1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Sending Money for Gun Purchase

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by tgs1420@gmail.com, Sep 17, 2013.

1. tgs1420@gmail.com

tgs1420@gmail.com Member

0   0   0

I sold a Gun, the Buyer sent a Cashiers Check. I went to deposit it and my Credit Union said it will take 11 Business days to clear. I asked if a Money Order was better, she said the same ? What has been your experience ? Should I have tried a Bank ? Does anybody use PayPal ?

2. Clays82

Clays82 Member

0   0   0

i had the same with my Credit Union, 11 days before check clears with makes no sance. where it comes to paypel i never used it to sell/buy gun, the only time i used paypal was thru ebay..

3. oofie810

oofie810 TS Member

0   0   0

Isn't a postal money order good as cash? You can go to a post office and they will give you cash for how much the money order was.

-Ron

4. jeffprigge

jeffprigge Active Member

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

Postal money order , keeps both parties honest

5. minnship8

minnship8 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

There is a ton of fraud going on with cashiers checks and money orders. Paypal works well, I've used it a ton, but not for guns. They do take around 3% off the top, just like a credit card.

A lot of banks these days offer other ways to send money to individuals. My bank, US Bank, has a "pay a person" option, where I just give them the email addy or cell phone number and they send a link to the person getting the money. That person follows the link, enters their banking information, and the money is instantly transferred.

You might want to call your bank and ask them how to best send and receive money and you may be surprised at the simple and reliable options they can offer.

Regards,
    Chip

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Rating - 50%
    1   1   0

A postal money order is the best, other than a direct bank transfer which at my bank costs 12 bucks.

I'm not real keen on Paypal since they are anti gun and could cause problems.

HM

7. Jim R

Jim R Ljutic Nut TS Supporters

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

I have people send US Postal Money Orders. You can take those to your local Post Office and they will run them for you. Most of the time our local (very small) Post Office can't cash them but at least I know they are good before I cash them at my bank.

A couple of times people have sent me Cashiers Checks and my bank will contact the issuing bank to check them out, most banks will not do this.

Jim R

8. Shoot682

Shoot682 TS Member

0   0   0

The problem is the same as it is everywhere else. The dishonest people have ruined it for everyone. It is so bad that it makes us all nervous. Let's not forget about the flip side off the coin. You buy a gun, you send the money, the other party tells you they are waiting ( in this case 11 days) for them check to clear before they ship the gun. How does that person feel waiting to see if a gun is really going to show up? PayPal is a good option as it provides some proof, but when it comes down to it, try to go after some individual, in another state, with no more proof than a PM and a cancelled check. In most cases it would cost you more to pursue it than take the loss.

I'm not sure what the answer is. I think if we choose to buy and sell on here we have to be somewhat confortable with the risk. I haven't ever had any issues here, but sooner or later I may get burned. I try to search the forum for the user I am dealing with to make sure no one else has had any problems. Talk to the other party and see what kind of a vibe you get.

In the end it comes down to try to treat others as you would have them treat you. Hmmm, what a concept. I wonder where that came from.

9. Brady509

Brady509 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Tim I really dont think you have much to worry about. Everyone on here that is a shister gets plastered the second a deal goes south. I simply do a search on the individual and see what they are about. As far as paypal i have never recieved payment before so I haven't a dog in that fight.

In fact I have purchased item on here before and the seller has shipped before I could even get to the post office to purchase a MO.

IMHO this site thus far is as close to being face to face as possible. You always skype and a good old phone call to solidify the deal.

What I dont understand is a bank will hold a check for 7 days at the very most. It seems that a personal check is soon going to be better.

brady

10. Justinosen

Justinosen Member

0   0   0

PAYPAL is anti gun, like ebay, If you get a problem with Paypal or payment they will not stand behind any firearm or firearm related transaction "BEWARE". I have good success with wire transfers They are usally good the same day or next morning and your bank will insure it.

Justin

11. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

0   0   0

Is he a long time poster on Trapshooters?

Read some of his posts. Where does he shoot. Do people know him.

Has he had other dealings on Trapshooters?

Is he a member of the ATA, NSCA, NSSA?

Does he have a listed home address and phone number?

What comes up when you Google his name?

If you do all this, you don't have much to worry about. If you don't,
    send money at your own risk.

12. Paulsgs

Paulsgs Member

0   0   0

I have done over 50 transactions on Gunbroker and Gunrunner. M.O.'s have always been considered the same as a bank check, ie no waiting for it to clear. Do NOT use Paypal for any firearm, the Co. will freeze your account

13. senorric

senorric Member

0   0   0

Postal M.O.'s have worked well for me on high ticket items ----

14. PatMiles

PatMiles Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

I always look at the number of posts that a buyer OR seller might have. Somewhat of an indicator. I ALWAYS ask for a USPS Money Order as I can dial a toll free number for the USPS and find out within minutes if a money order is legit or not. My credit union verifies the money order before they will accept it and only then the funds are available instantly. I asked for the telephone number and use it as soon as I receive payment so I know I can ship the item within a day or two.

Pat

15. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

0   0   0

If they ask for a Western Union money transfer ... I pass on it as it is usually a scam.

If it is an inexpensive item, I will send a check knowing that it takes a few days for it to clear before the other party will send the item.

Large items, I will PM them and ask for a phone number. A conversation will quickly establish whether or not to continue with the purchase. PLUS, if you have a phone number, you can easily find out their address.

If it sounds too good a deal to be true ... it probably is a scam!

16. bossbasl

bossbasl Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Deal only with reputable people you know to have integrity. In many deals, I have sent the gun or items prior to receiving the check and was treated the same way by others.

17. crk

crk Member

0   0   0

If you use paypal for a gun payment and they figure it out - you account will be frozen/locked and cancelled. There is another payment service out there that is gun friendly but I dont remember the name. May also try Square-up or something like that for direct credit card processing.

18. DustyOne60

DustyOne60 Active Member

0   0   0

A Single Phrase: "Interest Float on Held Funds"

ADP (The payroll people) floats billions of dollars everyday processing small company employee payroll programs. They get the funds from the company on Monday when they call in their payroll and everyone gets paid on Friday (or another some such delay).

Float a billion dollars everyday and the interest piles up to real money!

Cheers, Dusty

19. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

0   0   0

I have sold and purchased hundreds of guns on the net. I always use USPS money orders. My bank calls to check that the # is good and then cashes them for me. Works great.
    Just three weeks ago a person on here wanted to buy a gun from me and that guy must not have trusted a sole. He wanted me to sign a contract and put the money in an escrow. To me this guy was a village idiot. I would not have sold him a box of bolts. I personally don't have time for these kinds of people or deals. Not worth the hassle for sure. Who knows, maybe that's what it will come to and for me the private person deal will be a thing of the past.

20. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

0   0   0

Dusty nailed it. Financial institutions in this country have the ability to 'clear' checks almost instantaneously. My bank routinely clears checks in two business days and sooner if I ask them.

What Lyle says is important too - know who you are trading with and you don't have anything to worry about.

Search tags for this page

gun purchase with money order tips