1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

semi O/T use of skeet/spt. clays guns for tr

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Dave P, Dec 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Out of curiosity how many of you use your skeet or sporting clays guns for trap?

Please elaborate a little bit on your experiences both good or bad plus suggestions. Thanks, Dave P

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If you want to be successful you need a gun with a built in vertical lead to shoot trap. Other wise you will have to work very hard to break the birds. Most of the time you will have to cover the bird, obscuring it from your view inorder to hit it with a flat shooting skeet or sporting clays gun. HMB

3. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I was somewhat forced into shooting my Browning 425 32" Sporting for trap. When our range when to steel, it was the only steel-compatible firearm that I owned at the time. Previous to using the 425, I was shooting a Superposed Broadway with fixed chokes IM/F.

The 425 took a small bit to learn how to shoot as it has no adjustments, but it does allow for a sight picture just over the muzzle and I use it regularly.

I should also mention I only shoot recreationally, but I continue to use it for both daily shooting, games and our leagues and I can compete with it.

Conversely, I use the Superposed Trap (now with Briley Thinwalls) for Skeet, Sporting and Hunting when shooting lead - go figure!

My opinion is that if you already have the gun and can shoot the gun, then regardless of its intended design, shoot it!

Good Luck to you,
    Jay Spitz

4. emm2

emm2 Member

I shoot a tubed 682 gold e for all shotgun sports. 30 inch barrels, adjustable comb and a bunch of chokes. I can shoot all 12 gauge and sub gauge events. What more do you need?

5. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I often use a 686, 390 and a 1100 for shooting trap and normally shoot in the low 90's from the 16. I use both of these guns for hunting, sporting and skeet and do own several barrels for the 390 and 1100. I can't honestly say that I shoot a lot better with the trap guns yet but will keep trying. Jackie B.

6. ljunatic

ljunatic Member

I too use a Browning 425 for Trap doubles. I did replace the stock with Wenig New American style. I like the low wide rib and the flat shooting upper barrel for doubles.

7. Scoutman 06

Scoutman 06 Member

I have shot trap with my sporting clays gun & it's not that difficult since there is no target that comes out of an American trap that you won't eventually see on a sporting clays course. However, I do agree with hmb, shooting trap with a higher shooting gun makes it a lot easier since the target is always in view. John

8. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Dave, I also shoot both the other clay target games as well. I started shooting the other ones and was used to the flater shooting guns required or at least used in that type of shooting. When I switched to trap I still prefer the flater shooting guns so I do not have to shoot targets differently. If you want a high shooting gun for trap and get used to it, it will cost you birds in the other games (with other gun) as you shoot those. I like to shoot all games the same with the flater shoot guns. Thats what works well for me. If I only shot trap the highter POI guns might (or would) be better suited. You will have to find out what works for you. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

9. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I used field guns for trap for a long time. The problem was, the field stocks didn't fit me very well. And they were very flat shooting. I went to monte carlo stocks on my trap and sporting clays guns. I found that I was having difficulty adjusting to different POIs, so I eventually installed monte carlo stocks on my field guns too. The POI did not rise that much. Went from 50/50 to 60/40, which is pretty mild.

Edit: I ought to add that the field stocks required me to pre-mount the gun, and carefully line up the beads in a figure-8. Now, I nolonger need the rear bead, and I can shoot sporting clays from low-gun. This indicates that the monte carlo stock fits me better than a field stocks, which are similar to skeet and sporting clays stocks.

10. k80jim

k80jim Member

This is what worked for me. I wanted the same sight picture when breaking birds, same trigger and same look down the rib. I shoot a K80 Trap Combo. 34" Unsingle. You can adjust the point of impact at the end of the barrel without changing the comb. So it works for singles and H.C. I use the 30" O.U. for Trap Doubles and Sporting Clays. The O.U. have Kolar Skeet tubes that stop about three inches short of the end of the barrels. I carried AAA average for all four, but shot the 20ga in the 12ga. events. I think this is a very good " all in one gun" if you shoot a little of everything. Not cheep but you can get by with one gun. If you could not adjust the end of the trap barrel you would have to rise the comb. Now you be playing with it all the time for different games. NO good. Good luck.

11. Bob Wilson

Bob Wilson TS Member

I am a sporting clays shooter who used my sporting clays gun on trap with the thought that every sporting clays course throws "trap" targets, so learn to hit them with the same gun. Then a year ago I had a stroke. I no longer have balance and can't handle recoil. Now my 28 gauge is my every day gun, with a full set of chokes, I can reach any target. SK for skeet, LM for sporting clays, IM for Trap. Size 8 shot, 7.5 does not pattern well in 28.

[

12. sptnclays

sptnclays Member

All of my guns shoot 50/50. I shoot sporting, skeet, fitasc and trap. 16yd to mid yardage high 90's are not a problem.
    It depends on how you shoot trap targets whether you need a high shooting gun. Some guys only want to move the barrel laterally. The key is to look at the target. A straight away, I have to look at the top of the target or alway the leading edge.
    When I shoot farther back I have a unsingle that prints 60/40. It allows me to see the target a little better.

13. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

At one time I thought a sporting gun was the answer for one does all. That proved to be a disaster for me. Since then, I've shot my trap doubles gun (K32) for all and any "other" disciplines and maintain a wonderful single barrel trap gun for singles and caps. The point is I did the reverse; a trap O/U for sporting, skeet, 5 stand, and of course, trap doubles - with choke tubes....breakemall...Bob Dodd

14. AJKohler

AJKohler Member

I usually shoot my trap gun for trap, but when I feel like a change, I shoot my clays/skeet gun (ASE 90) with 28-ga. tubes. Ran 25 the first time I tried, so I don't feel disadvantaged.

One thing I have done, though, is that since I primarily shoot trap, switching from high shooting to flat shooting was driving me nuts, not to mention ruining my scores (like anyone could tell!). So I ran the comb on the Beretta up so it sights and shoots like my Perazzi. It'll drive anyone else crazy, but I have a consistent sight picture anywhere I shoot, and while I'm not thrilled with my skeet and 5-stand scores (yet), they would not be any worse with a flat sight picture, and it keeps me happy.

Tony

15. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

I also use a trap gun (M/C stock,trap rib) for all games, was a slight learning curve but wouldn't change for anything now. You all but never lose sight of a target------sporting, everything.

16. finger

finger TS Member

For fun I once in a while take my skeet gun with 28 gauge tubes choked .007 and stand at the 16 or 20 yard line. That combo will break every target if you do your part. #9's too. Better not shoot with die hard trap shooters tho, they really do not appreciate it; think you are showing off. They are of course only partly correct. If I'm gonna show off I'll use the .410. It too breaks the targets without a problem. Happy New Year bob finger

17. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I shoot a skeet grade 1100 with a 30" full choke barrel. I can't seem to shoot the higher stocked trap models. I have had several. I can float the bird with my 1100 and if I don't raise my head the bird goes away. Works for me. Tripod

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.