1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

seminole choke tubes?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shrek, Feb 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shrek

shrek Active Member

Anybody here use seminole choke tubes in their guns?

If so, how have they performed and held up?

I am considering getting a couple.

Two things that appeal to me are that I can get them in black oxide, ( I like the subtle of the black extended tubes, I am not into flashy) and that they do not have wrench notches in the end which seem to like to snag, when sliding the gun into the case.

However performance weighs heavier than the color and notch issue.

Thanks for the information.

If wrights offered their sporting ones in black oxide finish I'd be more interested in them.

2. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I have a whole set of them that I've been using for years for all games. A choke is a choke, not rocket science here. As long as they mic out to what they are supposed to (in this case, they do and have stayed true) and you get the desired patterns (these pattern pretty good for the most part) then I don't believe any one brand is better than any other.

JMHO

3. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Tron.. friend.. buddy.. I must disagree.. Seminole chokes have always been good.. but different manufactures can have different profiles.. Depending what you want to do with a choke.. and how its made can have much to do with a pattern. A very short choke..and a very quick.. abrupt restriction has a much harder time of giving you the "ultimate" pattern.. that could much easier be done with a long.. extended choke section with a very smooth.. easy transition to the same constriction.. In my many test with 24 gram shells for bunker.. The custom made Clearview choke and the Wright #10 displayed the pattern I wanted to see.. For most.. under 40 yards..just about everything worked pretty well.. but once you get to 55/65 yards..You can see a world of difference.. Now.. no 2 barrels are the same.. and no 2 chokes are the same.. I've had everyone's choke do well.. and some not so well.. A simple change of chokes either made the pattern better or worse.. Try the Seminole chokes you like..pattern them.. and go from there.. Better yet.. CALL the factory and tell them what you need.. Almost all of them know what will give you the best chance of getting your desired results the first time out.. I favor Wright chokes because of years of testing and solving pattern problems.. YET.. if you saw me in Kerrville.. I had Stu's choke for my first shot.. and Clearview for the second most of the time.. On my trip to Kerrville.. I went with 12 shotguns.. and over 60 choketubes..along with 8000 shells for testing.. Some older Brilleys were fine.. the new ones were not exceptional.. The Seminoles worked well out of 2 barrels.. but not my favorate gun.. The Colonial chokes were great for "closer" shots.. but long range was only fair.. The Teague chokes were all excellent.. but I wanted a hotter core with 24 gram than they could give me. Carlson was excellent in a 870 punp I brought.. The ported..black oxide choke was a real winner..but it was a .050 choke.. Can you spell INKBALL.. but I had none for my Perazzi.. While we are here.. make sure your barrel is threaded correctly.. I've been seeing more than my share of barrels threaded off center.. No choke will pattern correctly out of that.. All Good.. Mike

4. shrek

shrek Active Member

Mike,

I know of what you speak when you mention the barrel threaded off center.

I have had a couple remington and a couple winchester 1300 barrels that were than way. All of them recent manufacturing, quality control has slid in some areas, it appears, or employee "give a hoot" factor. Very aggravating.

5. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Don't leave out a Marlin Goosegun.. and a BT100 just recently I've seen.. Barrels and chokes are an exacting science.. yet no one knows EXACTLY what it takes.. It's always.. get close and go from there.. I will tell you that there are exceptions to EVERY rule.. The ONLY way to see what fits YOUR barrel harmonics is to shoot it.. I've had chokes that were perfect in the top barrel.. bore .729.. and once you put it in the bottom barrel.. bore .729 it shot like an entirely different choke.. So.. I know everything.. and nothing..all in the same sentence.. I will say that I once had a MT-6 that would not develop the pattern I wanted until I hit a Wright #5 and #8.. And Stu worked with me until I got it right.. I never forgot the favor.. Also..the shell you shoot.. and the quality of shot really matters at long ranges..as does the wads.. Especially at over 1300 fps..and small payload.. From the 16.. most of this matters not.. 2nd shot on doubles a little more.. 27 yard line even more..and 60 yard Sporting Clay crossers..on edge are as hard as the parking lot..

6. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

The one thing Seminole does which is a bit unique - it makes the tubes for your shotgun's specific bore diameter.

I have a C/G 20/28 Summit Special that came with 'factory' Seminole tubes.

Nicest shooting gun I own.

They make 'Generic' tubes too, but if you call and talk to them they will ask the TRUE bore of your shotgun (i.e., their tolerances are going to be tighter than factory). This should translate into better pattern in YOUR gun.

If you don't have a bore gauge they offer to measure yours if you ship them to them - they will return with the new tubes.

PPB is correct about INTENT as well - but you can talk to Seminole and they will have an answer.

David D

David D

7. Pass103

Pass103 TS Member

Seminole makes the best tube in the business, No plastic or lead build up. 30,000 shells in Argentina and no crap build up. I will be at the So. Grand and will measure your bores. Frank look for the SEMINOLE Sign.

8. tj303

tj303 Member

I had them over bore and custom make a set of choke tubes. Absolutely perfect workmanship. I called them up several years later to order another tube made, they had the original work order on file and made another perfect fitting choke tube. TJ

9. BunkerGuy

BunkerGuy TS Member

You may find the bunch of pattern runs with Briley and Seminole tubes at
    www.shootingbunker.com/openitup.html of interest. As it happened, a Seminole turned out to be the preferred choke when all was said and done.

Only complaint I have about the Seminoles is the lack of a tightening notch.

Any supplier will supply the exact choke you want. Of course, there will be a charge for someone to go to the bin and measure...

- - Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
custom chokes for shotguns seminole
seminole choke tobes
seminole choke tubes
seminole choke tubes shotgun

seminole chokes

seminole shotgun chokes

seminole shotguns for sale
what are seminol shotgun chokes