Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seminole Chambermates 12-20: Product Review

6K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  checker 
#1 ·
A while ago I asked about Seminole Chambermates, and Johnny T was kind enough to let me try a pair. After half a box, I was hooked. These things work GREAT.

Ordering them from Seminole couldn't have been easier. I called up, placed my order, and had them in two days. Seminole actually shipped them the same day I ordered them.

It's a simple design, but its work well. They're universal so they'll fit just about any O/U 12ga gun. You just adjust the fit via the supplied o-rings. After a few test fits, I went with the larger o-ring.

I know it says to use premium ammo, but mine work fine with 20ga Estates (cause I'm cheap).

This past weekend I shot my first sub-gauge tournament (Ben Avery Invitational) with them.

I'm happy to report that out of the 50 rounds I fired, I only had one failure to eject. The fact that I shot a 41x50, and won $14.50 was a bonus. The fact that I don't have to schlep around another gun is just icing on the cake.

If you're looking for an economical alternative to a dedicated sub-gauge gun, give the Seminole Chambermates a try.

http://www.chambermates.com/

See less See more
#4 ·
I shot a round of 16-yard trap the other day with a modified choke in my trap gun, 20 gauge chambermates, and my reloads with 7/8 ounces of number 7-1/2's.

While the breaks were not spectacular, they were firm. The only 2 misses (out of about 30 targets) were operator error.

#6 ·
BigBore you are probably right about the Chronograph numbers but chronographs don't break targets and these things do. I have been using the 20 & 28 versions for 2 years with a lot of success. I am sure they lose velocity but I shoot faster shells to compensate. I have a set of Perazzi's in 20, 28 & 410. I like to shoot them but they just don't fit me the way my 12ga does. I do not shoot the 12-410 set as the patterning was pretty bad. Jack

#7 ·
How do you think they compare with the Briley SideKicks? I'm thinking of getting a set of shorties for my CG. I really can't afford to tube it right now and sometimes have to shoot 20 ga. Thanks!

#11 ·
I have both Seminole Chambermates (12 to 20) and Briley Sidekicks (12 to 28.)

I prefer the Seminole Chambermates because the o-ring prevents combustion gases from getting back to the breech face and dirtying things up.

The Brileys have no such seal (all they are is a shortened version of their full length tubes, with a little nylon button to keep them snug in the chamber.)

With the Brileys, things get dirty real fast unless you use a few wraps of teflon tape to seal the front end.

The only down-side to the Chambermates is you have to have a bunch of o-rings on hand. They don't last very long, especially if you take them out and put them back in once or twice.

Both of them say to use "premium" ammunition with a brass base, because they both will fail to eject the cheap stuff. I have never had a problem, though. For 20 gauge I use AA's and for 28 gauge I use Estates and Federals (same hull.) If you use these, or Remington STS, you should not have any problem, even with reloads.

EE, my experience with using the Chambermates in my trap gun is limited to that one time. I have, in the past, used 12 gauge 7/8 ounce loads with 8-1/2 shot, but that was a couple years ago, so I can't really make a fair comparison.

For the casual user who wants to go sub-gauge, they're fine. Not sure I would use them if I was a competitive skeet shooter.

Also, for 12 gauge to .410 I would recommend using full length tubes.

Tim

#13 ·
EE,

I have the .410 tubes for a 28. They work OK for fooling around, but you do get a lot of bloopers. It's a BIG jump from a .410 wad to the 28ga bore, so sealing the bore isn't 100%. Also leaves a lot of unburned powder in the bore. Upside is it's cheaper than a set of bbls for occasional use (for me).

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.