1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Sending shotgun to myself

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by archangel, Dec 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. archangel

archangel Member

Can I send a shotgun to myself by UPS. From Illinois to my daughters home in Tucson for example. Mike

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Yes.

HM

3. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Forget UPS !

I tried to send a shotgun to myself in care of my daughter ...UPS would not accept it because it was not addressed to a FFL ...even after I pointed out that it is allowed by ATF and their own rules.

So I went to my local Post Office and the gal asked what's in the package, I told her it was a shotgun ... she then asked if I wanted to insure it. That was all it took.

4. Bazooka Joe

Bazooka Joe Member

I've done it several times by UPS

5. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Sending it to your daughters isnt sending it to you. The real answer is- what are you trying to accomplish and do you want to risk going to jail if it is something that was not intended to be within the law?

Write the ATF a letter and ask them the exact question. They will give you an answer and a site- now their answer is not legally binding on them but it will give you an exact starting point.

If it is really for you- why would you not transport it yourself when you go?

Regards from Iowa

Gene

6. billyboy07208

billyboy07208 Member

I sent my colts double eagle from nj to ca via 2nd day ups both ways,and flew to my destination,all was good.

7. archangel

archangel Member

Just to clarify I would like to shoot trap at Tucson when I visit in the spring. No deception addressed to myself, not for anyone else.

8. g7777777

Well then you should OK- but I would address it to yourself - if that is where they live just put it cc to them if that is where you reside while you are in Arizona

If you arent residing with them you probably want to get an opinion from the ATF

And as I and others have alluded to - I dont think you can use a common carrier such as UPS

Regards from Iowa

Gene

9. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

The safest way is by USPS Registered mail it's about a day or two slower but more secure and the insurance rates are at least half.

10. copper

copper Member

I have sent to myself but incare of the person who house it is beening sent to my mother my sister what ever is legal unless there has been a change that I don,t know of Dave

11. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

What Pat said....

12. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Exactly what Pat said.

ss

13. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

UPS is usually no problem to ship a gun unless you happen to get customer service rep Shabooki...she always has an attitude. She refused to accept my package after disclosure of it's contents. I asked for her supervisor and she started screaming that I had "disrespected her". By the time it was over I had 3 managers out there and Shabooki was told to go on break...now.
    Gun shipped without a problem after that.

I'd recommend USPS or FedEx.

14. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

i have sent mine fed ex. use their on line service and open an account. print the label at home. All you do is drop it off at a fed ex/officemax location. They ask NO QUESTIONS. Address it to yourself. I sent it to a fed ex/packing place in the town where I was going and picked it up when i got there. No mention of the gun inside. It works fine and legal. motordoc

15. g7777777

"Authorized another person to pick it up. No Problem"

Wrong- big problem- you broke the law and posted it online on an international chat forum

You might want to remove that post.

Remember also that FEDEX is a common carrier. There can be no authorized pick up from a common carrier in general unless you follow their regulations and the federal law. Read the law. Consult an attorney if in doubt

To the person that is sending handguns second day to himself- you might want to delete your post also(unless you are FFL which you didnt claim). Also note that NJ and California both have very strict laws on shipments into and possibly out of their states. You picked the absolute two most problematic states.

Regards from Iowa

Gene

16. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Gene,

Wouldn't it have been better/smarter to PM that person instead of "posting it online on an international chat forum"??? Maybe you should alert the MODs, Interpol and Scotland Yard as well.

17. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Homeland security, Mayberry PD...

18. archangel

archangel Member

Thanks I went to the gov web site I can send it to myself c/o whom ever. For some ones info recently beretta issued a pickup by UPS at my office no questions.

19. g7777777

It has nothing to do if they question it at the UPS or Fedex office--- geeezzzzz

Beretta or any other manufacturer can always issue a pickup tag or you can ship to them- they have a manufacturers FFL

Whatever- do whatever you want and believe in the tooth fairy as well

The point is- if you are somehow thinking you are circumventing the rules by being "smart" you really arent.

Anyone making posts can withdraw them at any time

After all the attention that fast and furious has gotten- nothing and I mean nothing is more watched than the shipment of firearms.

Now just think of the scenario- you supposedly send it to yourself without declaring it is a firearm-"no questions asked" and someone else picks it up for you- but you arent in town for another month maybe. So the gun gets stolen from the someone else or the someone else has a restraining order on them from a judge at the time- maybe a temp order from a wife. Guess who might be going to jail? Not only the someone else but who? Quiz question of the day

Regards from Iowa

Gene

20. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Exactly as copper and p3at said. Mail it to yourself, C/O, in care of your daughters name and you will have no problem. When you send by USPS tell them you want a signature when they accept it. Just sent one this morning but not to myself. If you have any doubts click on the link above. It leads you to gunbroker.com they have all the batf rules about shipping on their site. Mike.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.