1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SensGard Ear Protection

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by esoxhunter, Mar 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I realize there is another thread that is discussing this. However, I would appreciate feedback from anyone who has used the SensGard ZEM hearing protection. I just can't get the ear plugs to stay sealed in my ear canal. And believe me I have about tried them all. I always revert back to muffs. However, muffs are hot in the summer, interfere with the stock and do not give a good seal because of the shooting glasses. Also, I have tried many different muffs to include the "cheapies" all the way up to the expensive Pro Ear line. Anyway, I just ordered the SensGard ZEM SG-31 and just wondering if anybody has used them. Thanks. Ed

2. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

I am not sure what you have tried when you say all, but have you tried custom ear plugs?

Bryan

3. trapshooterjoe7

trapshooterjoe7 Member

Ed, i know how you feel, i have 3-4 pair custom plugs, none of them keep out the noise, my ears ring the next day after a shoot. The only thing that works for me are the pink Max-1 foam plugs,and i have to take my time and roll them up and make sure they are inserted right or they "leak" but they are the best i have found. Everyones ear cannals are different, hope you find some that work.Joe

4. Fraz

Fraz TS Member

I have had the same problem and have settled on the Howard Leight "Fusion "
    it is a four blade type 27. reusable from the on line ear plug super store, I
    order 10 at a time to save.
    If your ears cooperate the foam may work, generally not for me.

5. shaggist

shaggist Member

After not being able to get my custom plugs to totally seal out the noise, I tried coating the end that fits into my ear canal with a hand cream. I put some in the ear with my little finger, and spread some on the tip of the plug that fits farthest into my ear. It completely seals the opening and now I don't have a problem with sound leaking past the plug.

Jack

6. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

I prefer custom made plugs (which I make), but have used the SensGuard protectors. I thought their advertizing was just a bunch of hype, but they actually worked well, and much better than I expected.

7. turbobike

turbobike Member

They conduct to much wind noise into your ear when it is windy.
    They don't put enough tension into your ears, and they will rotate front to back as you walk. The db rating might be little optimistic, the cheap foam plugs were several factors more quiet.

8. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Custom molded are good if you dont care about your hearing

Custom molded are the the poorest for several reasons. Dont go down that roads

Soft foam plus

Try the Caldwell thin line muffs over those to protect the bone structure

Regards from Iowa

Gene

9. esoxhunter

Well I received the SensGard ear protectors in the mail today. I tried them on per the instructions. I then wore them around the house for about 5 minutes. They seem to stay in place; unlike the numerous types of ear plugs that I have tried. However, the proof will be when I test them at the range. I sure hope these things work. I am sick of the muffs. Thanks. Ed

10. rdf59

rdf59 Member

I have worn Sensagard for 3 years and I love both pairs. They lower the noise better than foam for me and the do not move once I have adjusted them to the proper tightness over my shooting cap.

I do not work for nor am I associated with that company. I said in another post that several people in my group wear them. Last Friday I noticed two more wearing them. Both had previously worn the custom moulded ear plugs.

11. quartering

quartering Active Member

these things are weird. i don't think they deaden noise as much as they change the sound of noise: if you don't know, with them on, loud noises sound light and tinny, to a degree. it's very unusual compared to what we're use to in headphones muffling noise. i like them and they work except for they don't work with big bore handguns; simply not enough protection. they work fine with shotguns except, as mentioned, they're finicky on fit. they're so lightweight that they're easily displaced from your ear holes. like when you mount your gun you might find that it is no longer snug in your ear and then BANG! bummer. it's like the perfect solution to a noise problem that still has some flaws to overcome. i'll try mine again thursday on a round of skeet and update you with the particulars

12. bob easton

bob easton TS Member

Isn't it strange that when someone asks about a very specific product, other people answer with their custom molded and muffs answers?

I tried the SensGard ZEN device quite a while ago and found that it got in the way of the gun mount. Since then, one of you fine gentlemen suggested wearing it with the yoke over the top of the head. (Don't know why I didn't try that before!)

As for sound dampening, I found the SensGard good and certainly adequate for shotgun shooting, but not as good as properly fitted foam plugs. They certainly would not be good enough for handguns at an indoor range.

For people who don't like, or can't use, foam plugs these might be a fine alternative.

--
    Bob Easton

13. esoxhunter

I just wanted to follow up on this subject. I tried these hearing protectors out this morning at the range. They seem to do a great job and I feel I can finally shoot without the "dreaded muffs". They do not break the 'seal" like the ear plugs do. Anyway just thought I would pass the results of my experience with them. Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.