1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Senior discounts

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by 635 G, Mar 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I',m 68 & every time I see senior discounts it irks me. The people who should get discounts are those with mortgages,kids in schools & still working. If you're working in this economy you are still on a fixed income. So the fixed income crap doesn't work & you're not
    eligible for medicare.

The next generation is so screwed, they don't know it.

The so called greatest generation has morphed into the most selfish generation.

P.S. Those who know me --know I'm not one of the most selfish-I'm too generous to a fault.

Phil Berkowitz

2. letts

letts TS Member

When I was young I paid full price. Now I am old I take the discount. It is true I needed the discount more when I was young. I had to wait until now to qualify though and if I must be this old! I will take the discount.

Letts

3. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

Phil, while you and I may have a resonable retirement income, there are some who have only soc sec for retirement, and a lot of those people didn't pay in maximum and there are a lot that have less than 2000.00 a month to live on. oout of that they have to pay utilities, property taxes, medicare supliments and all of this if they are fortunate to own their home. I think senior discounts are nice especially for those people. If you feel that you don't deserve a discount, then give the companys that are offering those discounts the discounted amount back. I bet it don't happen. I feel like wally world and the others do make a profit so why give the exec's of those companys some extra bonus money. Just something to consider

Bob

4. higun

higun Member

Phil

You and I couldn't agree more. I have had this conversation with the "old farts" more than once.

The people and future of our sport who need any discounts are those in the 30 to 40 year old bracket.

5. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

The discounts I care about are club discounts. Theatre discounts. Car discounts & grocery discounts.

Why isn't evryone's money given the same value.

Phil Berkowitz

6. shelly

shelly TS Member

I don't see the problem, if you don't want a senior discount then don't take it- no companies make people take discounts that I'm aware of. I happen to like senior discounts and like military discounts even more. Both Lowes and Home Depot give a 10% discount to anybody with a military ID- active, retired, reserve, Guard, dependent, whatever. Others do the same but don't advertise it- you don't know unless you ask.

7. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

The problem in my eyes why should a senior with a 200K retirement income in excess(tax free) be given a discount based on age. While a younger person who is strapped has to pay full price. Case closed.

Phil Berkowitz

8. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

Because the majority of seniors do not make "in excess of 200K" and many do not have more limited opportunities and/or physical ability to find extra jobs. Younger people can get out there and find a second job, get a better job, get additional training, etc. to improve their lives. And it is good business planning to offer an incentive to bring in the seniors that have disposable income.

How are these companies supposed to tell who is strapped and who isn't (young or old). Maybe they should give a senior discount only in you can produce your latest income tax form to prove you need the discount. Not all young people are strapped either.

And what's with this "Case Closed"? Must be senior anger issues.

9. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

Phil --- at 69 I guess I'm one of those you're addressing but you got the terminology wrong, being born in 1942 I'm just before tha baby-boomer's and well after those American's who endured the Great Depression and the fortitude to fight in World War II.

Calling them selfish is more than wrong, it's insulting to them and I bet there's more than a few of the 80+ year-old WWII Vet's who'd be happy to explain your error if given a chance.

10. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Well, I got jaundiced by an older relative, who told me my generation made a smart bet & you have to cover it.(he was referring to social security) In our sport if the ATA can give seniors a 50% discount on life memberships, why not make the cost of a life membership $250./ for everyone?

Phil Berkowitz

11. shelly

shelly TS Member

Does Phil really think that seniors should have to provide a net worth statement prior to receiving a discount? That's really odd. If not, how would they show that they are financially needy? Who determines the definition of financially needy?- is it X amount or Y amount?- only Phil knows for sure. Somehow I think Phil is trolling on this thread.

Nobody makes anybody else offer a senior discount, so why is is anybody else's business if somebody offers one?

12. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Trappy: "Senior Discount" doesn't apply to you just because you're in the 12th grade.

-Gary

13. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

You said "The discounts I care about are club discounts. Theatre discounts. Car discounts & grocery discounts." (Should be theater)

If you are so well off why do you care about these. Being retired myself only the grocery discount would be of any benefit. I need to eat but if I had to I could do without the others.

And to answer to your ATA question seems pretty simple to a simple person like me. The answer is that seniors do not have that long to live before dying, and probably will not even be able to shoot toward the end.

Are you sure you really feal this way? Ray (ö¿ö)

14. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Double auto says it right. His comments reflect my sentiments exactly. I'm only 63 and I'm a long way from $200 K a year. I've worked hard all my life and I'm actually appreciative of the discounts I receive. I worked two jobs for many years raising a family. Yes, that was my choice and I'd do it all over again. I'm not complaining but totally disagree with you. Jackie B.

15. turbobike

turbobike Member

Boy your not kidding...us younger generations are screwed. I fully expect to never retire, work until my body quits and hopefully euthanasia will be legal. I hope society will have enough compassion and put me away like my old dog....

16. FalconSprint

FalconSprint TS Member

I'd sure like to see a senior discount on property taxes. Maybe at 68 or something like that you pay half, "IF" you were a resident for 30 consecutive years. If you lived in the same house for 30 plus years, paid it off, you still don't own the damn thing with the heavy property taxes in my area. And moving? I'm too old to pack up all this stuff and start again.

17. FalconSprint

FalconSprint TS Member

But, but it's for the children, don't ya know. Maryland's gonna cram some more alcohol taxes down our throats, all in the name of "for the children" I'm about sick of all these for the children scams.

18. hoot619

hoot619 Member

Not very many are even close to that retirement income. Glad you have it but don't take my discounts away. Every little bit helps. I'm lucky I can still shoot once a week for 6 months. Too damn bad I can't eat the damn things. I have tried every way but they still taste like crap!

Prices go up but my income stays the same. Making it ok but a lot of others aren't. Ken U

19. Old Doc

Old Doc Member

Many years ago a patient asked for a discount because he was on a "fixed income". My response at the time was that while he could afford to spend 3 months in Arizona on his "fixed income" I couldn't. End of discussion. D Winter

20. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Sure am glad you feel that way about senior discounts,, you have my permission to follow me everywhere I go & pay the difference for me when I accept them. I'm a 70 yr. old carpenter & had to retire due to a bad back. very few of us have the income that you claim to have, you probably waste more money a month than I & most others get from the SS that we paid into for 50+ yrs. SURE HOPE your TROLLING & not serious. Ross Puls

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.