1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Semi-Auto recoil

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ipscmaster, May 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ipscmaster

ipscmaster Member

I would like shooters opinions as to which semi-auto they feel has the softest felt recoil. I have an in-operable shoulder problem and don't want to shoot a sub gauge gun. I understand lower power shells will have less recoil and would like to continue to shoot with the softest felt recoil possible. Thanks for you opinions. Bill Crane

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Totally stock gun? Rem 1100 with the 1187 right on its heels.

Even softer is an old 1100 Magnum with a trap barrel.

Someone here was selling Jack West stocks with a recoil reduction device. Might be an idea to combine that with an 1100.

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Remington 1100 with weight added to the butt stock and inside the front of the magazine tube will have very little felt recoil when using 7/8 ounce shells. The more weight you add, the less felt recoil there will be. HMB

4. rocko

rocko Member

Yep 1100 is the softest shooting shotgun I have shot.

5. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

Any comments on a Beretta 391 or Winchester SX-3??

6. twopipe

twopipe Member

Beratta A400 with kickoff, low recoil with target loads, try one before you buy anything

7. Lovemy99

Lovemy99 Member

1100 or 11-87 with 1oz. loads at 1145 to 1200fps. This is the load/gun combo. that we use to teach kids how to shoot trap. Recoil is so easy, even my younger girls (11-12 yrs. old) shoot it just fine.

8. shoot em all

shoot em all Member

I shoot a 391 with a G squared stock and it is no recoil. Super x1 with it being a little heavier has very little. Recoil don't matter as much if you break em all. jim w

9. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Lighter shells and more weight coupled with a G-Squared device will eliminate as much felt recoil as can be done without just plain quitting. The stock fit will also have a great deal to do with perceived recoil as well. Beretta 391's or Super X 1's will be the best choice if you intend to shoot much. Otherwise you will need a boatload of spare parts to keep an 1100 running.

10. Joe O

Joe O Member

I put an ISIS on my 391 then added some weight. The Blue exhaust valve spring from Coles will slow the bolt speed(exhausts more gas),that helps. I can still shoot 1 oz loads at 1180 fps all day without a cycling issue. Actually I can shoot 1 1/8 too and have a hard time telling the difference because the gun absorbs the recoil so well. I just don't shoot anything over 1150 in 1 1/8.
    Joe O

11. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

I have a SX2 and firmly believe it forces less recoil on to the shoulder thsn a Rem 1100 which I have had two, up until recently.

Both the SX and Beretta come with adjustable stocks for cast on/off with angled shims that held direct the recoil away from your face.

You might want to look at a Benelli Super Eagle II. I have one with the left hand reciever and recoil pad, which is tapered along the side of the pad. I bought the extra high comb for it as well, but word of warning. While a soft shooting gun, parts are hard to get. Had to buy a receiver bolt from a 3rd party vendor, because I could not get one from Benelli or any of their authorized outlets.

12. missemucho

missemucho Member

1100 all the way; there are reasons why the "other" autos sell recoil reduction devices!
    John

13. shotgun 1

shotgun 1 Member

My vote goes to the 1100 Synthetic Competition, but they can be a bit heavy (9-2) for some. I swapped out the Pro Bore barrel for a light contour and it still weighs about 8-12.

I've got rheumatoid arthritis and one of its happy spots is my right shoulder and spine. Part of everyone's experience will be based to some extent on how the gun fits. I have an A400 Xtreme and it is a sweet heart with 7/8's ounce loads, but not quite as soft as the Syn Comp. My 391 has more recoil than either of the other two, but 391's can have all kinds of weight hung on them, so when someone comments, it would be nice to know what they have done to the gun. I had an SX2, and I know some say they are quite light, but it seemed the same to me as the Browning Gold.

The ticket is 7/8's ounce loads at 1200 fps or less to really reduce felt recoil.

Dave

14. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

An older 303, 390 sport, or Super x1.

15. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Another vote for a Beretta auto with a G-Square recoil reducer.

I have the following shotguns:

Beretta 390 Sporting 12 gauge with a G-Square<BR>
    Beretta 391 20 gauge with a Gracoil<BR>
    Remington 1100 Sporting 28 gauge<BR>
    Remington 1100 Sporting .410 gauge<BR>
    Caesar Guerini Summit Sporting 20 gauge with a Gracoil

The only gun that has lesss felt recoil than the 390 with the G-Squared is the Remington 1100 Sporting .410 gauge.

Jim Skeel
    P/W Dealer/Distributor

16. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

I use a PFS on my break open guns, but I have a "Soft touch" composite stock on my 390. The soft touch does a good job and makes shooting the 390 a pleasure.

JON

17. Trapmanjohn

Trapmanjohn Member

Try a Beretta 390 Sport with a soft comb. Second is Rem. 1100. The Beretta will be more reliable if you want to shoot doubles.

Hit 'em hard,

John

18. superxlou

superxlou Member

While the Browning Gold is not very a reliable semi auto, it is by far the softest shooting twelve gauge I have ever shot.

19. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

My softest shooting trap gun is a Remington 1100 Standard 20 gauge, with a recoil absorbing stock that is on the Remington Synthetic Pro, and 3/4 oz loads. JM

20. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Out of the three I've used the 303,Super-x1 and the 1100. The 1100 was the best by far for recoil. But people feel recoil differently. I would recommend you try as many as you can and see what you like.

Ajax

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.