1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Seminole chamber mates

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bkms, Dec 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bkms

bkms Member

Anyone ever try the 12 to 20guage Seminole chambermates? If so, what's the pro's and con's of them. Merry Christmas to all, Bob..........

2. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Yes, I've tried the 12/20 Chambermates. I've used them to win my class in several large 20 gauge sporting clays tournaments.

The only "con" is that you can't use them in pumps or autoloaders.

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

For what they cost they are great to a point, I use them in the 20gauge events at our club. They are well made and work as stated by the Seminole. They offer a 30 day money back guarantee. I found them to be a little picky with ammo. Some cases will swell after shooting and stick in the chambermate. All this is covered on their web site. Will also differ from gun to gun. A fellow shooter got a set for his K gun everything stuck except AA. In my XT estates where a problem followed by fed/win party pack and then gun clubs. Some of the best where Fed heavy field loads, remington surshot and heavy dove, the last 2 being the best scores I got with the adapter. I tied for 1st on our 20gauge night shoot. 25 24 was beat out by longest run. The AAs and STS worked the well with no problems. I had a lot of unburned or so it looked like unburned powder in all but the fed heavy feild loads. All in all great for some fun 20gauge shooting or for those just starting that think 20g is less recoil. By far cheaper than a new gun or full length tubes, and you do not need to get used to another gun. I did not change chokes. Briely Spectrum IM. I used mostly surshot and heavy dove and fed field loads at 1oz. I did not like the STS so much they only come in 9shot, never liked 9s. I only bought one, but looking back should have spent the xxx$$$ for the set. The web site is full of info, I am happy I give them AA+ rating.

4. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Do a search. This subject has been covered many times. I like them, but others have different opinions.

5. bkms

bkms Member

Thanks guys, i recieved mine today. I want to do some sporting clays with them and regular hunting. Easystreet, did you tighten your choke for sporting clays or stay with the same choke that you shot 12 ga with? I will have to do the search and read up on past comments too. Thanks, bob.......

6. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Bob,

I patterned my 20 gauge Chambermates with the various chokes in my 12 gauge gun and compared the patterns with the 12 gauge patterns. On average, the 20 gauge patterns were SLIGHTLY more open than a 12 gauge pattern with the same choke, so you might want to tighten down slightly if you want the same pattern density. However, the Modified choke gave a tighter pattern with the Chambermates than it did with a 12 gauge shell.

In general though, the differences in pattern size between 12 gauge and 20 gauge were small, so if you just stick with the same choke you would normally use in the 12 gauge, you won't see much difference in pattern size, but the density will be slightly less since you are only shooting 7/8 ounce loads in 20 gauge.

As to which shells to use, Seminole clearly tells you to stick with AA or STS shells in the Chambermates. That is good advice. If you use shells other than AA or STS, sometimes the hull will stick to the Chambermate insert and the insert and shell will be ejected together when you open the gun. That's not good since you want the insert to stay firmly in place in the chamber. As with most things, it's best to follow the manufacturer's advice.

P.S. Teflon tape can be used in place of the O-rings on the Chambermates. It's good for about 100 rounds before having to replace the tape. Lube the Chambermates well with grease before inserting them and clean the chambers thoroughly after using the Chambermates before going back to using 12 gauge shells.

7. GBR

GBR Member

Bob: I have had 12 to 20 gauge chamber mates for over two years now. I like them. I only use them when shooting skeet. As previously mentioned some shells swell in the chamber (usually the cheaper shell with a steel base) and you have to push them out with a long rod. When that happens I throw the spent shells away. I also have to remove my 'mates every one hundred shots to clean them. they are difficult to get out of the chamber. I shoot a Browning 425. The tool you get with them leaves something to be desired. I wish there was a better tool to grab the 'mate when pulling them out. In the winter, your shot will sound hollow. Probably because of the seal the wad make with the bore. Doesn't effect the pattern, however. You will like them. Good shooting. GBR

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
12 to 20 chamber mate affect pattern

seminole chambermates reviews opinions