1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Semi Autos Bad For Doubles?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rdland, Aug 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rdland

rdland TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have only been trap shooting for about three years. Both my wife and I really enjoy it. Until this year, we only shot singles and handicap. This year, we were talked into shooting doubles. We have had a great time with it and are both shooting respectable scores with O/U’s.

Recently, my father in law (doesn’t shoot trap anymore) gave me an extremely nice 11/87 Trap to try out. I really liked how the gun fit and I liked the swing. My scores were as good if not better than I was getting with my O/U. I am having fun and like both guns. The shooters at our local club never gave me grief about shooting doubles with a semi auto. However, at a large shoot, an accomplished shooter told me that many shooters considered shooting a semi auto on doubles rude and distracting. Primarily, because spent hulls may hit and distract another shooter on the squad. He was the only one that I heard this from but others may not have mentioned it.

I shoot right handed and my wife always posts to my right. After about 1000 rounds, only a couple hulls have hit her and they only hit her feet, usually after bouncing off the ground. When squading for doubles, if I am shooting the 11/87, I always inform other shooters that I am shooting a semi auto. If they have an issue we will gladly change squads. So far, no one that I have squaded with has had an issue with the semi auto.

I was also told by the aforementioned shooter that it is inconsiderate to make another squad wait while I pick up my hulls. With both my wife and I picking them up, I doesn’t take more than a couple minutes at the most. We usually have them picked up by the time the scores are added. If the range rules state that hulls that hit the ground belong to the range, I simply use my O/U and put empties in my shell bag because we save our spent hulls for reloading.

I am not trying to start a thread battle on O/U’s verses semis for doubles. I have and enjoy both. I have seen shooters shooting semis and pumps on doubles but O/U’s are the vast majority. My question to the experienced trap shooters on this site is: Is it considered rude or bad etiquette to shoot a semi auto on doubles? Especially when I make it a point to inform and have the consent of the shooter on my right and make it a point to inform the entire squad?

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You're doing just fine, keep up the good work. HMB

3. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Remington Trap barrels have a deflector pin that hits the empty hull as it ejects and diverts the hull projection down, so it won't hit the next shooter. You are fine, shoot away. Mark

4. Jason Hassler

Jason Hassler Member

I used to shoot a beretta 303 for everything including doubles. I never knew how distracting it could be to other shooters until I was shooting and had a semi to my left. I had to turn my body to the right and shield my gun from his shells. So if you're gonna shoot one I highly recommend having a knock down device installed if your gun doesn't have one already. You also didn't mention the biggest trouble with semis, reliability. You will have to keep it very clean so it will function correctly. The only thing that sucks more than getting shells rained on you is having a gun jam on every other turn the shooter has. Totally screws up squad rythm. A lot of semi shooters try to use old shells that have been loaded 20 times for doubles, avoid this as well. If you can stay on top of those two issues then most shooters could care less if you're shooting one. Although after shooting an o/u I would never want to go back to a semi so I don't know why you would want to but to each his own. As far as the shells are concerned, I would highly recommend shooting new disposable shells. Most registered shoots have rules against picking shells up and for good reason. This is also in your best interest...imagine breaking a 50 straight and instead of moving to the next trap and staying in the zone you have to stop to pick up shells...just my two cents.

5. ImpalaBob

ImpalaBob Member

If you are within the rules .... shoot what ever you want! If someone bothers me, I just don't squad with them. I do not DISTURB other shooters with MY likes and dislikes.

6. oz

oz Active Member

get one of those semi's that look like an AK47 and have fun. smile at the whiners.

7. dls guide

dls guide Member

You obviously don't reload. If you are serious about shooting doubles then get a good o/u and learn to shoot it. Eventually you will have a hard time finding any one to shoot with. Life is too short to be shooting an Auto shotgun.

8. mkstephen

mkstephen Active Member

The Winchester model 50 was known as the automatic that could really throw empty shells. They would fly out horizontally several feet and some were known to hit the second man to the right.

I've personally watched the great Frank Little (may he R.I.P.) hold his left hand to his face to protect it and his glasses from the Model 50 automatic throwing empty's to his left. Frank broke 100 x 100 and never said a bad word to the shooter on his left. This was way back when doubles were shot over four traps 30,20,30,20.

Michael Stephenson

9. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

What doubles needs is more shooters - not less. At shoots I go to they're lucky to get one or two squads of doubles shooters. There are a bunch of
    excellent new automatics on the market now, like the Fabarms Velocity and the Beretta Excel and I expect to see them in the hands of a lot of trapshooters.
    I have a double shell catcher on my 391, so it's no problem for the shooters on
    my squad. Those are available for the 303 and 390 and hopefully one day for
    other autos as well. Knockdown buttons can be installed on barrels that inhibit
    the ejection of the hulls. Leaving a post open next to the auto shooter is
    a better solution than discouraging him from shooting.

10. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    There are always going to be snooty Fudds looking down their nose on shotguns other than what they shoot, and some are especially anal retentive about semi-autos. A few are even on this very website.

If you have an auto that does not drop the empties at your feet or in front of you, have someone qualified add a knock-down pin to it. If you don't know someone, one of the regulars here, Tron, can do it.

11. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

A flat shooting semi auto is the perfect gun for doubles. You can spot shoot the first bird with 1 oz of 9s. and smoke the second bird with an 1 1/8 oz of 7 1/2s. No recoil to deal with and with 8 FTFs, malfunctions are not a problem. HMB

12. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Don't tell Pete McCall a semi-auto is no good for Doubles!!

13. happytrapper

happytrapper TS Member

Aren't you afraid that a hull will come apart on the first shot and lodging in the barrel and blowing the gun up on the secord shot? I would be

14. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

This is why I gave up shooting doubles...even with a shell deflector on my 1100 there are cranky squad members and the ever-present gun malfunction, not to mention porting resentment. Better to just shoot handicap. Regards, Ed

15. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

When I first started out shooting doubles I saw pumps and semi autos. God forbid if a shell hits a shooter on the next station nowadays. Most shooters today have very expensive guns and do not want them nicked up by a shell bouncing off their gun.

Should I decide to shoot doubles I use an 1100. When I walk to the line to shoot doubles I get a look as though I just soiled my pants. Occasionally, I have had shooters scratch off the squad. I miss the old days of trapshooting as this new breed of high priced guns is something else.

Regarding picking up hulls, don't.
    Steve Balistreri

16. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Just wait until bangerbad303 sees this thread, it will be fireworks time.

17. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    <i>"Aren't you afraid that a hull will come apart on the first shot and lodging in the barrel and blowing the gun up on the secord shot? I would be"</i>

Only when using Winchester hulls.

18. oz

oz Active Member

they complain about ejection but the stray clays from the adjoining skeet field is not a big deal!

19. JH

JH Well-Known Member

happytrapper,

HUH? Been reloading and shooting semiautos for over 30 years......never have had a problem....do the people you shoot with know how to maintain semiautos and/or KNOW HOW TO RELOAD?

Ignorance IS BLISS.......

P.S. The REAL reason behind denigrating semiautos is that the typical WANNABE shooter tries to BUY confidence by overspending in a o/u in the hopes of higher scores....and when a good semiauto shooter shows up and KICKS HIS BUTT....the fantasy IMPLODES!

20. schneep

schneep Member

Shoot whatever you want, and tell the rest to kiss your ass

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.