1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Semi-Auto Shotgun for4 NEW Clay Shooter?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by gold40, Mar 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gold40

gold40 Member

A 30 year old friend is showing interest in clay bird shooting. We have taken him several times to shoot skeet, trap, and sporting clays, using our guns.

Having tried our guns, and having a limited very budget, now, he wants to buy a low-end semi-auto with choke tubes as a "starter gun." He anticipates shooting two or three flats per year, as he learns, and decides which clay game he likes best. His budget won't carry much more than that.

We'll also introduce him to bird hunting this fall.

What experience have any of you had with the low-end semi-autos from Daly, Mossberg, Huglu, etc.? He's planning to spend about $300. We're also looking for a not-too-used 1100 in the same price range, but haven't seen any decent ones with tubes. Your comments will be appreciated.

JERRY

2. rjdden

rjdden TS Member

I agree with the above to a certain extent. Knowing the Mossberg as well as I do. I started shooting in 1971 and purchased a Mossberg 500 to start with. Then the Mossy guns were made with only one slide bar, they are now made with double slide bar. It was not that expensive to where it didn't break the bank. But this gun got me through till I could afford purchasing a Remington 870 Wingmaster. Of course these were all standard choked barrels, in which I do prefer over the newer choked ones of today. But that is my preference. That Mossy I shot approximately 12,000 rounds through it, and it never seen the inside of a smithies shop. That included hunting as well as Trap Shooting. I'm not to sure about the Semi Autos except I do know about the Remington 1100. If you look around you could find a good one, but, you have to look them over quite closely as to those having seals that might need to be replaced. It is quite hard to beat a good used Remington 870 Wingmaster 28" barrel Modified choke to start. They are known to be kickers to a certain degree but when you purchase your shells then look for the lower Dram ones and they will shoot great for you. After awhile when you could afford a new or nicer used gun then by all means go for it. I purchased a Remington 870 Wingmaster 12 gage for $175.00 and have used it several times since I purchased it. Purchased it from a Pawn shop localy here in the Phoenix area. It has a plain No vent Rib barrel 28" Modified choke. I have had the fortune of being able to purchase another barrel for it and this one is a Vent Ribbed one but stayed with the 28" Modified choke. The plain ribbed one I will use for hunting to save the ribbed one. But that has been my luck. And, when I go Trap shooting the birds break fairly consistantly. Rich.(inPeoria, Az.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.