1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

semiauto 1oz load

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Real Stinky, Feb 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Real Stinky

Real Stinky TS Member

Is there a way to get a Remington 1100 to cycle one ounce load? Reason for asking is I made a pile of 1oz STS reloads for break action gun which was sold and now only shooting the 1100. It cycles fully on 1-1/8 but not 1.

2. ke4yyd

ke4yyd Member

My 1100 cycles on 5/8 oz reloads, barely. It does well on 3/4 oz reloads. Most 7/8 oz factory loads work OK. Sounds as if your 1100 is not functioning up to par.

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Shouldn't be a trick if the gun is in good condition. Before we get into the ammo question, how well do you understand the gas seals and barrel seal? Also what model and chamber length is the 1100?

4. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

My Super-X 1 is a bit touchy with 1 oz loads, but only when it's cold (around zero or so). Have you been shooting in those kind of temps?

If so, it could be the gun is stiff, or the ammo is cold (slower ignition and reduced velocity), or both.

Kiv

5. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

Unless your 1100 is a magnum field model, it really should be cycling 1oz. loads. My 1100 Comp will cycle 5/8oz. - 1225 speed loads, just fine. I'm going to make a couple of suggestions here, just in case you're not that familiar with the 1100's character. No offense intended.

One thing that you might do is shoot it 'wet'. That means putting a light lube on the magazine tube and gas rings. I use Slip2000, but Breakfree CLP works well too. Maybe a good and complete cleaning. Complete is pulling the in-stock recoil spring and cleaning and lubricating it. It's also checking the gas ports in the barrel ring to see that they are open.

Kip

6. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

Spray some CLP on the slide and go shoot it.This might be the easy way out.

7. Real Stinky

Real Stinky TS Member

It's 12ga Classic Trap. The 1oz reloads are STS green hull std spec 16.5gr Hodgson 700X. Gun cycles fine on factory 1-1/8. By cycling, I mean complete spent shell expulsion and next shell loaded with bolt reseated. The 1oz jams. New gun, maybe shot one flat through it. The little gas port is clear and o-ring is in place. I thought it was pretty well lubed but with take your suggestion to lube a little more. Glad to hear so far I don't need to fiddle with a spring. Thanks.

8. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

You should have two ports in the barrel.

The gas seals also need to be clean, not just lubed up.

Other than that, 1 Oz of shot and 16.5g of IMR 700x should cycle the gun just fine. My 100 Skeet gun runs good on lighter shells than that.

9. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

If the gun is THAT new, try shooting 4 or 5 boxes of 1-1/8 ounce 3 dram loads to loosen things up a little.

10. Ontario Chris

Ontario Chris Member

R.S.

May I offer a few suggestions in an effort to help? Why not try a test of factory 1 oz. shells in an effort to remove that variable? With a strong main spring, clear barrel gas ports, clean mag tube, and receiver rails lightly lubed with Breakfree CLP, my 1100 cycles 7/8 1250 fps. reloads very well.

Hope this helps,

Chris

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.