1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Separating Powder and Shot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jim Porter, Apr 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

Ok I screw up occasionally--sometimes more than occasionally! For years I have tried to separate shot and powder when they become mixed for what ever reason. Fans. Pick it out, throw it out, cuss it out, everything. A few days ago I poured powder into the shot hopper of one of my loaders and came up with a good simple fix. I dumped the loader contents into a bowl.I then cut a piece of screen wire about the size of the funnel I use to pour shot and powder into the loaders. The funnel is about 8" across the top. I dumped the shot and powder into the funnel and then held the funnel over a container and shook it. All the powder came out and the shot stayed in the funnel. Works great!

2. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I have this old disk of sheet steel that has hundreds of tiny holes in it, and a lip around the edge. It was once part of a lamp and was used to shadow the light produced. I added a handle from an old cooking tool and vua-la, instant shot/powder, shot/buffer separator.

3. TNCoach

TNCoach Member

I found a wire sink strainer for a couple of bucks at Lowes with a half-spherical indentation. Works Great!

TNCoach

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

If it's not a large amount of powder, and I confess having to do this once, drizzle the mix from one container to a large can or bowl through a stream of air from a fan. If you get the spacing just right the fan will blow the powder away while the shot drops into the can/bowl. Repeat again to be sure you've got it done well. If it's mostly powder, you'd end up with a lot of powder to sweep up and that's not such a good thing. This could be done, however, so that the powder just goes to the tomatoes or lawn......breakemall....Bob Dodd

5. blkfin

blkfin Member

One of my buddies tried a cooking sifter and said it works great. hope I don,t have to find out. Mike K.

6. Edwin D

Edwin D Member

I load it and shoot!

7. Edwin D

Edwin D Member

load it and shoot!

8. Edwin D

Edwin D Member

load it and shoot!

9. smoking357

smoking357 TS Member

Strainer.

10. otnot

otnot Active Member

I just pour it all onto a cookie sheet and burn the powder which just leaves the shot.

11. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

Cookie sheet.

Elevate one end 1" and pour the powder/shot misture onto the high end.

Shot rolls down to the low end leaving the powder behind.

If you really wanna get fancy, cut one of the corners out of the low end and the shot can be coached through the hole and into any appropriate container.

12. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

redhawk44,

While I won't reveal where, when, nor how I came by this info, I do wonder how you might have adapted this very effective method of separating seeds from cannabis into a reloading process.

The only aspect not mentioned, perhaps to protect the guilty, is the utilization of the rollin' papers package lid to lift and drop the seeds.... ooops, I mean shot down the pan.

Guy B.

(Reformed citizen at large)

13. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

redhawk44 & gdbabin,

ROTFLMAO!

There was a similar thread to this a few years ago and about the same answer was posted. You guys are about to bring a grown man to tears from laughing.

ss

14. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Here's what I use... screen is brass.

[​IMG]

WWhite

15. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

WWhite,

Nice soldering job!

Guy B.

16. Wthomas

Wthomas Member

I stole my wifes kitchen strainer and it works great. Nice 1/2 sphere and it does a perfect job. Biggest problem was wife's irritation. Had to buy her a new one (LOL). To catch spills etc, I took a plastic top from a large flat plastic storage bin and placed it upside down under my loader. Spills end up there and I can use a small hand vacuum to pick up the shot and powder, seperate it via the strainer and lose next to nothing. (Note - the vacuum is used only for this purpose to keep other dirt etc out)

Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how to separate shot from powder

powder and shot how to separate