1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Separating shot from media

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GBatch_25, Oct 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

A few of us got hold of some recycled shot which was cleaned but isn't really clean enough to use in our reloaders. It's rough to the touch and jams up the shot drop, causing spills etc. One of our guys is thinking he could clean the shot in a tumbler with some walnut shell or corn cob media (same as is done for brass). The question is "How would he separate the shot from the media?"

Any ideas welcome. Except smart alecs...........................

Thanks

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

2. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I hear putting some steel ball bearings in with tumbled shot rounds them up a bit?????

3. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

I have a plastic cement mixer that I have slowed down, run the shot with graphite then put in a shallow pan and blow with compressed air, the lighter trash will blow out and the heaver shot will stay in the pan.

rolling the shot seems to return it to a more round shape.

tony

4. Tdog

Tdog TS Member

make your own fanning mill by setting up a fan to blow the lighter (less dense) material away from the lead shot as you pour the dirty lead from one bucket to another. Thats how I seperate the powder from the shot when I screw up and mix the two. Probably want to do it outside as it makes a mess.

5. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Find someone that does some gold prspecting and if they have one of those small sluice boxes borrow it and clean your shot.I have not tried it but it might work. Bill

6. psfive

psfive Member

Under my loader I use two flat boxes (2" tall). The top box has regular window screen in it as a bottom. The bottom one has a solid bottom. Thru a hole in my bench I brush all my spills. The shot stays on the screen the powder goes thru to the solid bottom. My boxes are only 10" square, on a larger scale something like this may work for you. Paul

7. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Thx guys. Appreciate the suggestions.
    Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

8. Almcvey

Almcvey Member

I have loaded a considerable amount of reclaimed shot. Even when it looks clean it is not. I poor 25# in a 5 gal. bucket with about 6" of hot water and some detergent. Stir it with something and rinse, pour out on a screen box like above. After dry put some graphite on it...You won't believe how much dirt is in the bottom of the bucket.... No more reloading problems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.