1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Sending a shotgun barrel to Canada from the US

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Dbl Auto, Oct 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dbl Auto

Dbl Auto Active Member

I have for a sale a Browning Double Auto barrel and I have a buyer BUT he is Canada. Can I send the barrel to him? I am going to get professional advice in the morning, but was curious if any here have experience with shipping gun parts to Canada.
    Thank you,
    Doug Allison

2. hoffman06

hoffman06 Member

About a year ago I sold a guy in Canada a 700 Remington composit stock and it was confiscated by US Customs and the paperwork that was sent to me declared it a weapon of war. Sent him one the week before and it was delivered just fine so must be the person doing the paperwork,I would be careful.
    Carey

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I would suggest you find a buyer in the US, or have the Canadian buyer find a US shipping address if he's close enough to the border. Otherwise if you do ship it to Canada, express that all the risk is on the buyer if it gets confiscated by customs.

4. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

The US government does not allow the exporting of miscellaneous gun parts over $100 in value, triggers, receivers or barrels without proper paperwork. An exporting FFL is required to do it legally.

Skeet_man's suggestion is the best way if you still want to sell it to a Canadian. The person exporting the material takes the risk. The Canadian government just wants the tax. Bill Malcolm

5. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Brownells Website:

There are a number of items which Brownells sells which need US State Department approval and an export license before they can be shipped out of the country. The regulations are complex and constantly changing but our staff is here to help you understand what is needed and will gladly work with you to correctly accomplish the task.

Generally speaking, items which usually need a license are:

•Frames

•Receivers

•Barrels

•Barrel Liners

•Various other gun parts such as triggers, sears, ejectors, magazine tubes, scopes, and other items if the ordered amount is over $100.00 US.

-------

By the way. If you decide to take your chances and the feds get involved for some reason (maybe the package opens during shipping or its flagged by U.S. customs), you can't blame it on the guy in Canada.

6. Dbl Auto

Dbl Auto Active Member

All great info. Thank you gentlemen! Not worth the risk IMO.
    Doug Allison

7. dougp

dougp TS Member

I,m a Canadian if the buyer has a USA address it can be shipped there , The Canadian picks it up at USA address and pays tax to Canadian Customs .. The seller does not have to worry about it after that . . Customs here are mostly interested in collecting the tax as long as you declare the part .. We can import what is described as unresticted firearms ie , shotguns some rifles , no handguns and we no longer have a long gun registry which was abolished in May 2012 . So a barrel can be shipped to a USA address otherwise U.S customs and Cdn , customs can be problematic. Hope this helps clarify your concern.

8. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

If you are in Alberta, check out attheborderstorage.com in Sweetgrass, Montana. I use them to receive just about anything I buy in the US. They notify me when something is scanned into their system and I go and pick it up.

Ron Burr

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.