

They have found that a mound systems around here were only good for 10 years, a good septic man can build a septic field that will work if only the counties would stay the hell out of a business they know nothing about. Our septic person is a lady without and formal training and has cost the county several lawsuits they have lost pertaining to her plans.

She should have stayed in the food inspection where she was at before.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

6. wm rike

wm rike Member

What GB7 said, point by point.

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

In the area of VA where I live, five years ago I allowed for a cost of $3,000 to put in a septic field. Today I allow $15,000 and that is sometimes too low. A tank, distribution box and a few lines seems to be a thing of the past.

I would advise to do anything needed to your septic system today. It will be more expensive to do it tomorrow.

Pat Ireland

8. whiz-bang

whiz-bang Active Member

ks5shooter I would go a head and install the three laterals now. Not knowing permit fees and rock prices in your area 2275.00 doesn't sound out of line. Since your support area has been approved I am assuming you have a 3 foot seperation from the bottom of your trench of suitable soils. This is Important. I would recommend using a drop box for each line instead of a distribution box. That way the three new lines are separate. Since your old system is falling ask your installer about plugging off part of your old system at the drop box. After about a 2-3 year rest those lines should come back.

If you don't have the area to use a rock system or rock isn't available go to a infiltrator system.

The only reason more mounds are being used is the fact some support areas don't have the required permeable soils to restricted soils. About 3-4 feet depending on state guide lines.

I am a certified and licensed by the MPCA in Minnesota for on site septic system installation.

9. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

Here in Pa sand mounds can cost up to 20k and understand most laws are handed down from state levels on septic and locals are the one's who must enforce them even if they don't make sense.If you can do repair now-do it,rule changes are not going to make it easier down the road-it always get worse.

10. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

It cost me $11,000 back in 1987 for and above ground system in
    Pa. and they say the systems are only good for 20 years.

11. WarEagle2017

WarEagle2017 Active Member

Boy you came to the right place, these guys here really Know ther CHIT

12. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

One very important point...Remember shiat runs down hill!!

13. BLACKDOG

BLACKDOG TS Member

DO NOT SWALLOW

14. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

And theres nothing lower then whale s*it.

15. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Just think. My neighbor hasn't pumped his system in 35 years. The neighbor next door had his fail in 8 years. What can I expect!!

16. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

NJ is a state unto itself--do yourself a big favor a check with your local sub code official---the official is the person whose opinion counts in the long run---what works in other places may not work in NJ---I voted with my feet in 95 & sold my business--good luck---NJ is an environmental nightmare state

Lou

17. comp 1

comp 1 Well-Known Member

Nobody has mentioned individual packaged sewage treatment plants--they work well if a little maintenance is performed on the blowers and the timers are set right. Usually you have to have access to a creek that flows year round to discharge the treated waste into and they are usually regulated by the state's water quality division and permits are required. Septic systems usually fail because after many years the ground under the lateral fields becomes matted off and therefore impermeable. Adding new lateral lines will work if you have the room and some states allow a reduction in the amount of field tile if you use the infiltrator type leaching chambers. I personally would try to go with a treatment plant---I can't believe some of the prices quoted for a simple tile and gravel field--a lot of treatment plants can be had for far less IF your state allows their use.

18. M-16

M-16 TS Member

How long they last depends a lot on what you put down them. Harsh soaps food scraps grease ect.also a system my still seem like it's working but the leach beds are filling up and when it stops it's to late. If you can do a fix to a system today tomarrow may be a complete new style system$$$. We have redone some systems to make it as landscaping added less then $1000 worth of shrubs and hills and installed a new leach bed. Saved from a $and Mound$$

19. phirel

phirel TS Member

M-16 is correct. A garbage disposal is not a good device to have with a septic system. I have seen 40 year old systems that have had no maintenance working very well and I have seen 4 year old systems fail.

I have also seen a sewage line connect directly to an underground cave and I have seen sewage lines that dump directly into a river. Both of these systems functioned as designed for over 100 years. The banks decided not to loan money on these homes.

Pat Ireland

20. IMR 7625

IMR 7625 Member

MY SEPTIC IS 40 YEARS OLD NEVER BEEN PUMPED TOOK CARE

OF IT LIKE MY GRANDFATHER TOLD ME TOO PUT YEAST IN IT

TWO TIMES A YEAR

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.