1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Semi Custom .45 - Mark Krebs "POINTMAN"

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by Joe Schmo, Mar 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Schmo

Joe Schmo Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Well this post has been up for a few days now and it seems no one here knows anything about this gun. I have received a number of emails and PM's about an asking price, but as I've indicated, I'm not sure what to ask.

In spite of the fact that no one here knows anything about this gun, there are those who seem to know everything about everything. For example, it is a $400-$450 gun, it is a mix of various parts, and certain aspects of the gun are "just second rate".

Rather than go into any explanation or defense of the quality of my gun I'm simply going to take my posts down. I'm going to visit with Mark Krebs on Saturday just as I've written previously. If I decide to sell I will put it back up with an asking price.

Until then, thank you to those who posted, PM'ed, or emailed, with legtimate words or inquiry. For those who did other than that...... Well you know.....

Jim Barnes

2. dgh

dgh Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

Jim,

How much you looking to get for it?
    What accoutrements?

Doug

3. TD1958

TD1958 Member

0   0   0

I kave always struggled with being the buyer and the seller. LOL! Good Luck, Tim

4. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Who made the basic gun? In other words the name of the manufacturer on the frame. I'm guessing Dan Wesson.

Krebs only did modifications. I don't think he did frame up full customs.

If that's true it's probably worth about what a Dan Wesson Pointman sells for used.

5. Jerry944t

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Are you sure? I wasn't aware McCormick ever made frames. The manufacturer is next to the serial number.

Krebs never made slides that I know of. He may have modified the slide but I doubt he forged it.

You have to determine who made the basic "chassis" before you can value it.

6. C-Money

C-Money Active Member

0   0   0

The Pointman model is a Dan Wesson 1911. These 1911s are at the very top of the quality 1911 list.

7. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

lol on that last post! Tom Rhoads

8. Jerry944t

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Doesn't sount like a Dan Wesson Pointman to me. The OP hasn't confirmed that the manufacturer was Dan Wesson. He claims the frame was made by McCormick.

BTW at one time the Dan Wesson Pointman was a very good 1911 but far from the best. Not any longer.

9. g7777777

g7777777 Active Member

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

Would it have had a full length guide rod in 2000 or earlier?

Regards from Iowa

Gene

10. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

So is this a $3000. gun? Or are we just left to guess at selling price? An inquiring mind would like to know. :)

11. dgh

dgh Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

Ok,

I'll open with $200.00 since the auctioneer is holding out.. I know it is worth a bunch more, but gotta start it some where.

Doug

12. gunfighter001

gunfighter001 Member

0   0   0

Gun worth about $400 -maybe $450 who knows what u get

13. ken1okie

ken1okie Active Member

0   0   0

MrCormick did market frames at one time. I know 'cuase I sold one a few months ago.

14. Jerry944t

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Semi Custom .45 - Mark Krebs

That's interesting. I know McCormick builds a bunch of after-market parts for 1911's but didn't know he made frames. A quick Google search shows that he did as well as the gun itself which is clearly marked McCormick.

Having said that his present parts are not well regarded among custom 1911 builders. His magazines seem to function just fine.

I guess, like many things, quality was better when older.

Looks like a nice, well built 1911 that if it offered for sale would be difficult to value.

15. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

0   0   0

I owned a Pointman for quite a while a few years ago. It sure was purty!! Blue you would not belive!! Nice wood checkered grips too. Had a bit of a problem with it while it was brand new and that was the extractor needed to be 'tuned'. I called the factory and talked to a tech just about the time that CZ took them over and he said that unfortunately there were some that had left the factory that might have not been up to snuff. He said I could send it to them and they could take care of it, I declined and said I thought I might just know what was going on. Well what the hell I popped the extractor out and turned it around in its hole and grabbed it with a pliers and gave it a little twist to give it that 1911 adjustment that is sometimes needed to get the extractor to bite into the groove on the 45 ACP. Sum bitch ran like a sewing machine after that and it hit where you pointed it!!!!Might also add that I reseated 1000 185 SWC reloads I had bought off local guy that was using his burned out race guns as his criteria? for what was good to go. Had to set them back maybe .020 or more as in that brand new chamber they would not let the slide go all the way home. Needed the money so I let it go and I miss it but I like my Kimber Pro carry even better!! Bill

16. Jerry944t

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

You are talking two different guns here. Dan Wesson made a production gun called the Pointman. It was a very decent production gun.

The OP has a full custom gun made on a Chip McCormick frame and presumably slide made by a gunsmith named Krebs.

By happenstance they are both named "Pointman."

17. dgh

dgh Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

So where we at on this one???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

mark krebs 1911